PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Infinity Stones (artifacts)

rferries
2018-09-12, 12:39 PM
A bastardised conversion of the comic and film versions of the stones.

The Infinity Stones
These gemstones are so radiant they seem to be fashioned from pure light. Each has been imbued with power over a particular aspect of the multiverse, which grows in proportion to the strength of their bearer.

It is said that whomsoever possess all six Stones will be granted a wish or miracle of surpassing power, or perhaps simply gain the ability to use limited wish three times per day as a spell-like ability. The stones must be forged into a special Infinity Gauntlet to be used in this way.

An Infinity Stone does not occupy a body slot but must be worn or carried by a creature to bestow its protection. A Stone may be fashioned into a piece of jewelry, affixed to a weapon or piece of armour, or even simply carried in a character's pocket.

When a character uses a Stone to duplicate a spell as a spell-like ability, their character level must be at least twice the level of the spell they wish to duplicate.

Space
Three times per day the bearer of this Stone may use any Conjuration (Teleportation) spell as a spell-like ability.

Mind
Three times per day the bearer of this Stone may use any Enchantment spell as a spell-like ability.

Furthermore, the bearer of this Stone gains a +6 enhancement bonus to their Intelligence and Wisdom scores, or if not already sentient is subject to a greater awaken (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553923-Greater-Awaken-Conversion-(spells)) effect for as long as it bears the Stone.

Reality
Three times per day the bearer of this Stone may use any Illusion spell as a spell-like ability.

Time
Three times per day the bearer of this stone may use any spell with the [Time] descriptor (haste, moment of prescience, slow, temporal acceleration, time stop, and any similar spells as determined by the GM) as a spell-like ability.

Furthermore, the bearer of this Stone is subject to a constant foresight effect.

Power
Three times per day the bearer of this stone may use disintegrate or any spell with the [Force] descriptor as a spell-like ability.

Furthermore, the bearer of this Stone gains a +6 enhancement bonus to their Charisma and Strength scores, a +5 enhancement bonus to their caster level, and a +5 enhancement bonus to their base attack bonus.

Finally, they gain a +5 bonus to their character level for the purpose of using other Stones.

Soul
Three times per day the bearer of this stone may use any Conjuration (Healing) or Necromancy spell as a spell-like ability.

Strong (all schools); CL 20th.

nonsi
2018-09-13, 01:00 AM
nitpick: It is said that whomsoever possess all eight six Stones will be granted a wish or miracle.

But that typo has given me an idea: Since they're called "The Infinity Stones", why not make one stone per spell school?
I understand that this would make them extremely powerful, but I'm guessing that the intent is to make them plot items, not treasure for permanent keeping, so it should be OK.

Razade
2018-09-13, 02:48 AM
These are not great. The "have to be double the level of the spell they want to use" pretty much these all useless until high level and the reward to have all of them granting a wish is pretty useless at high level. These range from absolutely terrible (Space, Reality, Soul) to hideously overpowered (Mind, Power) and give absolutely no bonus to non-casters. All the bonuses are for caster stats except their BAB (which...who cares at high level when you have other methods of attacking even as a melee and a +5 is a drop in the bucket).

These...would need work. Lots of work.

rferries
2018-09-13, 06:57 AM
nitpick: It is said that whomsoever possess all eight six Stones will be granted a wish or miracle.

But that typo has given me an idea: Since they're called "The Infinity Stones", why not make one stone per spell school?
I understand that this would make them extremely powerful, but I'm guessing that the intent is to make them plot items, not treasure for permanent keeping, so it should be OK.

Ooops, thanks for pointing out the typo. Fixed.

I like your idea - I made an earlier set of gems along broader themes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?551112-The-Gems-of-Power-(quasi-World-Building)&p=22844361#post22844361) too. This post was intended as a conversion of the Marvel Comics items though, even with their admittedly flawed themes (e.g. Space and Reality seem redundant, as do Mind and Soul).

You should brew up the spell school versions though, those sound pretty cool!

These are not great. The "have to be double the level of the spell they want to use" pretty much these all useless until high level and the reward to have all of them granting a wish is pretty useless at high level. These range from absolutely terrible (Space, Reality, Soul) to hideously overpowered (Mind, Power) and give absolutely no bonus to non-casters. All the bonuses are for caster stats except their BAB (which...who cares at high level when you have other methods of attacking even as a melee and a +5 is a drop in the bucket).

These...would need work. Lots of work.

The trouble with homebrewing artifacts (or any homebrew really) is resisting the temptation to make them too powerful. These are intended as self-limiting, scaling level-appropriate items with respect to the SLAs, as the other bonuses are generally just flat numerical bonuses. Note that the double-spell-level requirement means that you simply access SLAs at the same level as a sorcerer would be able to cast the spell.

