PDA

View Full Version : Best build for Sunbeam?

jaappleton
2018-09-11, 07:58 PM
It may seem like a silly thing to focus on.

But I just reached level 11. It’s the highest level I’ve ever reached. My first time getting sixth level spells.

And ever since I first opened up the 5E PHB, I’ve loved the spell. Easily my favorite spell in the game.

I’m in a very Undead heavy campaign, and I’d love to just absolutely wreck things with it.

To my recollection, there are 4 classes with the spell:

Druid
Sorcerer
Wizard
Bard via Magical Secrets

Now... Wizard and Land Druid can actually cast it twice per day, via Arcane / Natural Recovery. (They can't, I'm dumb) But that’s only Land Druids, and I find all their other features (and the rest of their spell list) to be pretty piss poor.

Sorcerers can’t, as Flexible Casting only goes up to 5th Level spells.

Bards... Well they offer Expertise and Inspiration. Which is cool but it’s not blasting Undead with sunlight and blinding them with DisAdv on their save.

Now, only Druids and Bards (and Divine Soul Sorcs) can also heal. Wizards can’t.

There is one more build which, at my table, can get Sunbeam. My DM gave his blessing to add it to the Cleric spell list.

So...

Wizard (can’t heal)
Divine Soul (can’t cast it twice)
Land Druid (meh)
Bard (gets other stuff)
Cleric (???)

Eragon123
2018-09-11, 08:05 PM
Sorcerer.
Quicken sunbeam followed by an action to make another one. Hard to argue with 12d8 damage especially if you also empower it.
😈

ImproperJustice
2018-09-11, 08:33 PM
I agree with the above post.

Sorceror empowered blasting will feel more epic than a dual casting.

Also, you can extend it for 1 sorcery point for two minutes (20 rounds) of pure blasting goodness.

Or careful spell and avoid harming your allies.

Quietus
2018-09-11, 10:01 PM
Sorcerer.
Quicken sunbeam followed by an action to make another one. Hard to argue with 12d8 damage especially if you also empower it.
😈

Doesn't work, you can't cast two full spells a turn, even with quicken. Best you can do is a full spell and a cantrip.

leogobsin
2018-09-11, 10:07 PM
Doesn't work, you can't cast two full spells a turn, even with quicken. Best you can do is a full spell and a cantrip.

Sunbeam lets you create another line as an action, so you're not casting two spells, you're casting as a bonus action and then 'reactivating' the spell as an action.

Foxhound438
2018-09-12, 12:13 AM
So...

Wizard (can’t heal)
Land Druid (meh)
Bard (gets other stuff)
Cleric (???)

*divine intervention*

"what do you want", says Pelor, the god of the sun who I worship

"put sunbeam on my damn spell list you stingy bastard, why do I not get that but this dumb drow wizard that's never seen an iota of sunlight can cast it whenever the hell he wants, why do I spend all day every day praising the sun to be rewarded with a giant kick in the face in the form of not being able to cast the spell that is most linked to the sun's power how can you justify withholding this power from me but granting it to every sorcerer whose great grand dad was a hill giant that itself never has seen the sun either why does the druid get to use the sun's glorious power when he only cares about talking to birds and doesn't even thank the sun when it rises I've spent nine years grinding orcs into (...)", says the cleric as he shakes his percentile dice

Aaron Underhand
2018-09-12, 12:44 AM
Now... Wizard and Land Druid can actually cast it twice per day, via Arcane / Natural Recovery. But that’s only Land Druids, and I find all their other features (and the rest of their spell list) to be pretty piss poor.

Sorcerers can’t, as Flexible Casting only goes up to 5th Level spells.

Arcane / Natural Recovery is limited to 5th level slots as well

So...

Wizard (can’t heal)
Land Druid (meh)
Bard (gets other stuff)
Cleric (???)

Bard will only get the spell at 14th level with Magical secrets - off the table

I’m in a very Undead heavy campaign, and I’d love to just absolutely wreck things with it.

