PDA

View Full Version : What do we need?

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-09-11, 07:53 AM
Today my party is going to start SKT and we might have another person joining but I'm not sure what class and race are best. I was thinking ranger or arcane archerer. So far we have:

Tabaxi Drunken Master (stealth)
Goliath Conquest Paliden (Tank/healer)
Goblin Giant soul sorcerer (hill) Who mostly melees. Casting shillelagh and casting enlarge to smack enemies. (caster)

I was thinking we need some range like a ranger or a fighter.

Sigreid
2018-09-11, 08:03 AM
Seems to me you could really use a druid or cleric to help keep everyone healthy and buffed.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-11, 08:59 AM
I agree--a Druid would be great. You're missing out on magical utility, control, and healing, all of which a Druid can give you. Dreams or Shepherd, maybe.

My other suggestion would probably be Wizard, another flexible-high-utility caster. You lose out on the Druid's excellent out-of-combat healing (Goodberry, Healing Spirit), but gain in terms of blasting and buffing. (Though since you seem to be allowing UA, an Artificer or Theurgey Wizard can get some of that healing back...)

Any way you slice it, though, I'd look for a caster type. You've got three melee frontliners already.

JellyPooga
2018-09-11, 09:25 AM
The correct answer is, of course, "whatever this new guy wants"...but it doesn't hurt to make suggestions!

With a Monk, Pally and a Sorcerer, there's a while heap of leeway for a fourth;

- Druid and Wizard have both been mentioned and would both be good shouts.
- There's a bit of a lack of Rogue in the party; the Monk can scout, sure, but the Sorc is probably too spell-starved to fill any kind of utility and while social scenes can probably be split between the Pally and Sorc, there's still room for a loremaster (arcana, religion, history), explorer (perception, investigation, thieves tools) and general purpose athlete (stealth, athletics, acrobatics) to compliment the Monk. Rogue is also great for back-line or front-line support in combat.
- For similar reasons to both of the above; Bard. He's got teh skillz, he's got teh healz and he's got teh controlz. Bards are awesome.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-11, 09:39 AM
The correct answer is, of course, "whatever this new guy wants"...but it doesn't hurt to make suggestions!

With a Monk, Pally and a Sorcerer, there's a while heap of leeway for a fourth;

- Druid and Wizard have both been mentioned and would both be good shouts.
- There's a bit of a lack of Rogue in the party; the Monk can scout, sure, but the Sorc is probably too spell-starved to fill any kind of utility and while social scenes can probably be split between the Pally and Sorc, there's still room for a loremaster (arcana, religion, history), explorer (perception, investigation, thieves tools) and general purpose athlete (stealth, athletics, acrobatics) to compliment the Monk. Rogue is also great for back-line or front-line support in combat.
- For similar reasons to both of the above; Bard. He's got teh skillz, he's got teh healz and he's got teh controlz. Bards are awesome.

Bards, sadly, have been banned for our party.

Completely my fault.

Sigreid
2018-09-11, 11:01 AM
Bards, sadly, have been banned for our party.

Completely my fault.

Yeah, some of the threads you two start turn into the forum's Jerry Springer. 😂

ProsecutorGodot
2018-09-11, 11:03 AM
The party composition of the group I'm in currently has been serving us well so far. We're just about done with SKT, cleaning up the last of the side quests before taking on the big bad.

-Blood Hunter 5 (Profane Soul Celestial) Wizard 6 (War): My Character, DPS/Support mix with utility spells and a Tressym Familiar.
-Sorcerer 11 (Draconic Bloodline): Blaster Caster, Boom Boom Fire Lady.
-Bard 11 (Glamour): Controller, Healing Word machine, wanted to fight the fire giants at level 3.
-Ranger 7 (Gloom Stalker) Fighter 4 (Battlemaster): Wood Elf Sharpshooter DPS, killed a young green dragon in one round.

It looks to me like your group is missing on the utility and ranged front. A lot of the area's you fight in for this campaign tend to be large (giant sized even :smallamused:) and not having a ranged option will hurt even more so that usual.

As much as I'm just parroting what's already been recommended, you would really benefit from a Druid. Strong ranged options, strong supportive options and arguably even better at healing than a cleric.

My secondary recommendation, in case you want some variety, would be Celestial Warlock. It's clearly not as good as a supporting class when compared to Druid's but Warlocks have their own uses and versatility. Near the end of the campaign you'll also gain access to what is in my opinion a very useful class feature in Celestial Resilience, it's a party wide source of Temp HP which could really save your skins in a pinch.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-11, 06:46 PM
Yeah, some of the threads you two start turn into the forum's Jerry Springer. 😂

Is that bad or good?

I don't watch Jerry Springer, so I have no idea of the context. I'm assuming bad (because duh), but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure.

Sigreid
2018-09-12, 08:26 AM
Is that bad or good?

I don't watch Jerry Springer, so I have no idea of the context. I'm assuming bad (because duh), but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure.

Havent watched it many times but its reputation is as a circus of WTF. I dont consider it good or bad but it can be entertaining and come across as a train wreck.

Edit: on segment I saw they brought a woman out so her fiance could introduce her to his gay, midget, stripper boyfriend.