PDA

View Full Version : Potion 1/day

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 11:22 AM
What would you price a magic vial that fills itself every day at dawn with a potion?
In this instance, 2nd level spell, CL 3rd.
Would it just follow normal Wondrous item rules? That puts it at 2160 gp, vs a singular potion of that level at 300 gp.
Is there any middle ground?

thethird
2018-09-13, 11:48 AM
In PF a Bountiful Bottle (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-magic-items/other-magic-items/) does more or less what you want for 4k gp (plus the cost of the potion).

torrasque666
2018-09-13, 11:51 AM
I mean part of the reason for a potion's cheapness is its temporary nature. Making that a permanent item would naturally vastly increase its price.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 11:59 AM
And it should!
My goal is to make a sort of medicine bag, that refills each day/week, haven't decided, that has herbs in that each can recover a certain condition. This one cures poison, this one disease, this one fatigue, etc.
And I'm trying to find a relatively cheap way to do that, without it being a 20k+ item.

Vaern
2018-09-13, 12:34 PM
A potion that replenishes each day is similar in concept to an eternal wand which requires both craft wondrous item and craft wand to create.
Along the same lines, I'd price a potion such as you described as a 1/day use-activated item, which results in the same price that you came up with, but requiring both craft wondrous item and brew potion to create.

Deophaun
2018-09-13, 12:46 PM
And it should!
My goal is to make a sort of medicine bag, that refills each day/week, haven't decided, that has herbs in that each can recover a certain condition. This one cures poison, this one disease, this one fatigue, etc.
And I'm trying to find a relatively cheap way to do that, without it being a 20k+ item.
First, what you describe is not a single item. It's a bag that's holding multiple 1/day magic items. Of course the price is going to balloon.

Otherwise, just settle for a wand of resurgence and a wand of ray of resurgence.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 12:47 PM
A potion that replenishes each day is similar in concept to an eternal wand which requires both craft wondrous item and craft wand to create.
Along the same lines, I'd price a potion such as you described as a 1/day use-activated item, which results in the same price that you came up with, but requiring both craft wondrous item and brew potion to create.

Blast.
I'd hoped there was a cheaper method.
What if the herbs it conjures actually do the thing, rather than magically doing it.
That is, what if they're Alchemical, instead of magical, and the bag simply replenishes 1/day and/or week?
Then can it just run off some spell that creates plants.
Which, actually, other than Minor Creation, seems to be lacking.

thethird
2018-09-13, 01:07 PM
Blast.
What if the herbs it conjures actually do the thing, rather than magically doing it.
That is, what if they're Alchemical, instead of magical, and the bag simply replenishes 1/day and/or week?

Which nonmagical plants do what you want?

Telonius
2018-09-13, 01:09 PM
Blast.

An effect like that would probably be slightly more useful than something that creates a potion 1/day. It's creating something that's like a potion, but can't be dispelled and functions in an AMF. If I were assigning a GP value to it, I'd price it slightly higher than the regular item.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 01:18 PM
Which nonmagical plants do what you want?
There some in the DragMags that are useful, such as Cotsbalm.
A fair amount of inspirration came from this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479663-Magical-Plants-and-Where-to-Find-them

An effect like that would probably be slightly more useful than something that creates a potion 1/day. It's creating something that's like a potion, but can't be dispelled and functions in an AMF. If I were assigning a GP value to it, I'd price it slightly higher than the regular item.

That seems fair.
Is there a suggested spell?
Minor Creation is the immediate answer, but I'd prefer something that makes the plant permenantly, and I don't actually think there is one.

So end goal, I'd like to introduce some plants that have alchemical traits, that can neutralize poisons or disease or other status conditions, based on the plant used.
I'd like to grant one of my players a magic bag that every so often, refills itself to a number of these plants, I'm thinking 3 each every week.
And I have no idea how to price such a thing.

Zaq
2018-09-13, 02:29 PM
Start with the price for a minor schema, which I think you’ll find in Magic of Eberron. (I think.) Minor schemas are basically 1/day scrolls, which of course are the Core counterpart to potions in the “one-and-done consumable magic item” department.

