PDA

View Full Version : Cantrips Only Class

UserNameHere
2018-09-12, 06:13 PM
Ok so you guys get the weird in between alterations version of this since I accidentally erased V1.0
Not everything is different from the original, not everything is the same. I will try to put things right in a bit.

IT'S SORT OF CLOSE TO HOW IT WAS ORIGINALLY. NOT SURE HOW MANY ALTERATIONS FLEW UNDER THE RADAR.
Ok so nooooooow it's 90% similar to how it was.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Empowerment Dice
Features
Cantrips Known
"Spell Level"

+2
--
Spellcasting

+2
1d4
Empowered Cantrips

+2
1d4
Specialization Selection

+2
1d4
Ability Score Improvements

+3
2d4
Health Drain, Unsaveable

+3
2d4
Specialization Feature

+3
2d4
Lingering Spell

+3
2d4

+4
3d4
Specialization Feature

+4
3d4
Empower

+4
3d4
--

+4
3d4

+5
4d4
Specialization Feature

+5
4d4
Unbound

+5
4d4
Specialization Feature

+5
4d4

+6
5d4
Empowered Lingering Spell

+6
5d4
Specialization Feature

+6
5d4

+6
5d4
Canrip Mastery

Basic Features
Hit Dice
• Hit Dice: 1d8 per Cantripcaster level
• Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+ Constitution modifier
• Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution modifier
Proficiencies
• Armor: light armor
• Weapons: simple weapons
• Tools: none
• saving throws: Constitution, Intelligence
• Skills: two from Arcana, Insight, History, Persuasion, Deception, Investigation
Equipment
• (a) light crossbow & 20 bolts, (b) any simple weapon
• (a) dagger, (b) mace
• (a) dungeoneer’s pack, (b) explorer’s pack
• Leather armor
• Or 4d4 x 10 gpSpellcasting
Cantrips Known
At 1st level, you know six cantrips of your choice from any spell list except Warlock. You learn another cantrip each level.
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the cantrips you know and replace it with another from any spell list.
Spellcasting Ability
Constitution is your spellcasting ability for your Cantripcaster spells.
Spell Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier
Spell Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier
Spell Level
For the purposes of spells such as Counterspell or Dispel Magic your cantrip’s level is your Cantripcaster level divided by 4 rounded down + 1
Spell Casting Focus
You can ignore the material components for any cantrip.
Empowered Cantrips
Starting at level 2, when you deal damage with a cantrip you add your Constitution modifier to damage unless you already add a different modifier. In addition, you can cause it to deal an additional 1d4 damage of the same type. This amount increases as your Cantripcaster level increases. This damage can only be dealt once per turn.
Specialization
At level 3 you specialize in a range for your cantrips:
• Close Range
• Far Range
Health Drain and Unsaveable
At level 5, you learn the cantrip Health Drain. This cantrip does not count against your cantrips known. Furthermore, when an enemy succeeds a saving throw against your cantrips, they take half damage instead of no damage.

Health Drain
Casting Time 1 action
Range 30 feet/Touch
Components S
Duration Instantaneous
Make a ranged spell attack against a creature within range. On a hit, you deal 1d4 necrotic damage plus your constitution modifier. You regain health equal to the damage dealt (not including empowerment die damage). As a bonus action you can instead touch a creature and heal them for half the damage dealt instead.
The damage dealt by this cantrip increases by 1d4 at level 5 and again at level 11 and level 17

