PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Enchanted Gemstones (magic items)

rferries
2018-09-12, 12:01 PM
Enchanted Gemstones, Lesser
These large and sparkling jewels glitter with their own inner light, even in total darkness. They are imbued with powerful magic, granting protection that varies according to the gem's type and strength (see below).

An enchanted gemstone does not occupy a body slot but must be worn or carried by a creature to bestow its protection. A gem may be fashioned into a piece of jewelry, affixed to a weapon or piece of armour, or even simply carried in a character's pocket.

Gemstone Type

Element

Amethyst
Sonic

Diamond
All

Emerald
Acid

Ruby
Fire

Sapphire
Cold

Topaz
Electricity

Each lesser gemstone grants energy resistance 10 to its associated energy type. A lesser enchanted diamond instead grants resistance 5 against all energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, force, light*, negative energy, and sonic).

Furthermore, the weapons (including unarmed strikes and natural weapons) of a lesser gemstone's bearer are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Faint Abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, resist energy; Price 36,000 gp.

*Such as from a sunbeam or sunburst spell.

Enchanted Gemstones, Moderate
These jewels function as described above for a lesser enchanted gemstone, save that they grant energy resistance 20 (or 10 for a moderate enchanted diamond).

Furthermore, their bearer's weapons deal an additional 1d6 damage of the associated energy type (or 1d4 force damage for a moderate enchanted diamond). This damage does not stack with damage from the flaming, frost, or similar special magic weapon abilities.

Moderate Abjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, resist energy; Price 84,000 gp.

Enchanted Gemstones, Greater
These jewels function as described above for a moderate enchanted gemstone, save that they grant energy resistance 30 (or 15 for a greater enchanted diamond).

Furthermore, any creature striking the bearer with a melee weapon (including unarmed strikes, natural weapons, and touch attacks) takes 1d6 damage of the associated energy type (or 1d4 force damage for a moderate enchanted diamond).

Moderate Abjuration; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, resist energy; Price 132,000 gp.

Enchanted Gemstones, True
These jewels function as described above for a greater enchanted gemstone, with the following provisos:

They grant immunity to the associated energy type (or energy resistance 30 against all energy types for a true enchanted diamond).
The bearer's weapons deal an additional 2d6 points of damage of the associated energy type (or 1d6 force damage for a true enchanted diamond).
Any creature striking the bearer in melee takes 2d6 points of damage of the associated energy type (or 1d6 force damage for a true enchanted diamond).

Strong Abjuration; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, energy immunity; Price 182,000 gp.

Huge cost for being slotless items, so I threw in some side benefits. Too much, too little? Also considering making diamonds grant an an enhancement bonus to attacks, deflection bonus to AC, and resistance bonus to saves instead of the "rainbow" energy resistance... perhaps even hardness as well? Or having the power of all gems scale with their bearer's character level?

Bonus (which was my original idea, before I did my usual thing and went overboard haha):

Enchanted Gemstones, Least
These jewels function as described above for a lesser enchanted gemstone, save that they grant energy resistance 5 (or 2 for a least enchanted diamond).

Faint Abjuration; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, endure elements; Price 6,000 gp.

brian 333
2018-09-12, 12:18 PM
The slot system exists to limit the number of powers a character may have at any one time. Game balance must be carefully considered when bypassing such restrictions. This caution stated, I like the idea.

Additional ideas:

Hematite/Bloodstone: +2 bonus to stabilize when at negative HP. +2 bonus to save vs. Wounding attack.

Jet: +2/+10% vs Negative Energy or resistance vs. Negative Energy damage.

Jade: +1HP per Cure/Heal spell or potion die

Turquoise: +1 universal saving throw bonus (Luck)

rferries
2018-09-13, 06:43 AM
Yeah, hence the x2 gp modifier for crafting slotless items (which I decided was too much and used as a weaselly excuse to give extra powers haha).

I like all your ideas!