Potions have a big cost markup from scrolls (a straight doubling, I think), which allegedly is a convenience fee reflecting the fact that only casters/UMD users can use scrolls while any schlub can drink a potion. If you agree that this is fair and appropriate, then just apply the same markup to this item (i.e., double the cost of a minor schema) and call it a day. If you feel like potions are overpriced considering how much more limited they are than scrolls are (potions have a cap at 3rd level effects and also can’t include personal effects, to say nothing of effects that don’t just target the user), then apply a different cost factor that you think is more fair.

But overall, the point is that minor schemas are almost exactly what you’re describing, so a simple analogous adaptation of them should be fair, barring shenanigans.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 06:30 PM
Ok so hear me out.
So Command Word items.
Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison, Nentyar Hunter spell list, 2nd level spell, CL 3.
Remove Blindness/Deafness, Healer spell list, 2nd level spell, CL 3.
Remove Nausea, Apostle of Peace spell list, 3rd level spell, CL 3.
Remove Fatigue, Apostle of Peace spell list, 4th level spell, CL 4.
Full price for most expensive, x.75 for next, and x.5 for rest as per DMG pg 282.
Equation (and it's a mess) is as follows:
((5760÷5)+((3240÷(5÷2))×.5)+(((2160×3)÷(5÷3))+(180 0÷(5÷3))×.5))
This comes to 6,228 gp.
Cut 10% for requiring 5 ranks in Heal to use (also DMG pg 282) for a final price of 5,602 gp.
It can cure fatigue 1/day, nausea 2/day, disease, poison, blindness/deafness, and delay fear 3/day each.

How's that?

Inb4 'no sane DM...'

Thurbane
2018-09-13, 06:36 PM
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.4NMFF9Q2-DGtT_0NSoCr6wHaH6

I'd say just follow the guidelines for custom item creation for a 1/day use item; maybe double the price if you can select any potion in the spell level range, due to versatility.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 06:43 PM
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.4NMFF9Q2-DGtT_0NSoCr6wHaH6

I'd say just follow the guidelines for custom item creation for a 1/day use item; maybe double the price if you can select any potion in the spell level range, due to versatility.

Yeah?
But on a scale of 1 to borked, how crazy is that for pricing?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-13, 06:58 PM
Ok so hear me out.
So Command Word items.
Remove Disease and Neutralize Poison, Nentyar Hunter spell list, 2nd level spell, CL 3.
Full price for most expensive, x.75 for next, and x.5 for rest as per DMG pg 282.
This comes to 6,228 gp.
Cut 10% for requiring 5 ranks in Heal to use (also DMG pg 282) for a final price of 5,602 gp.
It can cure fatigue 1/day, nausea 2/day, disease, poison, blindness/deafness, and delay fear 3/day each.

How's that?

Inb4 'no sane DM...'

That could be made by a single character. Why would a sane DM have a problem with it? The guy would be pretty sub-standard but it's very easily doable.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-13, 07:10 PM
That could be made by a single character. Why would a sane DM have a problem with it? The guy would be pretty sub-standard but it's very easily doable.

Cool.
I didn't know if that seemed like too low of a price, happy to hear it seems on point.

Goaty14
2018-09-13, 07:12 PM
First, what you describe is not a single item. It's a bag that's holding multiple 1/day magic items. Of course the price is going to balloon.

Otherwise, just settle for a wand of resurgence and a wand of ray of resurgence.

If we're switching to wands, then use Panacea instead.

Deophaun
2018-09-13, 07:29 PM
If we're switching to wands, then use Panacea instead.
That's a level 4 spell, which gets you to the 20k mark that the OP considers too expensive.

The two wands of resurgence and ray of resurgence are 1500 in total.

Darrin
2018-09-14, 09:30 AM

Lesser restoration (Pal 1 or Champion of Gwynasdfjkl; 1) and ray of resurgence (Cleric 1, Lost Empires of Faerun) can both remove fatigue. If you want to keep the 4th level spell, then replace remove fatigue with panacea, which cures fatigue along with nearly every other possible condition. However, while those might be cheaper (CL 1 vs CL 2), I might go with second wind (Pal 1) for the +4 bonus on Con checks for 2 hours.

This comes to 6,228 gp.

Looks very reasonable to me, although I think I missed where you're getting delay fear from? (Remove fear, would be my guess.)

