PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alk's Spicy Inprogress DkS1 brew. (5e) PEACH

Alkerite
2018-09-13, 02:02 PM
Given the fact that there have been a handful of attempts to try and bring the worlds of Lordran, Lothric and Drangleic to the tops of tables everywhere, I’ve decided to take it upon myself to make a conversion for Fifth Edition D&D, so that it plays more like our most beloved depression and Determination simulator.

First and foremost the (Undead) Template. (Undead) is not a race, but merely an additive to anything unlucky enough to obtain the worst form of immortality. All (Or at least the vast majority) of Lordran’s inhabitants are undead, if they possess a fragment of the Dark Soul.

An additional stat is added to (Undead): Humanity. Humanity resets to 0 upon player death and revival. It can be reclaimed, and has a cap of 99. Humanity can be spent to add more power to bonfires, deepen a bond with Covenants, make yourself appear alive again, and are consumed for the most vile of dark magic.
Humanity can be gained from the breast of your brethren, harvested from the dead, or sold by traders.

Humanity Items:
Humanity: +1 to Humanity stat
Twin Humanity: +2 to Humanity stat
Firekeeper soul: +20 to Humanity stat

Player Races: (Dark Souls)

Humans:
What? Did you seriously expect every race ported over? This is Dark Souls. The title is in reference to the Dark Soul of humanity. Functionally identical to the Variant Human found in the PHB.

Snakemen(Lesser):
Natural Armor: 13 + dex modifier
Bite Attack: 1d20 + your choice of strength or dexterity. 5 foot range.
The Snakemen of Sen's fortress. Somehow, someway, you were unfortunate enough to be afflicted with the Darksign. Now permanent death is forever alien to you.

Languages:
Common Tongue: Ah, the trading language. Works well for barter, less so for having a decent conversation.

Astoran: The language of Astora, and the lingua franca for the vast majority of humanity. Nobles Knights of the faith, and the ancient pages to the Silver Knights oft use this.

Catarinan: The language of Catarina, it has a far stronger accent, and is spoken rather loudly. The Onion knights of Catarina speak this tongue, but few others even know the basic alphabet.

Demonic: This guttural, primitive language born of the Chaos Flame, and the Witch of Izalith’s mistake, is the mother tongue of demons. It has no written form. It speaks of primal urges, needs and survival. Oft times, Pyromancies share this tongue, as it too sprang from the brow of the Witch of Izalith.

Ascended: The language of the divine. Since the disappearance of the gods, it has fallen out of use, and human scholars endlessly debate the proper pronunciation of particular words and sounds, but any scribe worth their salt should be able to deceiver any writings. It is said that proper Ascended is to sound like a battle hymn, sung in harmony with your brethren, and is the truest language of Miracles. Founded the concept of "Braille" for the blind have special place among the priesthood.

Arcane: Yes, the language of Magic. Power infused into every word. While the ordinary might mutter these words over a blackened tome, no ordinary human can call the might of Arcana without purpose. This tongue is spoken with clenched teeth, and peeled back lips, as the original speaker had none, and the writing, if you would call it that, is textured.

Deep Speech: The language of the darkest of miracles, hexes, and pyromancies. This tongue is vulgar and ugly, speaking of hedonistic desires, unbridled ambition, and the gluttony to consume gods.

Leveling up:
Enemies give a Soul Value to their killer. These Souls obtained can be used to level up in a class, improve a stat, or buy items. (PRICES, LEVEL UP COSTS AND STAT ENHANCEMENT TABLES COMING SOON.)

Weaponry:

Given the absolute abundance of bizarre weaponry found in Lordran I’m introducing new weapon tags.

Inhumanly Heavy: When wielded by a humanoid with less than 20 strength, the wielder must expend their entire turn to make an attack with this weapon, with disadvantage upon the attack roll, or pass a difficulty 24 strength check to make an attack in an action. Every successful attack with this weapon has a chance to throw the enemy off their feet, or just throw them, and if the wielder is unable to wield the weapon effectively every attack has a chance to throw the wielder the same distance, disarming them in the process.

Example:
Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword.
Legendary(Unique)
Damage 5d6 Bludgeoning.
Two-Handed, Supernaturally Heavy, Ranged(10 feet), heavy
When wielded by a humanoid that can handle its weight without penalty, the FkUGs acts as a shield, granting +2 AC, and half cover.
“This slab of cursed black iron is steeped in the power of the Dark, the chosen weapon of an accursed Knight, who threw away king and country, for naught but a Mother’s Love.”

Supernatural Weighting: When wielded by a humanoid with less than 20 dexterity, these weapon turn from finely honed weapons into iron rods. Any weapon with this tag can invoke another attack if the previous attack connected, and expended an Action, a Bonus Action, or an Extra Attack.