Lingering Spell
At level 7, your cantrips no longer require concentration. In addition, when you hit a creature with a damaging cantrip you can force them to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save you can concentrate on the cantrip for a minute. While concentrating in this manner you can recast the cantrip against the enemy without any components and as a bonus action. You can use this ability twice per short rest. This ability can be dispelled if Dispel Magic is cast on the target of your concentration.
Also, any cantrip you cast only ends if you wish it to, if it is dispelled, or if the spell’s normal parameters are broken.
Empower
At level 10, as a bonus action, you can cause the extra damage caused by your Empowerment Die to deal the maximum damage until the beginning of your turn. You can do this three times per short rest.
Unbound
At level 14, cantrips you cast no longer have a limit to how many instances you can have up at any time.
All cantrips’ area of effect double in size. You can double the casting time of the spell (using concentration) to increase the area of effect to 10 times the original amount.
At level 17, when you concentrate on a cantrip using Lingering Spell, instead of casting the cantrip as a bonus action you can give yourself advantage on the attack (or the creature disadvantage on the save) until the start of your next turn the next time you cast the cantrip against the creature under the effect of Lingering Spell.
Cantrip Mastery
At level 20, you can exclude creatures from any effect that causes your cantrips to deal area of effect to exclude targets of your choosing. Your cantrips now critically hit on a 19 or 20. Your spell save DC also increases by 1.Close Range
Bonus Proficiency
At level 3, when you choose this specialization you gain proficiency in medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
Range and Cover
Also at level 3, the maximum range of your cantrips becomes 30 feet but your cantrips ignore half and three fourths cover.
War Magic and Gravitational Blast
At level 6, you gain the ability to make a weapon attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip. In addition, when you damage a creature with a cantrip you can cause them to be pulled 10 feet closer to you.
Close Range Master
At level 9, when you roll damage to an enemy within 5 feet of you with a cantrip, you treat any 1 on a die as a 2. Your ranged spell attack rolls are no longer at disadvantage while within 5 feet of a hostile creature.
Magic Blade
At level 13, you can cast a cantrip with the range touch as part of the Attack action. Roll to hit for each part separately.
Cantrip Detonation
At level 15, when you damage a creature within 10 feet of you with a cantrip, you can cause the cantrip to explode and hit all other creatures within 10 feet of it, excluding yourself. The creatures within this radius must make a Dexterity saving throw or take half of the damage of the same type taken by the original creature. If a target is within 2 separate instances they can only be affected by one blast per detonation.
Improved Extra Attack
At level 18, when you damage a creature within 5 feet of you with a cantrip, you can cast the same cantrip against a creature within 5 feet of it as part of the same action. This disregards range limitations on cantrips such as Shocking Grasp. You may also make an additional attack against the second creature if it is also within range of your weapon as part of the same action.
Far Range
Range and Cover
At level 3, the minimum range of your cantrips becomes 30 feet and the range for all cantrips with a range of 30 feet or more before gaining this feature increases by 30 feet. Your cantrips ignore half and three quarters cover. Melee spell attacks do not become ranged spell attacks
Repelling and Restraining Blast
At level 6, when you damage a creature with a cantrip you can cause it to be pushed back 10 feet. You can also make a creature hit by your cantrips to make a Strength saving throw or be restrained until the end of its next turn. This ability can be used once per short rest.
Far Range Master
At level 9, when you roll damage with a cantrip to an enemy further than 10 feet from you, you treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2. If the creature is 100 feet or further from you treat any 1 as a 3.
Insult to Injury
At level 13, when you damage a creature further than 10 feet from you can use a bonus action to make a second spell attack roll (of the same type). On a hit, roll your empowerment damage dice again. You deal force damage equal to half of what you rolled.
Cantrip Bomb
At level 15, as an action you can cast a cantrip as an area in a 10-foot cube within the spell’s normal range. If the cantrip is a to-hit, you roll once and all creatures that the roll would hit are hit. If the cantrip is a saving throw cantrip, all creatures within the area must make the save, taking half damage on a success. Either way the damage is only rolled once for all targets.
Cantripcaster’s Volley
At level 18, when you target a creature further than 10 feet from you with a cantrip, you can cast the same cantrip on a second creature within 10 feet of it as part of the same action

If both attacks hit (or both saving throws fail) the damage dealt by the cantrip is maximized against both targets. This ability does not affect the

Lalliman
2018-09-13, 09:10 AM
I like this, I'm always miffed that cantrips don't get more attention. I'm in no position to do math now, but the balance doesn't seem totally out of whack. It gets very powerful at high level with Cantrip Detonation and Cantrip Bomb, but I don't play at that level so I dunno. Here's a few things that stand out to me on first reading.