Vaern
2018-09-14, 10:57 PM
I'd make the consumables replenish 1/week rather than daily to maybe justify cutting the cost in half.
I don't know about your group, but I rarely if ever see poisons and diseases turn up in any of the groups I've played with except for two occasions involving drow poison. If you just want the item for the sake of convenience in the event that such things turn up, 1/week should be sufficient. If you're in a situation where you expect that you should need to cure disease and poison on a daily basis, then your DM really has it in for you and you're probably screwed anyway.

Maat Mons
2018-09-15, 04:27 PM
That puts it at 2160 gp, vs a singular potion of that level at 300 gp.

Actually, a potion is use-activated, and you're using the price for a command-word item. Also, you're forgetting to double the cost for not taking up a body slot. So, actually, you're looking at 4,800 gp.

Let's try a thought experiment. Suppose we had a spell called Create X Potion. It makes one potion, of a predetermined type. And it has a material component. Specifically, one potion. More specifically, a potion of exactly the same type that it creates. So you spend an action to destroy one thing, and also create something identical to that thing. Essentially the spell does nothing.

With me so far?

Now let's determine the cost of a 1/day item of that spell. Well, part of that cost is going to be the material component cost, times 50, divided by 5. Since out component costs 300 gp, that comes out to 3,000 gp for that part of it. Then, of course, there's the cost for the spell itself. But since it's a spell that literally does nothing, I'd argue that the cost should be 0.

Thus, the item should cost 3,000 gp in total.

A potion is a single-use item. Logically, a 50-use version would cost 50 times as much. An unlimited-use item costs 2 times what an item with 50 charges does. And an item usable once per day costs 1/5 what an unlimited-use item costs. Following that through, a 1/day potion ought to cost 20 times what a regular potion costs. So 6,000 gp, for the 2nd-level example.

An at-will item of Resurgence gives infinitely-repeated saves against any ongoing effect. So, naturally, the target will make the save eventually, and will be free of the effect. The item will only be used outside of combat, so it may as well take up a body slot. You'll just switch back to your regular item before the next combat, so it's no hindrance.

Resurgence is a 1st-level spell, so this item would only cost 1,800 gp, and it would take care of basically everything given a little time.

Assuming your magic healer's kit idea also takes some time to use, it will be effectively the same. In either case, you'll use the item outside of combat to remove effects that were inflicted during combat. On the principal that two things that provide about the same benefit should have about the same cost, your item should be priced in the ballpark of 1,800 gp.

So let's say 2,000 gp, to account for the fact that this kit would take a predictable amount of time to cure a condition, instead of being kind of random and all-over-the-place, the way Resurgence is.

Or, since you said your item will require some number of heal ranks, or require successful heal checks, or whatever, maybe even less than 1,800 gp.

In conclusion, the rules/guidelines for pricing magic items suck, and I could plausibly argue for anything from 1,500 gp total for an at-will version to 6,000 gp for each effect it's capable of handling with only uses/day, while citing rules and precedent. Just price it for however much you think it's worth.

Ramza00
2018-09-15, 05:41 PM
This may not be what you are looking for but have you looked into Gremma's Cauldron, page 217, Expedition to Undermountain, 3.5E which costs 5,000 gp if you buy it outright?

ericgrau
2018-09-15, 07:16 PM
What would you price a magic vial that fills itself every day at dawn with a potion?
In this instance, 2nd level spell, CL 3rd.
Would it just follow normal Wondrous item rules? That puts it at 2160 gp, vs a singular potion of that level at 300 gp.
Is there any middle ground?

2400 gp actually because a potion is silent. That makes it a little more stealthy I guess. This is pending DM approval but I think it's more than fair with every kind of potion. If I were the DM I'd require both craft wondrous item and brew potion, but with some reflavoring I'd allow some spells to use only craft wondrous item. And 2,160 gp if the reflavoring involves voice activation. Using an effect 8 times before it's time to sell it and get something else is very difficult in D&D btw. Usually the regular potion is the better deal. People are afraid to do this because they view it as throwing money away. Which would be true IRL, but not so much in the fast paced life of an adventurer who fights seriously for maybe a minute each level. More often the more expensive long term item is the real waste of money. If it's an effect you want to spam then I can see the 1/day item being the better deal.