Example:
Greatsword of Artorias
Legendary(Unique)
Two-handed, Heavy, Range(5 feet), Supernatural Weighting, Finesse
2d6 slashing
Every attack made with this weapon allows the user to move 5 feet to an adjacent empty space. This can be used in conjunction with the Supernatural Weighting affect. Wielder can opt not to use their armor class, and instead use the weight of their weapon, and it’s supernatural speed to turn the enemy’s attack against them, if you make an acrobatics check to surpass their attack roll, you can make an attack roll with disadvantage against the attacker.
“A weapon of legendary power, a symbol of the Wolf Knight, Artorias. Master of the greatsword, to grasp his weapon is to invoke the indomitable will of Knight Artorias.”

Difficult to Grasp: These weapons are just… weird. They require either absurd intelligence to use effectively, or just require a bit of lateral thinking to be used effectively. Any humanoid with less than 20 intelligence making an attack with this weapon suffers a d10 chance of inflicting the attack on themselves.

Example:
Puzzling Straight Sword.
Rare
2d4 Slashing
Versatile(2d6), Difficult to Grasp, Ranged(25 feet);
When swung by a humanoid, this broken hilt of a straight sword’s strange enchantment shines through, and the broken blade springs to life, dancing like a whip.
“A truly strange weapon… upon first glance, the deep blue color is most apparent feature of this enchanted sword, the next is that it has clearly seen better days, as most of it’s blade has been misplaced.”

Divine: These weapons are consecrated, relics of faith, and invoke the names and rites of gods forgotten, deeds eternal, and titles everlasting. An indomitable faith is needed to use these weapons to their greatest extent. Creatures of wisdom below 20 cannot summon the immensely powerful “Divine” affects of the weapons bestowed with this tag, even if they are able to wield the weapon normally.

Example:
Morne’s Great Hammer
Legendary
2d8 bludgeoning (DIVINE: +d8 radiant);
Inhumanly Heavy, Two Handed, Divine, Heavy
Divine effect. You can expend an action or an Extra attack, to perform a short prayer to Morne. Upon completion of the prayer, holy light explodes from the Hammer, creating three damaging spheres(5, 10, 15 feet respectively) with the Hammer as the center. Enemies caught in the first sphere, will be launched away from the wielder, and knocked prone, taking 2d10 radiant damage. Enemies within the second sphere must make a strength check to avoid being knocked prone, and suffer d10 damage. Enemies in the third sphere are Blinded until the completion of their next turn.
“Less of a Hammer, and more a pillar taken from a ruined church, this weapon carries immense divine power, as well as the weight needed to crush those that dared defile the Church of Morne.”

Cursed: Quite simple, no stat requirement. These weapons are cursed by the Abyss, and suffer strange effects. The sole benefit of this curse, is that any and every weapon with this tag can damage Ghosts.

Example:
Greatsword of Artorias
Legendary(Unique)
Two-handed, Heavy, Range(5 feet), Supernatural Weighting, Cursed
2d6 Necrotic
Every attack made with this weapon allows the user to move 5 feet to an adjacent empty space. This can be used in conjunction with the Supernatural Weighting affect. Wielder can opt not to use their armor class, and instead use the weight of their weapon, and it’s supernatural speed to turn the enemy’s attack against them, if you make an acrobatics check to surpass their attack roll, you can make an attack roll with disadvantage against the attacker.
“This weapon, steeped in the despair of brave Knight Artorias has become a brutal weapon of the Abyss’ taint.”

And of course, no true Soulsborne game is in it’s right mind without one of these.

Moonlight Greatsword
Legendary(Unique)
2d6 Arcane
Heavy, Two handed, difficult to grasp.
This weapon, which seems to be a shard of the purest moonlight, can call the power of the light. Every attack made with this weapon can summon forth a beam of mighty moonlight, dealing additional damage to the target of the original attack, and continuing to travel 30 feet after. (Deals 1d12 damage to first target, then 1d8, then 1d4, then fades).
“This greatsword, steeped in magic rather than might alone, is supposedly a fragment of an unnamed madman, and father of modern magic. Truly, this blade is as deadly as it is dazzling.”

Magic and more coming soon.

Lalliman
2018-09-14, 12:48 PM
So spicy!

I like Dark Souls, and I'd like to see it adapted. Here's some feedback to help you along:

- It would be nice if you formatted a little better for readability. Use some more line breaks and bolded headers.

- It doesn't say what the DC for a sanity check is, nor what happens when you hit 0 sanity.