Spellcasting: Having Constitution as your spellcasting ability is pretty much a big no. I understand the idea, but it makes it much harder to balance because there's no precedent for a Con-based class, and it kind of detracts from the character's personality when their highest stat is Con, a stat that doesn't really mean anything in terms of characterisation. I would just put the player's choice of mental stat as the spellcasting ability.

Lingering Spell: The final line technically doesn't mean anything, it just says "your cantrips don't end unless they end through one of the normal ways". I guess what you mean is that they have no maximum duration.

Empower: I personally don't like "x times per rest" mechanics, they're annoying to keep track of. It should be once per rest or at-will if at all possible. It also doesn't help that it's a weak and uninteresting effect that doesn't feel worthy of having a use limit.

Unbound: As far as I know, with concentration removed, there is no limit on active cantrips to begin with. Doubling the area of effect also requires explanation. For Sword Burst, Thunderclap and Word of Radiance, I guess you just double the radius. But what about Acid Splash? For one, it doesn't technically have an area of effect. If you interpret it as having an AOE of two squares, I guess it becomes four, but how are those arranged? Does Create Bonfire count as having an AOE? If yes, the same question applies.

Range and Cover (both subclasses):
- It's totally bizarre that the character loses the ability to cast cantrips beyond 30 feet. Yesterday you were able to throw a firebolt 120 feet, today your skills have improved and you miraculously can't throw it further than 30 feet anymore. You should either remove this restriction or put it at level 1.
- I was about to type the same thing for Far Range because the wording makes it sound like the opposite of what Close Range gets, i.e. you can't cast cantrips within 30 feet. What you probably mean is that any cantrip with a range of less than 30 feet gains a range of 30 feet.
- Ignoring both types of cover for both subclasses is just boring. Cover is a big part of what makes ranged combat interesting. Removing it tanks the game's strategic depth. It's why Sharpshooter is a terribly-designed feat.

Magic Blade: I'm not sure what this does. You just make an attack and cast a cantrip as one action? Is there any point in this existing when War Magic already does? I guess it doesn't cost a bonus action, but if anything that makes the action economy less interesting. Or can you chain War Magic off the free cantrip? If yes, that's both counter-intuitive and probably overpowered.

Improved Extra Attack: Name is misleading, it has nothing to do with the Extra Attack feature. Also, it sounds like it can chain with itself indefinitely, which will turn insane when you cast something like Thunderclap.

Lastly, it stands out that level 11, which is usually the point of a big power increase (Extra Attack 2, Improved Divine Smite, 6th level spells) is empty. It seems like one of the 13th or 15th level subclass features should go there.

zminseo
2018-09-13, 12:53 PM
Just curious, but how would the damage output stack up against a warlock with agonizing blast? (4d12 + 20) It seems that by not letting the character choose cantrips from warlock, you are taking away a lot of the attack potential.

UserNameHere
2018-09-13, 01:21 PM
It kind of detracts from the character's personality when their highest stat is Con, a stat that doesn't really mean anything in terms of characterisation. I would just put the player's choice of mental stat as the spellcasting ability.
Yeah, I originally had that idea, too, but there wasn't a precedent for choosing either. I went with CON cause one of the class's focuses is concentration, but I agree that it isn't really a good choice. I agree with just making it the player's choice.

Lingering Spell: The final line technically doesn't mean anything, it just says "your cantrips don't end unless they end through one of the normal ways". I guess what you mean is that they have no maximum duration.
Yeah this wasn't worded in the best way. I did mean the duration becomes "Until dispelled" essentially. I put in the "breaks the spell' s parameters" to clarify that you can't send spells like "Dancing Lights" outside of its normal range and that "Truestrike" still ends after the first attack. But now that I think about it again, since "Truestrike" says "next attack" it would end after the next attack even if the duration was infinite. Maybe just remove the last part altogether.

