PDA

View Full Version : Ice Knife spell and Sneak Attack

Spectrulus
2018-09-11, 02:00 PM
Hey all!

Ice Knife initially does piercing damage, then explodes into cold damage. Should it qualify for Sneak Attack damage (at your table)?

The rule in my book states it needs a finesse or ranged weapon, but the spell mentions conjuring a knife and throwing it.

How would you guys play with this?

Beelzebubba
2018-09-11, 02:04 PM
Hey all!

Ice Knife initially does piercing damage, then explodes into cold damage. Should it qualify for Sneak Attack damage (at your table)?

The rule in my book states it needs a finesse or ranged weapon, but the spell mentions conjuring a knife and throwing it.

It's a ranged spell attack, not a weapon attack, so no.

To contrast, Shadow Blade, a spell that does work that way, has this to say:

It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties

Ventruenox
2018-09-11, 02:04 PM
You make a ranged spell attack with Ice Knife, not a weapon attack. On that basis it is ineligible for Sneak Attack, but feel free to houserule whatever you like at your table.

RSP
2018-09-12, 08:28 AM
Hey all!

If you’re thinking “throwing a knife, regardless of the material it’s made from, should count for sneak attack,” then I’d also suggest just making it a weapon attack, with usual Str/Dex as an attack/damage, rather than casting stat.