- If I assume that the sanity check is 50-50 like a death saving throw and that hitting 0 sanity makes you go hollow and turn into an NPC, then it frankly takes absurdly long to get there. If you never find humanity and never regain sanity, it takes 20 deaths to go hollow. 20 deaths can happen quickly in Dark Souls, but you have to take into account that fights will take much longer in D&D. You could keep fighting and failing over and over again for entire sessions before the stakes get real. I'd prefer to make going hollow easier so that it's a real threat. (Or if you want to allow endless iterations like in Dark Souls, you might as well remove the hollowing mechanic.) Also, unless you want to tie humanity to other mechanics, I'd just turn them into one stat: You have 10 humanity, you lose 1 when you die, and you can restore them up to the max of 10 with found humanities. If you hit 0 it's game over.

- Elves and orcs of course have no place in Dark Souls, but it would be nice to port some other races for variety. Lizardfolk can be the snakemen from Sen's Fortress, and Goliaths can be whatever tall race the silver knights are. With a bit of homebrewing you could perhaps include skeletons, mushroom people, the crow people from the painted world, etc.

- I'm not a big fan of the ability score restrictions as written. Shouldn't you go for a variable stat requirement like in the game, instead of going all-or-nothing and putting it at 20? As is, you'll want to build towards that 20 quickly so you can wield a special weapon, and once there you'll be unlikely to swap weapons again. Also, shouldn't the divine and arcane weapons actually scale with Wisdom and Intelligence in some way, instead of merely using them as a prerequisite?

- Lastly, why does the Greatsword of Artorias have a Dexterity requirement? In the game, its requirements are 24/18/20/20 and its scaling is C/C/B/B. It cares about Dexterity, but less than the other stats.

Alkerite
2018-09-14, 01:55 PM
So spicy!

I like Dark Souls, and I'd like to see it adapted. Here's some feedback to help you along:

- It would be nice if you formatted a little better for readability. Use some more line breaks and bolded headers.

- It doesn't say what the DC for a sanity check is, nor what happens when you hit 0 sanity.

- If I assume that the sanity check is 50-50 like a death saving throw and that hitting 0 sanity makes you go hollow and turn into an NPC, then it frankly takes absurdly long to get there. If you never find humanity and never regain sanity, it takes 20 deaths to go hollow. 20 deaths can happen quickly in Dark Souls, but you have to take into account that fights will take much longer in D&D. You could keep fighting and failing over and over again for entire sessions before the stakes get real. I'd prefer to make going hollow easier so that it's a real threat. (Or if you want to allow endless iterations like in Dark Souls, you might as well remove the hollowing mechanic.) Also, unless you want to tie humanity to other mechanics, I'd just turn them into one stat: You have 10 humanity, you lose 1 when you die, and you can restore them up to the max of 10 with found humanities. If you hit 0 it's game over.

- Elves and orcs of course have no place in Dark Souls, but it would be nice to port some other races for variety. Lizardfolk can be the snakemen from Sen's Fortress, and Goliaths can be whatever tall race the silver knights are. With a bit of homebrewing you could perhaps include skeletons, mushroom people, the crow people from the painted world, etc.

- I'm not a big fan of the ability score restrictions as written. Shouldn't you go for a variable stat requirement like in the game, instead of going all-or-nothing and putting it at 20? As is, you'll want to build towards that 20 quickly so you can wield a special weapon, and once there you'll be unlikely to swap weapons again. Also, shouldn't the divine and arcane weapons actually scale with Wisdom and Intelligence in some way, instead of merely using them as a prerequisite?

- Lastly, why does the Greatsword of Artorias have a Dexterity requirement? In the game, its requirements are 24/18/20/20 and its scaling is C/C/B/B. It cares about Dexterity, but less than the other stats.

Firstly, I agree with you on the readability factors, and I'm working on that. Now. To address your qualms in order:

Humanity/Sanity: I will probably combine Humanity and Sanity into the same stat, but upon reaching 0 it's not game over, your character just gets weirder, if THAT happens to much your character eventually becomes so tainted by the Abyss that they're abominations and seek to drain humanity.

Races:The Generic Snakefolk of Sen's fortress, I could stat, as they actually have fragments of the Dark Soul. However, Silver Knights as kin of the gods, do not have fragments of the Dark Soul, and thus if they ever encountered concentrations of Humanity akin to Manus, they would meet an ugly, ugly fate as their body rejects the Humanity. Source: it's what happened to Artorias, that fight is you putting him out of his misery.

ASR: First draft, I've already thought up better ideas, and I believe weapons scale with Strength or Dex in D&D, I just need to make more weapon tags, and appropriately tag the already existing weaponry.

