PDA

View Full Version : Ability Scores and Feat Suggestions for a VHuman Fighter

Expected
2018-09-11, 02:21 AM
I'm considering a VHuman Battle Master Fighter that wears heavy armor and uses a polearm with PAM, GWM, Resilient (Wis), and Sentinel, but I can't decide on additional feats or which array is better between 16-8-16-8-15-8 or 16-12-16-8-13-8. Any suggestions?

LudicSavant
2018-09-11, 03:07 AM
I'm considering a VHuman Battle Master Fighter that wears heavy armor and uses a polearm with PAM, GWM, Resilient (Wis), and Sentinel, but I can't decide on additional feats or which array is better between 16-8-16-8-15-8 or 16-12-16-8-13-8. Any suggestions?

I'd lean towards Array #2 for +2 init/Reflex/stealth at the cost of -1 wis saves. Sure, every bit of WIS counts, but I think the larger bonuses make up for it.

As for feats, I'd focus on shoring up the fighter's weaknesses, for the same reason that people usually advise Resilient (Wis).

Lucky will not only let you mulligan, it also lets you turn disadvantage into super advantage, at least according to Sage Advice (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/). It basically will help you be better at anything in a pinch, and you always can decide to reroll after seeing the roll. It's like a better version of Indomitable, usable 3 times a day, that stacks with Indomitable. You get 3 uses of Indomitable at level 17.
Ritual Caster gives you actual non-combat relevance. If you don't already have any good ritual casters in your party (like a Wizard or Tomelock) this is especially valuable.
Alert. The difference between "Winning initiative and not being surprised" and "Losing initiative and being surprised" is basically two whole rounds worth of actions. It even makes it harder for certain kinds of enemies (like Rogues) to hit or crit you.
Mobile will help you spend more rounds actually in melee and make you a little more difficult to kite. Unfortunately, its dash feature won't get you through something like Plant Growth, which technically isn't difficult terrain (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/30/plant-growth-how-does-that-difficult-terrain-work-with-the-druid-lands-stride-ability/).
Prodigy can get you expertise in a skill, which helps a bit with non-combat relevance too (though not so much as adding Ritual Caster to a party without a ritual caster will).

CTurbo
2018-09-11, 03:25 AM
I like 16, 12, 16, 8, 13, 8

Level 1 PAM
Level 4 +2 Str
Level 6 Sentinel
Level 8 +2 Str or Res(Wis)
Level 12 Res(Wis) or +2 Str

And with the last 3 I'd probably take Magic Initiate, Ritual Caster, Lucky, Alert, or Mobile.

I'd definitely take Magic Initiate OR Ritual Caster and then choose 2 of the others.

NinaWu
2018-09-11, 07:01 AM
Second array for sure.
First feat I always go for is lucky.
Someone else mentioned alert which is a great idea too.

Expected
2018-09-11, 08:47 AM
If I correctly understand how Lucky works, I can theoretically not only negate stealth disadvantage three times a day, but also turn it into trivantage. I am definitely taking Lucky. I will also seriously consider Alert and Ritual Caster. Any more suggestions?

Keravath
2018-09-11, 09:17 AM
Actually, one of the better uses of Lucky on a tank/front line is to mitigate critical hits. You can use Lucky to roll again on the opponents attack roll and choose the lower die.

However, it is only 3 times/long rest so it is a last resort resource rather than something you blow to turn an occasional miss into a hit since the second chance is as likely to fail as the first.

Lucky can also bolster critical saving throw misses but again it is a choice that has to be carefully made. A second saving throw against banish is worth a lot more than a second save against a fireball unless the damage from the fireball is enough to put you down (and you don't have a team mate that can get you back up).

-------

Another choice for later ASIs could be +2 con since by level 20 this represent 20 additional hit points and improved con saves. However, the Tough feat would be +40 extra hit points at level 20 so depending on how you find the character playing out and whether you need some hit points it could be an option.

-------

The other thing to consider is ranged attack options. The 12 dex set is better since at least you can use a long bow even though your to hit and damage will be a bit sub par ... if you need ranged then there is nothing more frustrating than standing around holding your polearm and wishing they were closer or pulling out a javelin and praying they come within 120' so you can at least try to hit with disadvantage. I've seen this often enough with strength builds that you definitely want even a minimal ranged attack to fall back on (Though Magic Initiate with a couple of ranged cantrips can also be a decent option).

R.Shackleford
2018-09-11, 07:39 PM

You already will deal good damage without piling on all those feats.

I would look to diversify and expand what you can do instead of hyper focus.

Resilient Wis, PAM or Sentinel, and then something like Ritual Caster or Mobile.

Mobile is a great with Sentinel as it helps you get to a target and then stick to them. If other creatures block your path, you have a way to easily get past them.