PDA

View Full Version : Feats for Frogs

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-15, 12:50 PM
I need abit of help chooseing a feat and id like to see what others think of the choices, my character is a Kua-Toa who is adventuring with a party on a quest of something something, we have just leveld up to level 3 and its time for me to choose a feat.

My level plan was to first of all get through my racial levels so i have to take 5 levels of Monstrous Humanoid then at 6th level take bard, although this might seem abit long haul just for bard i think it is worth it so i need to choose a feat to make it worth while, i was thinking of taking Weapon focus as i have a full BAB as a frog man but i don't think that would help me to much as a Bard, my level 1 feat was toughness. does anyone have any ideas?(i use a sheild and short spear 300 style!!!)

bosssmiley
2007-09-15, 01:09 PM
Leap Attack! ... No? ... I'll get me coat. :smallwink:

Profession: Investigative Journalist or Theatre Manager?

Serious note. Spell Focus: Enchantment and (IIRC) the combo of Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot are useful for low level non-melee bards.
Comp Adv. and Comp Arc. have a lot of good bard-specific feats if you DM allows them.

Leon
2007-09-15, 01:14 PM
Skill Focus: French Cuisine

Swooper
2007-09-15, 01:18 PM
I'd like to point out that Kua-Toa are fishmen, not frogmen. You're confusing them with Bullywugs for some obscure reason. Actually, were Bullywugs ever converted to 3.x? I haven't read the MMs past volume II so I wouldn't know.

hippie_dwarf
2007-09-15, 01:21 PM
Join the ranks of the psionic and take the feat that lets get 1 power point and learn a 1st level power. I'm going to try and persuade the rest of our party to do that, and then all other magic will be obsolete MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!....:smalleek:

Oh...you wanted something useful... or a bard frog? Well first problem is that bard and useful very rarely come in the same sentence unless it's "Guess whats not useful? Bard!"

Get scent. It's just plain cool and groovy. But not as coold groovy as psionics :smallwink:

CrazedGoblin
2007-09-15, 01:22 PM
I'd like to point out that Kua-Toa are fishmen, not frogmen. You're confusing them with Bullywugs for some obscure reason. Actually, were Bullywugs ever converted to 3.x? I haven't read the MMs past volume II so I wouldn't know.

they look more like frogs to me :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2007-09-15, 01:24 PM
Leap Attack! ... No? ... I'll get me coat. :smallwink:

Profession: Investigative Journalist or Theatre Manager?

buahaha,
I hope i'm not the only one who gets that.

Swooper
2007-09-15, 01:42 PM
they look more like frogs to me :smallbiggrin:
That might have something to do with the MM picture of them being something worse than utterly awful. I still have the 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium, and in there they're clearly fishmen, much better picture. Go find some more background about them and you'll discover the same.

TheThan: No you're not, my GF has infected me with her fondness for the Muppet Show so I grinned too when I saw that.

Maroon
2007-09-15, 01:57 PM
Skill Focus: French Cuisine
Be a ranger instead and take Favored Enemy: Lobster. Allons enfants de la Patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé...

buahaha,
I hope i'm not the only one who gets that.
It ain't easy being green.

Ceres
2007-09-15, 01:59 PM
That might have something to do with the MM picture of them being something worse than utterly awful. I still have the 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendium, and in there they're clearly fishmen, much better picture. Go find some more background about them and you'll discover the same.

Then again, weren't kobolds hairy back then? But I guess the kuo-toa having no jump-bonus speaks for itself. Still, you can always homebrew them.

UserClone
2007-09-15, 02:05 PM
Bullywugs were in 3.0, in the FR book Monsters of Faerun.

Leon
2007-09-15, 02:32 PM
Bullywags are in DDM so they'll be in a book somewhere (a FR book i think)

kpenguin
2007-09-15, 05:04 PM
Well, the image (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG164a.jpg)from the 3.5 MM looks like a frog to me, but this one (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ud_gallery/52062_CN.jpg) from Underdark looks fishy.