Greatsword of Artorias: I've made it a dexterity weapon mainly due to how the titular knight wields it, and how your character uses it as well. As DkS went on from the original to 2 to 3, they've made the Wolf Knight's Greatsword more and more of a dexterity weapon, in the end in DkS 3 it had it's best scaling stat in dexterity, and well, I do not agree with every change DkS 3 made, but I like that. I'll probably make it a finesse weapon as well, as it's more skillful, rather than outright brute strength.

Alkerite
2018-09-17, 02:17 PM
Update time. Barbarian changes and the class option Way of the Dragon. PEACH-y keen.
Hitdice 1d12
Hitpoints at Level 1: 12 + Con
Hitpoints at higher levels 1d12 + Con, or 7 + Con.

Proficiencies: R.A.W.

Starting items: R.A.W.

Level 1 abilities: Rage:

Rage: R.A.W. But more rages. 4 for level 1, 5 for level 3, and so on. To make up for the lack of Unarmored defense.

Level 2 Abilities: R.A.W

Level 3 Abilities: Primal Paths: Way of the Dragon, Way of the Wolf

Level 4: Feat gain

Level 5: R.A.W

Level 7: R.A.W

Level 8: Feat gain

Level 9: R.A.W

Level 11: Relentless Rage: Gain advantage on saving throws if failing would lead you to suffer a status affliction.

Level 12: Feat gain

Level 15: R.A.W.

Level 16: Feat gain

Level 18: R.A.W.

Level 20: God-kin might: You can wield any weapon with the Two-Handed tag, with one hand, without penalty

Way of the Dragon:
The path of the immortal dragon is not an easy one. Endless trials, fair combat, and the promise of what any warrior desires: Unending Life, and boundless power.
“Reach a greater truth through violence, boy.” - Nameless King

Level 3: Dragon Head Stone: Whenever you rage, your visage becomes akin to the great Dragons of old, and you gain one of their mightiest of powers: Fire breath. While you’re raging, you can expend a bonus action to expel powerful flames in a 15 ft. cone (Dex. save) and dealing 1d6 fire damage, half on a successful save. Save difficulty is 8 + Prof bonus + Str bonus. (The head lasts until death, but you can only breathe fire while raging)

Level 6: Dragon’s Scales: upon your next rage, your skin hardens into thick, heavy stone scales. Any attempt to move you against your will suffers disadvantage, and you gain natural armor (8+Dex+Con)
As a result, normal armor and clothing becomes awfully stifling. If you’re wearing armor, gain disadvantage on every dex save until the armor is doffed.
Effect only ends upon death. Does not stack with every rage.

Level 10: Dragon Spirit: Beginning at tenth level, you can expend your action to summon the spirit of a great Dragon, forcing all enemies in a 30 foot cone to make a will save or be knocked prone. Save difficulty is 8 + Prof bonus + Str bonus.

Level 14: Greater Dragon Heart: Double the damage of Dragon Head Stone, gain resistance to fire, cold and arcane damage, and Those that fail the save against Dragon spirit take 2d10 damage, quarter on a successful save.

Second class option Way of the Wolf Knight, coming soon.

Lalliman
2018-09-18, 07:11 AM
Am I missing something about the barbarian rework? It looks like little more than a gratuitous buff. It gets more HP and more rages than the normal barbarian, in return for losing Unarmoured Defence, which is mostly flavour and is very unlikely to actually raise your AC. The new Relentless Rage isn't a downgrade either. Am I missing something? Do you have bad experiences with the default barbarian?

As for Way of the Dragon, it's very strong.

- Dragon Head Stone is at least as good as the Berserker's 3rd level feature but without exhaustion.

- Dragon's Scales has a weird AC calculation that will eventually give you up to AC 24, and it comes at a level that does not traditionally grant a significant power boost.

- Dragon Spirit is fine, only the save DC is weird. Don't change the basic rules for no reason, just use 8 + modifiers.

- Greater Dragon Heart is mostly fine, except it increases your maximum AC (without shield!) to 29. Jesus. It also again breaks the basic rules for no reason with quarter damage on a successful save. If the automatic damage is too much, just lower the primary damage, or have no damage on a successful save at all.

How to fix it depends on what you want. If being a dragonoid abomination is expected to be problematic for the player, enough so to justify greater combat power, then changing the AC calculation to the normal 10 + Dex + Con (or maybe 10 + Str + Con) might be enough. If it's not a bad thing and this is just a class like any other, Dragon Head Stone will need to be nerfed too. You could put a cooldown on it or make it an action to use with scaling damage.

Edit: As to not be entirely negative, I do like the incorporation of the dragon stones into the barbarian class. I'm just confused by some of the design decisions.