Empower: I personally don't like "x times per rest" mechanics, they're annoying to keep track of. It should be once per rest or at-will if at all possible. It also doesn't help that it's a weak and uninteresting effect that doesn't feel worthy of having a use limit.
I originally had this ability as at-will but then I thought about it and that would essentially give a flat damage boost (that doubles on a critical) to any attack you make until the start of your next turn. I think that is a little strong given that, when you get this ability at level 10 you have 3d4 for your empowerment so you can choose to deal 12 more damage per turn (so once on your action and again on your reaction if you get an AoO and have War Caster) as a bonus action. This damage is essentially another attack with a weapon.
If I may ask, what would you replace it with/how would you reword it. Or would you just make it at will (maybe I'm overestimating the extra damage)?

Unbound: As far as I know, with concentration removed, there is no limit on active cantrips to begin with. Doubling the area of effect also requires explanation. For Sword Burst, Thunderclap and Word of Radiance, I guess you just double the radius. But what about Acid Splash? For one, it doesn't technically have an area of effect. If you interpret it as having an AOE of two squares, I guess it becomes four, but how are those arranged? Does Create Bonfire count as having an AOE? If yes, the same question applies.
This ability was mainly designed for out of combat stuff (it should be gained at a lower level with that in mind probably) like "Shape Water" to now freeze/affect a larger area of effect. I didn't intend to increase the radius of attack spells or stuff like that. I probably need to rephrase this and put it on a lower level.
Also certain cantrips have a line that says "if you cast this spell again, previous castings end." The intent of this ability was to allow for larger/more impactful out of combat cantrip effect and more freedom.

Range and Cover (both subclasses):
- It's totally bizarre that the character loses the ability to cast cantrips beyond 30 feet. Yesterday you were able to throw a firebolt 120 feet, today your skills have improved and you miraculously can't throw it further than 30 feet anymore. You should either remove this restriction or put it at level 1
Yeah, I thought about putting it at level 1 since it doesn't make sense (and changing equipment to give a medium armor option if you were proficient and some other things since Close Range would gain medium armor proficiency), but I couldn't think of an appropriate level 3 ability for them then. It would be pretty weird to get a class ability at 1 then a large gap until 6, 9, 13, 15, 18.
Would you think it appropriate to break the level 6 ability up into a level 3 and a level 6 ability?
Like:
Close Range
Extra Proficiencies
At level 1 you gain proficency in medium armor, shields, and martial weapons
Range
At level 1, the maximum range of your cantrips becomes 30 feet.
Gravitational Blast
At level 3 you gain the ability to pull a creature 10 feet closer to you when you damage them with a cantrip.
War Magic
At level 6 you can make a weapon attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip.
(Though this would be mostly pointless if Empower was at will. Best weapon damage is 2d6+STR [assuming +4 STR] and averages 11 damage. So the only times you would use War Magic is if you needed to attack two different enemies in one turn)
Far Range
[Range]
At level 1 your cantrips with range less than 30 feet becomes 30 feet. Additionally cantrips with range of 30 feet or more before gaining this feature gain an additional 30 feet of range. Melee spell attacks do not become ranged spell attacks.
Forceful Blast
At level 3 you gain the ability to push a creature 10 feet away from you when you damage it with a cantrip.
Restraining Blast
At level 6 you can force an enemy you hit to make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save they are restrained until the end of its next turn. You can use this ability once per short rest.

- I was about to type the same thing for Far Range because the wording makes it sound like the opposite of what Close Range gets, i.e. you can't cast cantrips within 30 feet. What you probably mean is that any cantrip with a range of less than 30 feet gains a range of 30 feet.

Yes, I intended for all cantrips to essentially gain approximately 30 feet in range. I totally messed that wording up. Will fix it.

- Ignoring both types of cover for both subclasses is just boring. Cover is a big part of what makes ranged combat interesting. Removing it tanks the game's strategic depth. It's why Sharpshooter is a terribly-designed feat.
Yeah that's fair. I put in a bunch of extra "quality of life" abilities originally while designing this class but removed most of them.

Magic Blade: I'm not sure what this does. You just make an attack and cast a cantrip as one action? Is there any point in this existing when War Magic already does? I guess it doesn't cost a bonus action, but if anything that makes the action economy less interesting. Or can you chain War Magic off the free cantrip? If yes, that's both counter-intuitive and probably overpowered.
I meant that when you make a melee attack as part of the Attack action, you can make an attack with a cantrip of range touch as part of the same action. Yeah, this might be overpowered a bit.
I.E. Swing sword==>shocking grasp as well
The idea being you "overlap" the cantrip with the blade/mace/thing.

