PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dragonfire Adept and Maximize Supernatural Ability

Zekarra
2018-09-12, 10:45 PM
I want to maximize my Dragonfire Adepts Breath Weapon which is a SUPERnatural Ability
My questions are simple but the answers are beyond me.

1. Tome of Magic has Feats for Supernatural Abilities. But nothing for MAXIMIZE. Is there a listing in any known book or Dragon Magazine that mentions it???

2. Can a Magic Item be created using the Item creation feats to Allow for the maximization of The Dragonfire Adepts Breath Weapon? Even if its just 1, 2 or 3 times per day??

And yes my DM is okay with this so long as I can get documentation that the feat exists or a real cost for the magic item.

Thanks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-12, 11:07 PM
Draconomicon has the Maximize Breath feat.

Troacctid
2018-09-13, 12:48 AM
Meta-Su feats only exist in ToM. If you can't find it in there, you won't find it at all. Luckily we have metabreath feats, as mentioned above.

Zekarra
2018-09-13, 08:21 AM
Meta breath requires a breath weapon that has 1d ? Rounds before using again so unless I have another breath that’s a no as my current breath is a standard action usable at will. And I read ToM feats but no Maximize is listed. Would it be possible then to Create a magical item(ie rod or staff) that gives the ability to maximize a supernatural ability a certain number of times per day?

Supernatural Rod of Maximizing 1, 2 or 3/day as an example and how would you calculate the gold cost?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-13, 09:53 AM
Meta breath requires a breath weapon that has 1d ? Rounds before using again so unless I have another breath that’s a no as my current breath is a standard action usable at will.The dragonfire adept has a cooldown time of 1 round. If you don't want that, go dragonborn (heart).

And I read ToM feats but no Maximize is listed.Which is what Troacctid said.

Would it be possible then to Create a magical item(ie rod or staff) that gives the ability to maximize a supernatural ability a certain number of times per day?No.

Not without homebrew.

Supernatural Rod of Maximizing 1, 2 or 3/day as an example and how would you calculate the gold cost?Ask your DM.

Zekarra
2018-09-13, 11:37 PM
Dragonfire Adepts breath is not listed in rounds. Even though I can use it every round. The MetaBreath feat rules won’t apply. This is also a big rules debate on many sites. I’m not going to argue the system but just let it be known that the DM said NO unless I can obtain a breath like Dragonborn.

I have permission to make the item. I just need clarification on how to calculate an appropriate cost. Just a random dump of gold is not an answer. Hence why the question?
Following the create magic items rules/guidelines how would you determine an appropriate cost?

My best guess is comparing similarities:
Meta Rod Maximize is 3/day
Meta SLA feat Maximize is 3/day
While Meta (Su) feats in general are 1/day

Then making a Meta (Su) Rod 1/day should be close to a Meta Rod 3/day in cost. But how do I use the crafting guide to Create it?

Home brew the feat is easy. Copy paste from other meta Su feats and sub in maximize info where needed.

Deophaun
2018-09-13, 11:49 PM
The dragonfire adept has a cooldown time of 1 round.
No, it doesn't. Nothing prevents a DFA from using his breath weapon in the same round if he suddenly finds himself with an extra standard action (such as from a belt of battle).

Zekarra
2018-09-14, 12:02 AM
The power surge feat from dragon magazine adds a round to it. But I am not using that feat.

Zekarra
2018-09-15, 08:49 AM
Different question but on the same lines as trying to maximize damage output, is there a way to INCREASE the damage die from a d6 to d8 or higher for the breath weapon?? Feats, Spells, Items only please.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 08:54 AM
The power surge feat from dragon magazineThere's that...

Troacctid
2018-09-15, 11:04 AM
No, it doesn't. Nothing prevents a DFA from using his breath weapon in the same round if he suddenly finds himself with an extra standard action (such as from a belt of battle).
Breath effects have a cooldown, though, yeah?

Zekarra
2018-09-15, 11:12 AM

The Breath of DFA is a standard action at will. So if you get multiple standard actions (ie Haste or some such) then you can breathe twice or more in 1 round. Hence why the Power Surge feat is a must for DFA's in order to take the MetaBreath feats in Draconomicon.

Since my DM won't allow the Dragon Magazine 313 Power Surge Feat as of yet, I can not take the MetaBreath feats without first using my Dragonborn Trait of Heart and since I did not take that trait I am looking for a different option via Magic Item Creation.

Also looking to see if the Damage Die of d6 can be increased to a d8 or higher by other means.

Troacctid
2018-09-15, 11:42 AM
The basic fire breath weapon can be used at will, but the enhanced versions can't. Fivefold Breath of Tiamat also imposes a universal cooldown.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 11:43 AM
Empowering it should work, yeah?

Deophaun
2018-09-15, 12:54 PM
Breath effects are not a breath weapon, being listed as a distinct ability separate from breath weapons in the DFA's class feature list.

And 5fboT is the only breath effect that applies a cooldown to a DFA's breath weapon. So unless you're willing to wait until you're 15th level before taking metabreath feats, that's not going to cut it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-09-15, 01:00 PM
Get a fly speed and Flyby Attack to take Flyby Breath from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book. That allows you to use your breath attack as a free action while flying, provided you don't do anything else but fly in that round. Since a DFA can use their breath attack as often as they have actions to use on it, you could potentially use your breath attack an unlimited number of times per round when using that feat.