PDA

View Full Version : Is this homebrew cantrip OP?

Dronedevil
2018-09-12, 06:45 AM
So here goes for my first post

So I'm somewhat new to the game, and thought I'd want one of my next characters to be an Enchanter Wizard. The DM allows some homebrew content, and I thought up a cantrip. It is supposed to be a signature cantrip that they made themself. My intent is for the cantrip to be more of an thematic cantrip as the character is all about being disruptive loud and abrasive. I've made two versions.

Migraine
(Enchantment cantrip)
Casting time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60 feet
Components: SV
Duration: Instantaneous

You gesture towards a creature. It must pass a Constitution saving throw or suffer 1 psychic damage as a throbbing pain flashes through their mind.

And

Migraine
(Enchantment cantrip)

You gesture towards a creature. It makes a concentration check as a throbbing pain flashes through their mind.

They both serve the same purpose of disrupting concentration. The first one is more general, having some minor use against non concentration opponents while requiring a save, whilst the second is a guaranteed effect with no damage.

If any of these are OP, or could use some buffing, please toss any ideas you might have my way. If you prefer one over the other, feel free to share that too.

- Dronedevil

[EDIT]
The cantrip is supposed to be a Bonus Action to be used in conjunction with Hypnotic Gaze. I do not intend to change either the spell level or the bonus action aspect.

Kadesh
2018-09-12, 06:49 AM
Remove the Bonus Action, and no. Its less that it is OP and more that few other Cantrips (Shillelagh and Magic Stone being the exceptions) use the Bonus Action.

nickl_2000
2018-09-12, 07:00 AM
I agree with Kadesh, there is no reason that this cantrip should be a bonus action.

As an action, it is underpowered though. Personally I would say that it should do 1d6 psychic damage on a failed con save. There is no reason to add in a rider that they need to make a concentration check, because if you damage someone they always have to do that. You also need to add in the improvements as you level. An extra 1d6 damage at level 6, 11, and 17

Another possible option is that you do 1d4 psychic damage and force them to make any concentration check at disadvantage. Then at level 5, 11, and 17 you add 1d4 damage each time.

JDanton
2018-09-12, 07:01 AM
So here goes for my first post

So I'm somewhat new to the game, and thought I'd want one of my next characters to be an Enchanter Wizard. The DM allows some homebrew content, and I thought up a cantrip. It is supposed to be a signature cantrip that they made themself. My intent is for the cantrip to be more of an thematic cantrip as the character is all about being disruptive loud and abrasive. I've made two versions.

Migraine
(Enchantment cantrip)

You gesture towards a creature. It must pass a Constitution saving throw or suffer 1 psychic damage as a throbbing pain flashes through their mind.

And

Migraine
(Enchantment cantrip)

You gesture towards a creature. It makes a concentration check as a throbbing pain flashes through their mind.

They both serve the same purpose of disrupting concentration. The first one is more general, having some minor use against non concentration opponents while requiring a save, whilst the second is a guaranteed effect with no damage.

If any of these are OP, or could use some buffing, please toss any ideas you might have my way. If you prefer one over the other, feel free to share that too.

- Dronedevil

OP?! This cantrip seems drastically underpowered to the point of being completely useless. First, do not make a cantrip a bonus action, if you cast a spell as a bonus action then you can only use a cantrip as your main action which means on the turn when you use this cantrip you can only use another cantrip. Second, constitution saving throws are the mot common saving throw making this kinda useless, intelligence or wisdom would be a better and more thematic save. Third and most importantly, literally any spell that causes damage forces a concentration saving throw and they do damage and can have other effects, having a spell that just disrupts concentration is redundant and useless when any damaging cantrip does its job but better.

I would suggest either;
1) making it a damaging cantrip that deals psychic damage and makes a caster roll with disadvantage on concentration saving throws, make the damage scale to keep it relevant
2) have it be a concentration spell that constantly deals 1d4 psychic damage every round to keep triggering concentration saving throws and maybe imposes some kind of disadvantage
3) Keep it as is but have the effect last for more turns, preventing the caster from casting a concentration spell as long as the spell persists
4) Make it a higher level spell and take these effects further (more damage, longer lasting effects, etc.)

Dronedevil
2018-09-12, 07:01 AM
Remove the Bonus Action, and no. Its less that it is OP and more that few other Cantrips (Shillelagh and Magic Stone being the exceptions) use the Bonus Action.

The point of the cantrip is that it's supposed to be a Bonus Action. That's what I tried to balance it around

Kadesh
2018-09-12, 07:08 AM
I mean, why, though? Forcing a Concentration save as a Bonus Action is either just going to have a Caster giving off free Concentration debuffs if they're not using their Bonus Action much already (Booming Blade Rogue) and otherwise be so underpowered as it competes against using a spell slot.

Itself is not OP, but it against the general design plan of 5e Cantrips, which are intentionally there to be 'if you don't have anything better to do, do this' for Casters, which means that certain users smash its useability out of the window, while others just go for a duck.

nickl_2000
2018-09-12, 07:19 AM
The point of the cantrip is that it's supposed to be a Bonus Action. That's what I tried to balance it around

Okay, then if you are wanting to keep it as a bonus action you should remove damage completely. How about this instead.

Migraine
(Enchantment cantrip)
Duration: 1 round

You gesture towards a creature causing pressure to build in their head. They must make a constitution save or they get disadvantage on their next concentration save due to a pounding headache.

The only concern I have on this is that it will bog down combat somewhat. Also note that this has a duration, so it only last until the beginning of your next turn. Also it only gives disadvantage on 1 save. Both of these are limiting factors on the spell that are there on purpose.

Dronedevil
2018-09-12, 07:21 AM
Itself is not OP, but it against the general design plan of 5e Cantrips, which are intentionally there to be 'if you don't have anything better to do, do this' for Casters, which means that certain users smash its useability out of the window, while others just go for a duck.

Oh ok. The idea is to insentivise Hypnotic Gaze. The reason it's a Bonus Action cantrip is because while using Hypnotic Gaze, I'd only have access to a bonus action, so I'd like to be able to do something. I'd also like if that something wasn't that OP. My DM (who is quite new) said I could have Vicious Mockery as a Bonus Action, but that I feel would be way to strong and taking advantage of the DM's inexperience. So I settled for making my own, less powerful cantrip. It's going to be a cantrip exclusive to my character and kinda part of the characters identity in a way.

Dronedevil
2018-09-12, 07:25 AM
Yeah that could work. Thanks ^-^

sophontteks
2018-09-12, 08:18 AM
Any damage as a bonus action cantrip is probably going to be overpowered. Its something you'll do every round you cast a spell just to get more damage in, which isn't the cantrips purpose.

You are right not to take vicious mockery as a bonus action. That would break the game.

Hypnotic gaze only requires the initial save and from there its duration is indefinate with no saves to escape. The balance is requiring your action. Circumventing this breaks the balance. It shouldn't be something you are doing every encounter, but its a nice tool to have in your pocket. Its use out of combat is espesially compelling.