Since this is all custom items anyway explicitly requiring DM approval, you can absolutely make up something in between. You could make it a per week effect. Or X max charges and 1 charge is recharged every day/week. This is much more fuzzy and the value of each way varies for each different spell. So there is not and should not be any concrete guideline on the price. All you can say for sure is that it is between the cost of a potion and the cost of a 1/day item. Then the DM has to make a judgement call about how valuable it is compared to each. For example I would NOT make a 1/week item 1/7th the cost of a 1/day item because you usually don't need it every day. Rather the cost varies by spell and is somewhere in between 1/7th and 100% of a 1/day item's cost. In fact a 2/week item may often be better and more expensive than a 1/day item because you might not need it for a while and then suddenly use it twice in the same day. But that depends which spell we're talking about.

Also check out the quick potion spell in spell compendium, which might allow you to do what you want for "free". Except for other non-gold requirements & costs.

Feantar
2018-09-15, 11:19 PM
Ok so hear me out.
So Command Word items.
This comes to 6,228 gp.

How's that?

Inb4 'no sane DM...'

It's slotless so shouldn't you double the price? :P

But seriously, what you're suggesting is a healer in a bag. Replacing a whole class should be expensive.

Vaern
2018-09-16, 10:21 AM
Actually, a potion is use-activated, and you're using the price for a command-word item. Also, you're forgetting to double the cost for not taking up a body slot. So, actually, you're looking at 4,800 gp.

Not really. A slotless item is one that you can benefit from without the item having to be worn or held. An ioun stone floats around your head granting a continuous effect, for example. A consumable like a potion needs to be held to be used, effectively taking your main hand or off hand slot for the round. There are a few examples in just the core magic item list of tools and consumables whose prices match the guidelines, but aren't doubled for being slotless.

And as far as command word activation VS use activated goes, I just skimmed the descriptions of the two and potions are specifically mentioned as an example of a user activated item, as Maat mentioned. Though, since the consumables are being made as merely components of a larger item, you might just reflavor the medical kit as a whole as allowing a command word to be spoken once per day to replenish the medicines within it.

Alternatively, make the kit like one of the items in the magic item compendium that has 3 charges that replenish daily, with different effects depending on how many charges you expend. I don't know how the items are priced off the top of my head, but the effect might look something like this:
1 charge: Cure fatigued or sickened condition
2 charges: Cure nauseated or exhausted condition
3 charges: Cure natural disease or poison; or, grant a +4 bonus to your next saving throw against a magical disease or poison

PraxisVetli
2018-09-16, 12:12 PM
This may not be what you are looking for but have you looked into Gremma's Cauldron, page 217, Expedition to Undermountain, 3.5E which costs 5,000 gp if you buy it outright?
I did recently learn of that, and it is something I considered. I believe I'm setting it aside for a later present for the wizard in the group. He's a bit of an Alchemy lover, so he'll be quite tickled with it.

But seriously, what you're suggesting is a healer in a bag. Replacing a whole class should be expensive.
Whether it replaces a whole class or not seems like more of a problem with the class than the item.
An item of 10/Day Heroics buys you Fighter for 21.6k.

Not really. A slotless item is one that you can benefit from without the item having to be worn or held. An ioun stone floats around your head granting a continuous effect, for example. A consumable like a potion needs to be held to be used, effectively taking your main hand or off hand slot for the round. There are a few examples in just the core magic item list of tools and consumables whose prices match the guidelines, but aren't doubled for being slotless.

Alternatively, make the kit like one of the items in the magic item compendium that has 3 charges that replenish daily, with different effects depending on how many charges you expend. I don't know how the items are priced off the top of my head, but the effect might look something like this:
1 charge: Cure fatigued or sickened condition
2 charges: Cure nauseated or exhausted condition
3 charges: Cure natural disease or poison; or, grant a +4 bonus to your next saving throw against a magical disease or poison

I agree with it not being slotless. It is a physical item; the player does have to hold it and interact with it to use it, as with most any Wondrous Item.
As for running it off charges, that would have been a good idea, though yeah, it still would've left me baffled on price rulings.

I did end up writing the item using my obnoxious equation mentioned earlier in the thread. The player can draw the herbs from the bag various times/day, and it still allows for new herbs to be added to it's effects, like the Panacea that's been mentioned, once the party's Artificer gets that far.

ericgrau
2018-09-16, 01:10 PM
Ok so hear me out.
So Command Word items.
This comes to 6,228 gp.

How's that?

