PDA

View Full Version : Logic and physics puzzles

Kane0
2018-09-12, 02:25 AM
So my current group first met doing escape rooms, and quite a few members are engineers and the like. At my encouragement they are trying out some D&D as a more budget friendly get together during the week and i’m starting them out with Tales from the Yawning Portal until they have developed enough to strike out on their own and forge their own adventures.
Knowing my audience they would really enjoy some logic and physics based puzzles as part of a complete breakfast, in addition to the more standard combat encounters and a sprinkling of riddles and intrigue for good measure.

So, my question is: does anyone have any cool ideas for these kinds of non-combat encounters, especially requiring teamwork (its a large group)? Or even better, know of any good sources of them?

Oramac
2018-09-12, 07:18 AM
Tales from the Yawning Portal

Take a look at Tomb of Horrors in that book. It's pretty much all puzzles and traps and ****. IIRC there's only 2-3 combat encounters in the whole thing.

It's also EXTREMELY deadly, so keep that in mind too.

============================

Also, I found this (https://www.scientificpsychic.com/mind/mind1.html). You could probably re-flavor them into D&D based puzzles.

Kane0
2018-09-12, 04:11 PM
Some simple ones I've come across without getting into numbers, codes and such:

- Tilting Floors (balance both sides or go through the middle)
- Reflecting light through a room to unlock the way forward
- Mixing and matching colors to unlock the way forward
- Levers/switches that must be used in combination, some do nothing and others do more than one thing
- Mural depicting historical event, with one detail or aspect that is incorrect and provides the way to proceed
- Spot-the-difference, but through a magic mirror
- Actual games/mini-games like Tetris, Minesweeper, Sliding Blocks, Chess, etc
- Abusing shifting gravity/portals to get places the party otherwise cannot
- Spaces too small/remote for PCs to get to and must navigate by proxy such as a familiar or mage hand
- The way to proceed is buried or otherwise obscured, location hinted at elsewhere
- Illusions that can temporarily be made real
- Standard pit trap, but the stakes at the bottom are rotten. Still have to get out though (variant of this is the oil trap, with the ignition source long since expired)
- Alchemy lab, to proceed you have to mix a particular brew
- Magnets (they're quite underutilised)