PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever imagine...?

Zerkai
2007-09-15, 12:20 PM
Na, this is a thread for people with overly active imaginations concerning DnD. Feel free to post and comment on others.

Anyone else ever imagine a group of bards singing and playing modern songs? Or Bards making people spontaniously break out into song and dance?(Musicals anyone?)

Fax Celestis
2007-09-15, 12:22 PM
Or Bards making people spontaneously break out into song and dance?

Actually, yes.

Solo
2007-09-15, 12:25 PM
I've always wanted to play as a member of a group of bards... and then totally rock out.

Darth Mario
2007-09-15, 12:45 PM
I always wanted a Bard spell that could force someone to break out into song...

Fax Celestis
2007-09-15, 12:48 PM
I always wanted a Bard spell that could force someone to break out into song...

Tasha's hideous singing?

Karsh
2007-09-15, 12:56 PM
Otto's Irresistable Song and Dance Number

ocato
2007-09-15, 01:10 PM
Reminds me of Team Charisma. I forget the details, but it was a half-baked plan for a full team of charisma characters. Bard, Sorcerer, I think the fighter-type was like a hexblade or a duskblade or one of those guys, beguiler was skill monkey I think... this was a long time ago.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-15, 01:29 PM
Getting together a band in D&D would be awesome, but how would you get the necessary instruments? I mean a guitar, not a lute, and drum set instead of bongo.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-09-15, 01:36 PM
Anyone else ever imagine a group of bards singing and playing modern songs? Or Bards making people spontaniously break out into song and dance?(Musicals anyone?)

This happened in a really huge, wildly metaphorical, and sort of Tolkien-esque book called The Stone and the Flute. (Note: by Tolkien-esque, I mean it can probably go over the head of the casual reader and be really, really boring if you're just getting into it for leisure-reading.)

Anyone ever imagine a merry necromancer/illusionist, as evil as they come? Using Ghost Sound to simulate a full orchestra playing ridiculous carnival music, standing on top of a building and seeming to jovially conduct the music while his undead horde chases people down and tears them apart?

... No?

Uh, me neither.

I'm sane.

hippie_dwarf
2007-09-15, 01:37 PM
I always thought that if you got a +1 Guitar, it would be an eletric guitar. That would be cool, you could form a metal band :smalltongue:

Arbitrarity
2007-09-15, 02:17 PM
I always thought that if you got a +1 Guitar, it would be an eletric guitar. That would be cool, you could form a metal band :smalltongue:

I think I used Sculpt Sound to do that once.

Nope, I simmed an orchestra with my harp. Of course, blowing a 3'rd level slot for a +2 circumstance modifier isn't my cup of tea, but making a DC 40 preform check in a village of around 500 people can be fun.

Dairun Cates
2007-09-15, 02:24 PM
Despite not being a bard, I once had to do the most happy and sugar song and dance number possible to drive an evil soul-sucking multi-dimensional fear-and-pain-loving demon crazy enough with happy feelings to do actual damage. The demon actually had to free me halfway through the battle through fear of me killing it before the party even got to her. Keep in mind that this was all done by a cynical and sarcastic character with an 8 charisma. I actually had to roll a will save against my dignity.

Before you ask, yes, this was the final boss. Yes, we did effectively beat them with the power of song. No, the power of Macross is not love.

slexlollar89
2007-09-15, 06:32 PM
I always tried to convince my DM to let me use a mithril +1 shocking lute as an electric guitar. The guy i had in mind woild use it battle as an "his psychadelic axe" (battleaxe stats). Of course it ould be an exotic weapon.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-15, 07:21 PM
I always tried to convince my DM to let me use a mithril +1 shocking lute as an electric guitar. The guy i had in mind woild use it battle as an "his psychadelic axe" (battleaxe stats). Of course it ould be an exotic weapon.

Actually, I once had an idea to play as a guy with a +1 shocking, screaming (or whatever the sonic damage enchantment is) greataxe that can turn into a guitar when needed.
I quickly dropped the idea though...:smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-09-15, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of Team Charisma. I forget the details, but it was a half-baked plan for a full team of charisma characters. Bard, Sorcerer, I think the fighter-type was like a hexblade or a duskblade or one of those guys, beguiler was skill monkey I think... this was a long time ago.

I suggested that, actually. I think there's still a link in my sig.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2625536).

Orzel
2007-09-15, 07:52 PM
Na, this is a thread for people with overly active imaginations concerning DnD. Feel free to post and comment on others.