Improved Extra Attack: Name is misleading, it has nothing to do with the Extra Attack feature. Also, it sounds like it can chain with itself indefinitely, which will turn insane when you cast something like Thunderclap.
Yeah, again I worded this ambiguously. I named it "Improved Extra Attack" since you were meant to be able to make 1 additional weapon attack as part of the same action and also use "Magic Blade." Thus it's an Extra Attack but "Improved". But you're right, it does make one believe that they get an extra attack but they don't. Maybe rename it something along the lines of Two Birds, One Stone or something.

Lastly, it stands out that level 11, which is usually the point of a big power increase (Extra Attack 2, Improved Divine Smite, 6th level spells) is empty. It seems like one of the 13th or 15th level subclass features should go there.
Yeah, I thought I made some errors with the leveling scheme. I'm not sure which ability(ies) should be moved around and such.

UserNameHere
2018-09-13, 01:29 PM
Just curious, but how would the damage output stack up against a warlock with agonizing blast? (4d12 + 20) It seems that by not letting the character choose cantrips from warlock, you are taking away a lot of the attack potential.

Yeah that was honestly the point sorta. Eldritch blast is kinda one of the Warlock things. It sorta detracts from Warlocks a little, in my opinion. By giving it to this class it also becomes possible to do multiple things:
1) Combo it with "Lingering Spell" to do (at level 17) 8d10 + 40 + 5d4 each turn.
2) Blast creatures off the map. If you choose Far Range you can: "Lingering Spell" combo attack with Repelling Blast and (assuming all hit) push the thing back 80 feet and possibly restrain it (allowing you to potentially push it back another 80 feet)
3) Cantrip Detonation, Lingering Spell, and Eldritch Blast= 8 AoE blasts on your turn. Then another 4 possible on a reaction. So that's 8d10 + 40 + 5d4 and another possible 4d10 + 20 + 5d4 as AoE damage. That's a lot of DEX saves and that would make the game slow down a lot.

Though I do agree without it Repelling/Gravitational Blast become rather lack luster. Maybe increase the movement to 15/20?

But be aware (I may not have made that obvious in my phrasing) but I did intend for Repelling to combo with Cantrip Bomb

UserNameHere
2018-09-13, 04:28 PM
I made some alterations based on some feedback. I bolded changes I made if the changes weren't obvious. I think these changes address most of the feedback I received as well as altered some abilities so they aren't (debatably) useless. Though I'm not sure if the level 11 ability is too strong/not strong enough/poorly designed (I really don't think it's the best ability honestly and am completely open to suggestions) and there isn't a level 10 or 14 ability anymore.

I thought of a new idea for the level 11 ability.

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Empowerment Dice
Features
Cantrips Known
"Spell Level"

