PDA

View Full Version : Monastic tradition

stewstew5
2018-09-13, 12:26 PM
So I took a a shot at a monastic tradition. I'd love feedback as well as help giving it more flavour and a formula for the falling rate

At 3rd level, you no longer need a running start to preform a long or high jump. Additionally, you may spend 1 ki point to add your move speed as a bonus to the distance of a jump.

At 6th level you can control the rate of your fall. While falling you may move horizontally, as though simple terrain. Additionally, you can choose how far you fall on your turn, at a minimum rate of

At 11th level if you land in range of a target you may spend 2 ki points to make a single touch attack and add any damage you reduced from the fall to its damage

At 17th level when you land you may spend 2 ki points to distribute any damage you reduced from falling amongst all creatures within a 20ft radius

zminseo
2018-09-13, 12:42 PM
This seems pretty cool... Up to 100 damage at level 20 for only 2 ki points.
One thing I would change is the 11th level ability because the 17th level ability is basically an AOE version of it.
You could also let the monk use DEX for jumps...

Also, this class would not go online until level 11, having no viable damage options.

The fall damage ability would probably go well with the unarmored movement ability, the monk could climb up walls and then jump down, the monk would be perfect as a substitute for the rogue in battles.

But still, in my opinion, this class would be highly situational, for example if the party was fighting in a tunnel it would be useless.

stewstew5
2018-09-13, 01:29 PM
This seems pretty cool... Up to 100 damage at level 20 for only 2 ki points.
One thing I would change is the 11th level ability because the 17th level ability is basically an AOE version of it.
You could also let the monk use DEX for jumps...

Also, this class would not go online until level 11, having no viable damage options.

The fall damage ability would probably go well with the unarmored movement ability, the monk could climb up walls and then jump down, the monk would be perfect as a substitute for the rogue in battles.

But still, in my opinion, this class would be highly situational, for example if the party was fighting in a tunnel it would be useless.

At 6th level you can control the rate of your fall. While falling you may move horizontally, as though simple terrain. you can choose how far you fall on your turn, at a minimum of 3' - your proficiency bonus, increasing by 2' for every turn spent falling. Additionally, you may add 2d6 to a touch attack made while midair, however you can only do this once per turn

At 11th level if you land in range of a target you may spend 2 ki points to make a single touch attack and add any damage you reduced from the fall to its damage, at a maximum of 4d6

How about these fixes? Remembering the far jump abilities and that the 17th level ability distributes damage evenly