I was in a campaign like that. I was the bassist. I got a bonus to Hide and free concealment since no one ever notices the bass player. We created a feat that let us rock and force people to dance and sing.

My bass was also a greataxe.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-15, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to implement a class that literally attacks with magic, not just buffin', thought that would also be in the class. For example, creating furious riffs for a blast of sonic energy, or just really fast random strumming for creating fire.

Quietus
2007-09-15, 08:06 PM
I'm trying to implement a class that literally attacks with magic, not just buffin', thought that would also be in the class. For example, creating furious riffs for a blast of sonic energy, or just really fast random strumming for creating fire.

Reminds me of Nikki and Irenes in Chrono Cross... using picks as their weapons, so awesome...

Orzel
2007-09-15, 08:26 PM

That's what the guitarist and vocalist could do. The bassist summoned and the drummer healed.

That was the most fun party in a campaign I ever had. I wish he let me keep the sheets.

Mr Pants
2007-09-15, 08:29 PM
In a Modern campaign that I played in as a bard i had songs chosen to be my Inspire Confidence and Competence, and for a countersong I yelled
"REMIX!!"

Azerian Kelimon
2007-09-15, 08:35 PM
eeeh, bards, the ultimate underdogs (it the truth, if I want a bard, I take factotum). the class I'm making is called Master of the Music/Musical Warrior, and is actually based on truly extraordinary music, not just something that is oh so emotional it inspires me a bit. What I want is that the class can make the equivalent of a true strike at first level, instead of a +1/+2 bonus. And for high levels, I want them to break hearts literally with sad songs, or to crush your brain with the pressure from sound waves (to illustrate the preparation for it, see Star Power from the guitar hero series, where you can amazingly nail notes any way you like and magnify them).

KillianHawkeye
2007-09-16, 05:17 AM

Heh, did you ever watch Silverhawks when you were a kid? (For those who don't know, it was made by the same people as Thundercats, but not as popular.)

Spacefrog
2007-09-16, 06:53 AM
Getting together a band in D&D would be awesome, but how would you get the necessary instruments? I mean a guitar, not a lute, and drum set instead of bongo.

Guitars are older than most people realize. Putting an instrument very like an acoustic guitar into a quasi-mediaeval setting is't at all unrealistic.

Of course you'd have to bring in magic if you wanted an 'electric' one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar#History

Zerkai
2007-09-16, 11:24 PM
This is giving me several ideas... Musical campaigns..... bard bands...

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-17, 05:44 AM
This happened in a really huge, wildly metaphorical, and sort of Tolkien-esque book called The Stone and the Flute. (Note: by Tolkien-esque, I mean it can probably go over the head of the casual reader and be really, really boring if you're just getting into it for leisure-reading.)

Anyone ever imagine a merry necromancer/illusionist, as evil as they come? Using Ghost Sound to simulate a full orchestra playing ridiculous carnival music, standing on top of a building and seeming to jovially conduct the music while his undead horde chases people down and tears them apart?

... No?

Uh, me neither.

I'm sane.

Consider the idea nicked, that is just AWESOME :smalltongue:

sophosbarbaros
2007-09-17, 05:59 AM
Heh, did you ever watch Silverhawks when you were a kid? (For those who don't know, it was made by the same people as Thundercats, but not as popular.)

Silverhawks! Yes indeed!

I was reading through this thread just waiting for a Silverhawks reference.
That has always been my vision of a metalbard

Zoraciel Ivtel
2007-09-17, 03:34 PM
I was joking around with a friend, and we came up with the best campaign ever:

You are a dwarven boyband who travels the country solving mysteries with your dragon named Scooby Doo.

Whether or not that campaign ever happens, my next character is going to be a stuck-up dwarven opera star...just because I can.:smallwink:

slexlollar89
2007-09-17, 03:49 PM
I did a couple goups of bards (in the setting, a church controled evrything, and evil/binder/druids were heretical):

The Binders, a group of binders, who pretend to be bards that "are binders". They played with a violin, lute, harp, drums, and horns. they aslo actually bound vestiges on stage as part of their "act"

PAGAN, an evil bard guitarist, a warforged on organ, a succubus on second vocal, and a vampire punk on lead lute and vocal (he could hold notes indefinately becaus he didn't inhale!). There was also two CE paladins, one was addicte to luhix and the party had to help him out.

The Dwarves (this is a real punk band, but i borrowed the name), they are dwarves, with attitude, but theri lead singer was actually a gnome in disguise.