Their goddess is a lobster woman, so anything goes, I guess.

ocato
2007-09-15, 06:19 PM
Oh...you wanted something useful... or a bard frog? Well first problem is that bard and useful very rarely come in the same sentence unless it's "Guess whats not useful? Bard!"

I will have you know that Bards are not useless, and that Frog Bards are an important part of american culture.

http://cache.idolator.com/assets/resources/2006/08/kermit.jpg

Because if you hate Kermit the Frog, you hate America. And God. And Happiness.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-15, 06:25 PM
You've got scales, right? Get some chameleon-type stealth feat. And as I recall (from some computer game), Kuotoa throw lightning bolts? May want to Ability Focus in that.

Also, if you have full BAB, use it. Take power attack or something like that, and get with the smashing. Drop the shield, take a bigger spear. I'd say a barbarian would be a more appropriate class than a bard. Also, see if your DM will let you use the PHB2 retraining rules to take something else in the place of Toughness, because that's a bad feat.

Track also sounds rather appropriate.

kpenguin
2007-09-15, 10:51 PM
You've got scales, right? Get some chameleon-type stealth feat. And as I recall (from some computer game), Kuotoa throw lightning bolts? May want to Ability Focus in that.

Only if they join hands with other kuo-toas and if said kuo-toas are whips.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-16, 08:03 AM
I will have you know that Bards are not useless, and that Frog Bards are an important part of american culture.

Since both hippiedwarf and CrazedGoblin are English I doubt that them hating America will inconvinience them in any way.

Wraithy
2007-09-16, 09:35 AM
sorry, but I had to post this (http://http://youtube.com/watch?v=NcLHzgJkqUI)

back on topic though, ask the DM if you can switch toughness for improved toughness, it is mutch better, and as you are taking monster levels you need all of the hit points you can get (the nat armour should soften the blow though). weapon focus is worthless, don't get it. there are plenty of good feats out there though, just flip through splatbooks and you'll find something.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-16, 09:46 AM
sorry, but I had to post this (http://http://youtube.com/watch?v=NcLHzgJkqUI)

back on topic though, ask the DM if you can switch toughness for improved toughness, it is mutch better, and as you are taking monster levels you need all of the hit points you can get (the nat armour should soften the blow though). weapon focus is worthless, don't get it. there are plenty of good feats out there though, just flip through splatbooks and you'll find something.

Feat retraining from PHB2 :smallwink:

Wraithy
2007-09-16, 01:05 PM
now that I think about it, improved toughness relies on your HD, at lvl 3 you'd be worse off taking it instead of regular toughness. sorry 'bout that.

Jack Mann
2007-09-16, 03:44 PM
No, it would be the same. Three hit points, either way.

bosssmiley
2007-09-16, 05:21 PM

<image trimmed because our eyes are not fit to gaze on his greatness!>

John Wayne, Superman, Kermit the Frog: any culture that has those three as its' icons is ok by me (and I'm English too btw :smallwink: )

OP - you might want to take a looks at K's "Dungeonomicon" for an interesting Kou-Tou Kua-Toa (never can spell those guys... :smallconfused: ) PrC. It has a class level ability called Depressing Monologue (Ex). I think that alone makes it win. :smallbiggrin:

goat
2007-09-16, 06:40 PM
As a Kua-Toa, one of your major strengths is going to be your mobility. You get to avoid webs, break free of most other confinement, and you have a swim speed. While you're a bard, you're going to be wanting to avoid most things, and move freely. Something like Daredevil Athlete from CSc could add to that.

Mr. Moogle
2007-09-16, 07:46 PM

Well whats so good about America anyways? Oh and i though Kermit was a communist.

Wraithy
2007-09-17, 01:31 AM
No, it would be the same. Three hit points, either way.

at first glance true, however on closer inspection the kua toa racial levels (from what this post tells) he has to take 5 lvls in it. the MM 3.5 says that kua-toa have 2 racial HD, and a +3 LA, so to cancel it we have the afore mentioned 5 lvls of kua-toa. most racial levels I've seen don't give you all of the HD in the first few levels, so the likelihood is that crazedgoblin only has 1 or 2 HD at lvl3, at this level at least, toughness is less rubbish.