I also dispute the caster-only comment; if anything most of the gems are more useful for non-casters as they overlap with abilities that casters already possess.

However, I fully admit that the abilities are awkward versions of the Marvel Comics items. Obviously they'd be overpowered if the followed the comics or even the MU, this was an attempt to capture the flavour without derailing a campaign (e.g. "I snap my fingers and kill all the BBEGs and evil deities in the universe").

Darth Ultron
2018-09-13, 09:05 PM
A bastardised conversion of the comic and film versions of the stones.

Based on the movie ''they just do whatever"? The Comics after 2000 or so where they just do ''stuff''? Or like the before 2000 comics where they had specific powers and made sense?

This post was intended as a conversion of the Marvel Comics items though, even with their admittedly flawed themes (e.g. Space and Reality seem redundant, as do Mind and Soul).

Again, you should look to more of the before 2000 comics where they made more sense.

Space-control of space, distance, dimensions.
Reality-define what is, except for the areas the other stones cover
Mind-telepathy
Soul-the spirit and nature of a person, outside of their conscious mind

However, I fully admit that the abilities are awkward versions of the Marvel Comics items. Obviously they'd be overpowered if the followed the comics or even the MU, this was an attempt to capture the flavour without derailing a campaign (e.g. "I snap my fingers and kill all the BBEGs and evil deities in the universe").

Each one individually is not so 'over powered', again at least in pre 2000 comics. Most importantly they are made to work together, so each is of limited effect by themselves. The power one provides the power to do massive things, for example.

It does not seem ''too powerful" for:

Space: cast Dimension Hop(PHII) at will, use any conjuration spell 3/D, Teleport 1/D.

Mind: Telepathy at will, use any enchantment/charm spell 3/D, Telepathic Bond 1/D.

Reality: prestidigitation at will, use any Transmutation spell 3/D, Fabricate 1D

Time: Haste at will, use any [Time] spell 3/D, Temporal Acceleration(XPH) 1D

Power: Mnemonic Enhancer(retain only) at will, use any [force] spell 3/D, Mage’s Lucubration 1/D

Soul: Suggestion at will, use any Bard spell 3/D, geas/quest 1/D

Rater202
2018-09-17, 12:05 PM
The way the Reality Gem is described is that it's basically a Cosmic Cube on Steroids at the cost that thigns get wonky if you don't have superhuman intellect or powerful psionics, and/or try to control something under the dominion of one of the other Stones.

Meaning at Bear Minimum the average being needs the Mind and Reality Stones to be a Reality Warper and you're not gonna be able to safely use it to give super Powers or mess with energy, warp space, affect time, or mess with souls.

As has been said, they're meant to be used collectively: All of the Other Gem's become more powerful when wielded with the Power Gem, Power Gem's infinite reserves of energy are the power source of the other Gem's. (This is in addition to the Power Gem's functions of controlling all forms of energy there ever was, is, and will be and enhancing super powers,) and the Reality Gem's control over reality can't be properly used unless one already has the other Gem's control over the other five aspects of reality and the attendant perks that come with them.

Also, Thanos uses the Gauntlet for a reason. The Infinity Gauntlet was created to not only serve as a vessel for the gems but to help combine and focus their power. It doesn't fit with the Fluff, but I'd use it as an Artifact that's useless on it's own and takes up the Glove slot but placing a Gem into it focuses them Gem's power, resulting in extra perks per Gem you have. (Like say, some bonus for having a Gem in the Gauntlet and another for each other gem in the guantlet)

rferries
2018-09-17, 01:57 PM
Based on the movie ''they just do whatever"? The Comics after 2000 or so where they just do ''stuff''? Or like the before 2000 comics where they had specific powers and made sense?

Again, you should look to more of the before 2000 comics where they made more sense.

Space-control of space, distance, dimensions.
Reality-define what is, except for the areas the other stones cover
Mind-telepathy
Soul-the spirit and nature of a person, outside of their conscious mind

Each one individually is not so 'over powered', again at least in pre 2000 comics. Most importantly they are made to work together, so each is of limited effect by themselves. The power one provides the power to do massive things, for example.

I'm only familiar with Starlin's original miniseries and the film, though I'd argue they were still pretty nebulous/overpowered even in those cases e.g. the Power Stone allowed one of the Elders to destroy an entire planet with one punch, and remotely usurp another Elder's control of the Time Stone.

It does not seem ''too powerful" for:

Space: cast Dimension Hop(PHII) at will, use any conjuration spell 3/D, Teleport 1/D.

Mind: Telepathy at will, use any enchantment/charm spell 3/D, Telepathic Bond 1/D.

