PDA

View Full Version : Backstory help

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-09-12, 12:11 PM
We are about to start a new campaign and my dm is allowing me to multiclass raven queen warlock with a tempest cleric dip. If I can figure out a cool backstory.

This is where I need help I plan on being a halfling sub race undetermined probably light foot or ghostwise.

Any help would be awesome thank you in advance.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-12, 12:37 PM
In your village, you are a stormguard.

While this sounds really cool, it mostly means you were a guide for folks traveling through your lighting-storm infested lands. The halflings live here safely, as they mostly live underneath the earth, but they still need to work outside, and so they had "stormguards" keep guard, not for bandits, but for....well, storms! Leave it to a Halfling to come up with a bada** name for someone who tells others when to hide from the weather!

Worshipping storm gods was very common in your area, and coincidentally, the metal rods used in the construction of their statues made villages like yours much safer. Part of your duties included guiding travelers to the next storm god shrine, which are designed to be safe havens for this land.

You were a little bit experienced at it (not dead yet!) but some dumb wizard refused to put away his magic staff during a particularly bad storm. When you tried to forcefully separate it from the wizard, a lightning strike hit it, killing the wizard, breaking the staff, and nearly killing you.

The chaotic magic of the staff + lightning, the death of the wizard (who was a secret necromancer dabbling in lichdom), and the near death of you drew a slight amount of attention from the Raven Queen. She drew interest in such a small creature trying to defy powers much greater than him, and the fact that you casually risk death made you a worthwhile tool. She offered a small portion of her power, as long as you kept the boundaries between life and death strong. With her power, you are able to recover from the lightning strike. You quickly teach your replacement (Lightning bad! Hiding good!) and began your quest to seek out those who meddle in undeath.

==================
I particularly enjoy relatively mundane stories that only use a few events. I prefer just enough to explain your "level 1" backstory, and the rest can be filled in with events from questing or such (how much work does it really take you to get to level 1 to 5?). If you wanted something more grand and suitable for a level 15 character, then it's probably not for you.

Bnewby724@gmail
2018-09-12, 10:09 PM
I love it thank you it reminds me of final fantasy x

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-13, 09:58 AM
I love it thank you it reminds me of final fantasy x

That's actually exactly where my inspiration came from!

The Thunder Plains was such a cool area. I've used something similar in a few of my campaigns, and my players thought it was really cool. It gave a lot of incentive to plan out their travels.