Inb4 'no sane DM...'
No sane DM... :smallyuk:

Cost reducers from easy requirements are a big no-no which any sane DM should refuse. Using obscure classes instead of cleric is likewise fishy. These are guidelines not rules to help the DM find a fair price; not loopholes to exploit to try to find a lower price. The goal is to get the fair price. Anything that intentionally makes the price lower than what's fair is an automatic no.

Panacea already covers all the effects you listed and a few more. 1800*7*4/5 = 10,080 gp. 1/day is usually plenty. That's a lot more expensive than the BS you tried to pull. But since you usually only need this item once in a day it's fine and you get a fair discount for this limitation. 2/week is another option. It's almost as good as 2/day for an item like this because you usually don't use it for a few days anyway. So it should likewise be priced close to 2/day. Maybe priced like 1.5/day or 16,200 gp. Panacea fixes many more conditions than what you listed, except it is missing neutralize poison.

If only a divine caster can use the item then it's fair to cut the price in half though. From 25/50, similar to scrolls. Perhaps even as low as 30% if you first increase the price by giving it more uses per day/week. This discount is from 15/50, similar to wands or staffs.

If you want to make only certain herbs do certain things, then that's more tricky. How does the PC find the herbs? How many different effects are realistically available? The cost reduction depends how hard you make it to get herbs.

For example Panacea 3/week: 1800*7*4/5*~2.5*30%=~7,500 gp. Only a divine caster may use this bag. Again making it hard to find herbs could reduce price a little or a lot. 2.5/day was a rough estimate of the value of 3/week. If the PC isnt' a divine caster then this is about 25,000 gp, but herb hunting could drop that.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-16, 01:32 PM
No sane DM... :smallyuk:

Cost reducers from easy requirements are a big no-no which any sane DM should refuse. Using obscure classes instead of cleric is likewise fishy. These are guidelines not rules to help the DM find a fair price; not loopholes to exploit to try to find a lower price. The goal is to get the fair price. Anything that intentionally makes the price lower than what's fair is an automatic no.

Panacea already covers all the effects you listed and a few more. 1800*7*4/5 = 10,080 gp. 1/day is usually plenty. That's a lot more expensive than the BS you tried to pull. But since you usually only need this item once in a day it's fine and you get a fair discount for this limitation. 2/week is another option. It's almost as good as 2/day for an item like this because you usually don't use it for a few days anyway. So it should likewise be priced close to 2/day. Maybe priced like 1.5/day or 16,200 gp. Panacea fixes many more conditions than what you listed, except it is missing neutralize poison.

If only a divine caster can use the item then it's fair to cut the price in half though. From 25/50, similar to scrolls. Perhaps even as low as 30% if you first increase the price by giving it more uses per day/week. This discount is from 15/50, similar to wands or staffs.

If you want to make only certain herbs do certain things, then that's more tricky. How does the PC find the herbs? How many different effects are realistically available? The cost reduction depends how hard you make it to get herbs.

For example Panacea 3/week: 1800*7*4/5*~2.5*30%=~7,500 gp. Only a divine caster may use this bag. Again making it hard to find herbs could reduce price a little or a lot. 2.5/day was a rough estimate of the value of 3/week. If the PC isnt' a divine caster then this is about 25,000 gp, but herb hunting could drop that.

It might seem like something for no sane DM, but the party is a 7 man team with high-op gestalt builds.
For the same reason, 1/day isn't very effective.
Shenanigry like price reducers are something I expect to see frequently in this campaign, given the nature of the players, especially the STP Erudite//Artificer. Also, I specifically fluffed them as herbs not so much for a mechanical benefit as because the player is running DSP's Medic class, so I wanted the item to seem less magick-y and more actual profession-y, if that makes any sense.
The Herbs will also exist naturalky growing out in the world, should the player(s) seek them out.

ericgrau
2018-09-16, 01:40 PM
@^ It seems silly to try to break the system when you're the DM though. Since it's kind of a class feature for him to fix things I'd give him the 30% price on panacea (70% off) and call it a day. Other classes can't use the bag/wild herbs, not even clerics. Go with the 3/day or 3/week version.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-16, 01:49 PM
@^ It seems silly to try to break the system when you're the DM though. Since it's kind of a class feature for him to fix things I'd give him the 30% price on panacea (70% off) and call it a day. Other classes can't use the bag/wild herbs, not even clerics. Go with the 3/day or 3/week version.

