PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bladelock advise

WrabbitW
2018-09-11, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I am theory crafting the next character I am planning to play and I wanted to know what you think. It is going to be a warlock with the hexblade patron so that I can focuse on CHA when increasing ability score. I would go as follow:

I would choose Human variant to get the polearm feat (I would start with an extra 1d4 attack that benefits from all the bonuses of invocations and curses).

Initial stats would be : STR 8 DEX 14 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 16

First a level of fighter to get proficiency in CON save for concentration and to get the defense fighting style. AC should be 17 at this point (increase to 18 when I have enough gold for half plate) does it feel enough for a melee fighter?

Then I would go only hexblade warlock hitting with a glaive (with charisma). I plan on using a lot opportunity attacks (polearm) and darkness on the glaive+evil's sight to get advantage on the rolls.

Invocations : Improved pact weapon (maybe worth dropping at higher levels?), Evil's sight, thirsty blade and lifedrinker when available and tomb of levistus for more protection. The others invocations for utility or some boost for eldricht blast.

Spells : Armor of Agathys , Arms of Hadar, Hex, Darkness, the smites from Hexblade and a lot of fun stuffs for higher levels

Ability score improvement : The first two for CHA then Sentinel and Great Weapon Fighter (not sure in which order)

What do you think? Any advice?

Thanks!

Keravath
2018-09-11, 03:41 PM
Just a quick comment but you won't be able to hit with charisma using a Glaive until you are third level in warlock. The Hex warrior feature does NOT apply to two handed weapons (but it DOES work with all pact weapons). As a result, hex warrior won't work with either glaives or bows out of the box. You need to get to level 3, choose Pact of the Blade, and then make your pact weapon a glaive in order to use the hex warrior feature with it. (You would also need the improved pact weapon invocation if you wanted to use hex warrior with a bow).

This means that you will be using a quarterstaff as your polearm up to level 4 if you want to use polearm master and charisma to hit at the same time.

---

An alternative approach might be to go vHuman and just go hexblade taking resilient con at first level and polearm master at 4th level. Your stats don't look like you plan to use heavy armor and the only extras that a 1 level fighter dip are getting you are con saves and the second wind ability. This gives up polearm master for levels 1-3 with the benefit that you aren't slowing your hexblade progression.

WrabbitW
2018-09-11, 04:07 PM
I did know about the pact weapon subtility but actually I am playing adventurers league so I can remodel the character untill I get to level 4 so my plan was to go ranger for the first levels (to get free scale mail) and then switch to my actual character. That is not very "immersive" and role game spirit so I would have to talk about it with the DM.

For the variant you proposed I feel like for this build slowing warlocks features is better than slowing ability improvement but I might be wrong. What do you think?
By the way would you pick sentinel or great weapon fighter first?