Cleric - Channel divinity might also be handy

or Sorcerer with metamagic tricks

...but you'll still do it only once/day

ATHATH
2018-09-12, 02:00 AM
*divine intervention*

"put sunbeam on my damn spell list you stingy bastard, why do I not get that but this dumb drow wizard that's never seen an iota of sunlight can cast it whenever the hell he wants, why do I spend all day every day praising the sun to be rewarded with a giant kick in the face in the form of not being able to cast the spell that is most linked to the sun's power how can you justify withholding this power from me but granting it to every sorcerer whose great grand dad was a hill giant that itself never has seen the sun either why does the druid get to use the sun's glorious power when he only cares about talking to birds and doesn't even thank the sun when it rises I've spent nine years grinding orcs into (...)", says the cleric as he shakes his percentile dice
This is brilliant.

McSkrag
2018-09-12, 02:10 AM
It may seem like a silly thing to focus on.
It's not. Sunbeam is super cool.

Wizard (can’t heal)
Land Druid (meh)
Bard (gets other stuff)
Cleric (???)
I can't figure out how you can cast it more than 1/long rest with any class build. Maybe some sort of magic item?

So I think Divine Soul Sorcerer will give you the most out of your 1 level 6 spell slot. I also think a Divine Sorcerer Undead Hunter has a really cool flavor to it.

sophontteks
2018-09-12, 06:38 AM
Quicken spell allows you to cast additional spells while creating new beams every round. I don't think any other class has anything that can compete.

jaappleton
2018-09-12, 08:15 AM
I hadn't even considered using Quickened or Extended Metamagic with it. Wow, this... WOW. I'm grinning with glee over the prospect of that, that is just plain amazing!

That bit about Pelor was hilarious, and I really do think Clerics should get it by default. I mean... come on. Its SUNBEAM. Clerics, divine radiant energy, its not hard to connect the dots.

(Bard can get it, just don't pick something when you get MS at level 10. Just wait a level.)

McSkrag
2018-09-12, 11:06 AM
That bit about Pelor was hilarious, and I really do think Clerics should get it by default. I mean... come on. Its SUNBEAM. Clerics, divine radiant energy, its not hard to connect the dots.
Yeah it does seem weird that Clerics don't get Sunbeam. Until you mentioned it I just assumed it was on the Cleric list.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-12, 11:43 AM
I hadn't even considered using Quickened or Extended Metamagic with it. Wow, this... WOW. I'm grinning with glee over the prospect of that, that is just plain amazing!

(Bard can get it, just don't pick something when you get MS at level 10. Just wait a level.)

Also keep in mind that you can empower it any time you inflict damage with the spell. Not just the first beam. Glad we could help.
I have a 9th level Sorceror and I plan to grab Sunbeam as my level 6 pick when the time comes as well.

Snowbluff
2018-09-12, 11:59 AM
Sorcerer.
😈

Yeah, this is good for a lot of spells, like Call Lightning. You can also quicken spells to keep up the hurt on the bonus action while still spamming beams.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-09-12, 12:02 PM
Sunbeam and moonbeam are some of my favorite spells as well. Really wish that there was a staff for Druids with them.

Staff of The Eclipse . Like a staff of thunder and lightning only radiant damage and stuff. Maybe biggest charge use is a combined version of the two spells.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-12, 12:25 PM
I think sunbeam is best on a Venusaur but personally I like to keep my Bulbasaur from evolving.

Wait, that's solar beam.

Carry on.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-12, 12:41 PM
You can't cast any sixth level spell twice until a. You get a seventh level slot to cast it in. Or b. You hit level 19 and get a second 6th level slot.

Arcane and natural recovery only recovery up to a 5th level slot.

jaappleton
2018-09-12, 12:59 PM
You can't cast any sixth level spell twice until a. You get a seventh level slot to cast it in. Or b. You hit level 19 and get a second 6th level slot.

Arcane and natural recovery only recovery up to a 5th level slot.

"You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher."

AttilatheYeon
2018-09-12, 01:06 PM
I agree with the above post.

Sorceror empowered blasting will feel more epic than a dual casting.