I'm not breaking the system. This is the level my players and I operate at regularly. 3/day with Panacea isn't any crazier than the abilities I did give it, actually covers a lot more, given the extra conditions Panace covers. With a team that large, though, 3/week is almost worthless. If ˝ the team gets hit with fear effect or similar in an encounter, the item's useless for week.

ericgrau
2018-09-16, 02:08 PM
I'm not breaking the system. This is the level my players and I operate at regularly. 3/day with Panacea isn't any crazier than the abilities I did give it, actually covers a lot more, given the extra conditions Panace covers. With a team that large, though, 3/week is almost worthless. If ˝ the team gets hit with fear effect or similar in an encounter, the item's useless for week.

I meant if you're going to give them a discount then just give them a discount and don't try to do it via a dozen tricks that violate the intent of the item creation guidelines. Simpler that way.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-16, 04:01 PM
I didn't use a dozen tricks. The only 'trick' I used, was applying a 10% discount for requiring the Heal skill to use, which sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing for a medicine bag. It means She's the only one in the party who can use the item, which makes it more special to her. It is specifically hers.
And it saved her a shattering 600 gp. Is that really so bad? 600 gp for an item to feel like it was custom designed for you personally?

ericgrau
2018-09-16, 05:06 PM
The non-cleric spell lists.

Maat Mons
2018-09-16, 10:26 PM
Ok so hear me out.
So Command Word items.
This comes to 6,228 gp.

How's that?

Inb4 'no sane DM...'

Okay, so let me try to follow this:

command word Remove Fatigue (spell level 4, caster level 4) 1/day
1,800*4*4/5 = 5,760

command word Remove Nausea (spell level 3, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*3*3/5 = 3,240

command word Remove Blindness/Deafness (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

command word Remove Disease (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

command word Neutralize Poison (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

sum up, with similar ability discount
1*5,760+0.75*3,240+0.5*2,160+0.5*2,160+0.5*2,160 = 11,430

knock off 10% for requirement
11,430*0.9 = 10,287

Yeah, I'm not sure how you came up with a lower price for even more uses per day.

Wait, did you calculate the 1/day cost for each one, then divide by 5 again?

Maat Mons
2018-09-17, 02:36 AM
Okay, here's my suggestion:

can hold 7 charges
replenishes 1 charge each day at dawn

1 charge: cure light wounds, neutralize poison, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease, remove fear, or remove paralysis
2 charges: lesser restoration, panacea, or remove curse
3 charges: restoration

7,000 gp

caster level 7
panacea, remove curse, restoration

The reason I chose that specific price is "Screw the guidelines, I think palliative effects should be cheap." I like to think this was also the sentiment behind the design of the Healer's Belt.

PraxisVetli
2018-09-17, 07:45 AM
Okay, so let me try to follow this:

command word Remove Fatigue (spell level 4, caster level 4) 1/day
1,800*4*4/5 = 5,760

command word Remove Nausea (spell level 3, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*3*3/5 = 3,240

command word Remove Blindness/Deafness (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

command word Remove Disease (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

command word Neutralize Poison (spell level 2, caster level 3) 1/day
1,800*2*3/5 = 2,160

sum up, with similar ability discount

knock off 10% for requirement
11,430*0.9 = 10,287

Yeah, I'm not sure how you came up with a lower price for even more uses per day.

Wait, did you calculate the 1/day cost for each one, then divide by 5 again?

Look I get people play at different levels of optimization. But using spells where they're cheapest is a common thing for our table, even if it isn't for most.
I have the item written, I gave it to the player, and she was ecstatic, and honestly, that should be all that matters.

That said, running it charge based, consuming more charges for a higher effect, that was a good idea. If only I'd made the thread earlier, I might've done that.

Though I don't think we ever figured out how to price that sort of thing.

Maat Mons
2018-09-17, 04:41 PM

I already factored that in.

I'm not saying you need to alter the item that's already in your game. I've already said that I think you should make the item work like you think it should work, then make it cost what you think it should cost.

I am saying you screwed up the math. More specifically, that you applied the factor for going from at-will to x-uses-per-day, when you should have applied the factor for moving from 1-use-per-day to x-uses-per-day.