Reality: prestidigitation at will, use any Transmutation spell 3/D, Fabricate 1D

Time: Haste at will, use any [Time] spell 3/D, Temporal Acceleration(XPH) 1D

Power: Mnemonic Enhancer(retain only) at will, use any [force] spell 3/D, Mage’s Lucubration 1/D

Soul: Suggestion at will, use any Bard spell 3/D, geas/quest 1/D

All nice ideas! I kept the Stones powers relatively general (as I was lazy haha) so they could accomplish most of what you suggest, but I've done some edits. I'd note that I based the Reality Stone off of the films (where it was portrayed as creating illusions) rather than the comics (where it was basically at-will wish).

The way the Reality Gem is described is that it's basically a Cosmic Cube on Steroids at the cost that thigns get wonky if you don't have superhuman intellect or powerful psionics, and/or try to control something under the dominion of one of the other Stones.

Meaning at Bear Minimum the average being needs the Mind and Reality Stones to be a Reality Warper and you're not gonna be able to safely use it to give super Powers or mess with energy, warp space, affect time, or mess with souls.

As has been said, they're meant to be used collectively: All of the Other Gem's become more powerful when wielded with the Power Gem, Power Gem's infinite reserves of energy are the power source of the other Gem's. (This is in addition to the Power Gem's functions of controlling all forms of energy there ever was, is, and will be and enhancing super powers,) and the Reality Gem's control over reality can't be properly used unless one already has the other Gem's control over the other five aspects of reality and the attendant perks that come with them.

Also, Thanos uses the Gauntlet for a reason. The Infinity Gauntlet was created to not only serve as a vessel for the gems but to help combine and focus their power. It doesn't fit with the Fluff, but I'd use it as an Artifact that's useless on it's own and takes up the Glove slot but placing a Gem into it focuses them Gem's power, resulting in extra perks per Gem you have. (Like say, some bonus for having a Gem in the Gauntlet and another for each other gem in the guantlet)

Yeah, my versions are more accessible for PCs and I think I've kept the Power Stone flavour via the character level bonus. Good point about the Gauntlet!

Corenthius
2019-01-26, 12:32 PM
I have a few Suggestions with these.

1. They are imbalanced with each other. Some stones grant entire spell schools, while others grant a limited selection. Space stone only grants teleporting spells, while the mind gem grants the entire enchantment school and stats. Try to limit each stone to a certain spell descriptor. Mind Stone - limited to [Mind-Affecting] spells, Soul - Resurrection and Death spells, Reality - should be transmutation spells not illusion. Remove the extra fluff from the Power Gem including amplifying the other stones.

2. Why have some gems granting +6 to two stats and other gems granting no bonus. Just have each gem grant a +6 to a stat.

3. Instead of a blanket 3/day, Allow them to cast up to 30 spell levels per day. Example: a character could cast three 9th level spells and one 1st level spell, or they could cast six 5th level spells.

4. If you wanted them to scale with level you could instead allow them to cast 1-1/2 spell levels per character level rounded up. The stat increases could be +1 for every 3 character levels. That way the powers would continue to increase into epic levels.

5. Change the +6 enhancements to +6 untyped, inherent, or divine.

6. Gem Stacking - Each additional gem you possess increases the allotted spell levels of each gem by 3. Possessing all 6 stones increases the allotted spell levels of each gem by 15.

7. Wielder of Infinity - When possessing all 6 stones, you may cast any epic spell 1/week or month.

rferries
2019-01-26, 10:49 PM
I have a few Suggestions with these.

1. They are imbalanced with each other. Some stones grant entire spell schools, while others grant a limited selection. Space stone only grants teleporting spells, while the mind gem grants the entire enchantment school and stats. Try to limit each stone to a certain spell descriptor. Mind Stone - limited to [Mind-Affecting] spells, Soul - Resurrection and Death spells, Reality - should be transmutation spells not illusion. Remove the extra fluff from the Power Gem including amplifying the other stones.

2. Why have some gems granting +6 to two stats and other gems granting no bonus. Just have each gem grant a +6 to a stat.

3. Instead of a blanket 3/day, Allow them to cast up to 30 spell levels per day. Example: a character could cast three 9th level spells and one 1st level spell, or they could cast six 5th level spells.

4. If you wanted them to scale with level you could instead allow them to cast 1-1/2 spell levels per character level rounded up. The stat increases could be +1 for every 3 character levels. That way the powers would continue to increase into epic levels.

5. Change the +6 enhancements to +6 untyped, inherent, or divine.

6. Gem Stacking - Each additional gem you possess increases the allotted spell levels of each gem by 3. Possessing all 6 stones increases the allotted spell levels of each gem by 15.

7. Wielder of Infinity - When possessing all 6 stones, you may cast any epic spell 1/week or month.

1 & 2 - these attempt to duplicate the functions of the original Gems; like the official ones they aren't all as useful as each other. Point well taken though!

3-7 - all good suggestions; I'm just kind of done with this particular post haha. You're definitely right though.