Also, you can extend it for 1 sorcery point for two minutes (20 rounds) of pure blasting goodness.

Or careful spell and avoid harming your allies.

Careful spell only makes your allies auto save. Evoker's sculpt spell reduces the damage to 0.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-12, 01:07 PM
"You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher."

I can't tell if you're trying to support my point or refute it. I'm going to treat it as refuting unless you say otherwise.

"and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher."

It's quite explicit you cannot use arcane recovery to recover slots of sixth level or higher.

jaappleton
2018-09-12, 01:14 PM
..............RIGHT YOU ARE!

Well hot damn, that's what I get for reading it too fast.

My apologies.

Foxhound438
2018-09-12, 02:01 PM
..............RIGHT YOU ARE!

Well hot damn, that's what I get for reading it too fast.

My apologies.

lol I had a similar situation playing pathfinder the other day.

Strangways
2018-09-12, 02:06 PM
As a Moon Druid I once cast Sunbeam then shifted into Air Elemental form. With the benefit of my 90’ fly speed, ability to hover, and immunity to grapple and paralysis (among other things), I then proceeded to carve up a battlefield full of something like two dozen ghouls and other undead.

Aaron Underhand
2018-09-13, 04:13 AM

AFB but I don't believe this works. Bard can't get till 14th

Beechgnome
2018-09-13, 06:03 AM
Definitely sorcerer with quickened for that first round double-tap of sunbeam.

I would also look at divine Soul as your origin to get a couple good non-conbonus action spells to accompany it, like spiritual weapon, or sanctuary.

Say, round one: quickened sunbeam as BA, fire another sunbeam as action.
Round two cast bonus action spiritual weapon, sunbeam action
Future rounds: BA spiritual weapon, sunbeam action (potential d8+5 force or more with upcast, 6d8 radiant each round at no additional spell slot cost).

If you Take Divine word (also a BA) at 13th, it and sunbeam could clear a room of undead or outsiders pretty quickly.

jaappleton
2018-09-13, 01:36 PM
Quick question on Quicken Sunbeam

Is it just the blast from the initial casting that becomes a bonus action, or all blasts of it become a bonus action?

I think it’s the former but I want to be sure.

And my DM may actually rule the latter... Seriously.

Eragon123
2018-09-13, 02:00 PM

Is it just the blast from the initial casting that becomes a bonus action, or all blasts of it become a bonus action?

Most people play it the former. And the latter is still fine, you may not get the two a round beam but you do get the opportunity to cast another spell more cheaply rather than quickening every single one. Or you can send out a bonus beam them dodge or dash.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-13, 05:19 PM

The former is RAW.

If your DM rules that way have a blast beating people up with a quickened sunbeam and standard firebolt.

Even better get 2 levels of warlock, grab grasp of hadar and repelling blast, start the turn off by moving 2-3 people who aren't in a line into one and then sunbeam them.

Corran
2018-09-14, 08:42 AM
As other people have mentioned, divine soul sorcerer (Pelor worshiper). For three reasons:

1) Quicken
2) Empower
3) But most importantly... know how most of the clerics of your faith will look down on you because you are not a part of their organized religion (being a divine soul and all)? Rub it in their faces how the sun god grants you powers they were deemed unworthy of having! :smallbiggrin:

Dalebert
2018-09-14, 09:18 AM
*divine intervention*

Pelor:

Go out into an open field, alone. Before the sun rises, strip naked and lie there until my sun has crossed the sky and sunken below the horizon. Do not move; not for any reason. Fulfill this small quest for me and I will grant your request at dawn the following day.

About 10am some insects crawl on you but finally leave.
About 1pm, some squirrels come over and hide nuts under you. One bites your toe a little.
About 6pm, just before sunset, a pack of wolves surround you. They sniff at your naked body. They circle you. One growls close to your face. Assuming you don't budge, they eventually leave and the sun sets.

The next morning as the tip of the sun peaks over the horizon, it sends a intense shaft of light in your direction, blinding you for several minutes and actually causing a small amount of radiant dmg and you find you can now prepare Sunbeam.