+2
--
Spellcasting, Range Specialization

+2
1d4
Empowered Cantrips

+2
1d4
Specialization Feature, Unbound

+2
1d4
Ability Score Improvement

+3
2d4

+3
2d4
Specialization Feature

+3
2d4
Lingering Spell

+3
2d4

+4
3d4
Specialization Feature, Empower

+4
3d4
--

+4
3d4
Sacrifice

+4
3d4

+5
4d4
Specialization Feature

+5
4d4
--

+5
4d4
Specialization Feature

+5
4d4

+6
5d4

+6
5d4
Specialization Feature

+6
5d4

+6
5d4
Cantrip Mastery

Basic Features
Equipment
• (a) light crossbow & 20 bolts, (b) any simple weapon
• (a) dagger, (b) shield (if proficient)
• (a) dungeoneer’s pack, (b) explorer’s pack
• (a) leather armor, (b) chain shirt (if proficient)
• Or 4d4 x 10 gp
Spellcasting
Spellcasting Ability
Your choice of Charisma, Intelligence, or Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your Cantripcaster spells.
Spell Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + chosen ability modifier
Spell Attack Modifier = your proficiency bonus + chosen ability modifier
Spell Casting Focus
You can ignore the material components for any cantrip.
Specialization
At level 1 you specialize in a range for your cantrips:
• Close Range
• Far Range
Unbound
At level 3, cantrips you cast no longer have a limit to how many instances you can have up at any time.
Non-damaging cantrips’ area of effect double in size. You can double the casting time of the spell (using concentration) to increase the area of effect to 10 times the original amount. This ability does not affect other abilities granted by this class.
At level 5, you learn the cantrip Health Drain. This cantrip does not count against your cantrips known. Furthermore, when an enemy succeeds a saving throw against your cantrips, they take half damage instead of no damage.

Health Drain
Casting Time 1 action
Range 30 feet/Touch
Components S
Duration Instantaneous
Make a ranged spell attack against a creature within range. On a hit, you deal 1d4 necrotic damage plus your constitution modifier. You regain health equal to the damage dealt (not including empowerment die damage). As a bonus action you can instead touch a creature and heal them for half the damage dealt instead.
The damage dealt by this cantrip increases by 1d4 at level 5 and again at level 11 and level 17

Lingering Spell
At level 7, your cantrips no longer require concentration. In addition, when you hit a creature with a damaging cantrip you can force them to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save you can concentrate on the cantrip for a minute. While concentrating in this manner you can recast the cantrip against the enemy without any components and as a bonus action. You can use this ability twice per short rest. This ability can be dispelled if Dispel Magic is cast on the target of your concentration.
Also, any cantrip you cast has a duration of "Until Dispelled" and only ends if you wish it or if it is dispelled.
Empower
At level 9, as a bonus action, you can cause the damage dealt by your Empowerment Dice to deal the maximum amount of damage possible.
Sacrifice
At level 11, as a bonus action you can decrease your number of Empowerment Dice by one to cause your cantrips to deal an extra 1 damage die until the start of your next turn. This decrease to your Empowerment Dice lasts until you finish a long rest.
The damage dice awarded by this ability increase to 2 damage dice per Empowerment Die at level 15, 3 at level 17, and 4 at level 19

New Idea
At level 11, as a bonus action you can decrease your number of Empowerment Dice by one to cause the next cantrip you cast to deal the maximum amount of damage possible on the cantrip's damage dice. This reduction to your Empowerment Dice lasts until you finish a long rest.
At level 15 the number of cantrips that deal the max damage increases to 2 per Empowerment Die and at level 19 it increases to 3 per Empowerment Die
This is probably overpowered but it's an idea.
Close Range
Bonus Proficiency
At level 1, when you choose this specialization you gain proficiency in medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
Range
Also at level 1, the maximum range of your cantrips becomes 30 feet.
Gravitational Blast
At level three when you damage a creature with a cantrip you can cause them to be pulled 10 feet closer to you.
War Magic
At level 6, you gain the ability to make a weapon attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip.
Magic Blade
At level 13, you can cast a cantrip with the range touch as part of the Attack action. Roll to hit for each part separately.
Piercing Magic Blade
At level 18, when you damage a creature within 5 feet of you with a cantrip, you can cast the same cantrip against a creature within 5 feet of it as part of the same action. This disregards range limitations on cantrips such as Shocking Grasp. You may also make an additional attack against the second creature if it is also within range of your weapon as part of the same action. This can be done only once per round.Far Range
Range
At level 1, cantrips' with range less than 30 feet gain a new range equal to 30 feet. Additionally spells with range of 30 feet or more before gaining this ability gain an additional 30 feet of range. Melee spell attacks do not become ranged spell attacks
Repelling Blast
At level 3, when you damage a creature with a cantrip you can cause it to be pushed back 10 feet.
Restraining Blast
At level 6, you become able to force a creature damaged by your cantrips to make a Strength saving throw or be restrained until the end of its next turn. This ability can be used once per short rest.
Insult to Injury
At level 13, when you damage a creature further than 10 feet from you can use your reaction to make a second spell attack roll (of the same type). On a hit, roll your empowerment damage dice again. You deal force damage equal to half of what you rolled.