PDA

View Full Version : What Third Party or Unofficial Sources do you use or ban?

KOLE
2018-09-13, 03:15 PM
I'd sort of like to come up with a comprehensive list of 5e options. I'm a glutton for player choices, and though I don't see myself ever trying out Pathfinder, I do envy just how many options they have! So I'm trying to compile the most reasonable options I can both for myself and my players (I rotate between PC and DM fairly often these days.)

So if you wouldn't mind sharing with me what you allow or explicitly ban outside of the official books, and perhaps provide some links, I'd appreciate it!

Also, don't be afraid to plug your own homebrew here.

Rhunder
2018-09-13, 03:23 PM
I'll be honest, I often allow my players to do whatever build they want and if one starts to shine more than the rest, I correct with equipment and story boons.

It would take a painfully obvious OP class/build before I out right say no to something. I'd allow coffeelock, however you say it, as I feel it puts you kinda behind in terms of power.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-09-13, 03:44 PM
I do not allow third-party material. I allow UA on a case-by-case basis.

Zilong
2018-09-13, 04:26 PM
I allow basically anything after review. Which of course precludes anything from dndwiki since I've not seen a single homebrew from that archive which is remotely balanced.

I regularly use third-party spells, monsters, and features as DM.

Louro
2018-09-13, 04:32 PM
I don't allow 3rd party sources. If you wanna powergaming go play 3.5
However, I allow anything that builds up character development or story.

As for me as DM I use whatever I feel fits, interesting or funny.

Demonslayer666
2018-09-13, 04:39 PM

Same here.

gloryblaze
2018-09-13, 05:53 PM
I only allow 1st party material, my own homebrew, and some of the archetypes and rule supplements from Middle Finger of Vecna (http://mfov.magehandpress.com).

Lunali
2018-09-13, 05:56 PM
Allow anything after review, which in practice means allow nothing third party, very little of UA, with homebrew by the players themselves occasionally allowed as they're more prone to do it for RP reasons than powergaming.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-09-13, 06:01 PM
I use the following:

No prior approval needed:
* 1st party official stuff--restrictions are purely for world-building (like no gnomes, as they're "extinct", not really, but so everyone thinks).
* My homebrew (which I have lots of)

Usually ok, but check first
* UA is on a case-by-case (and party-by-party) basis, but I'm usually ok with it as long as modifications are on the table as needed.
* Player homebrew has to be cleared specifically, and usually I'll ask for some modifications. But I've let players homebrew spells and items to fit their design better
* Kobold Press's player options (Clockwork magic, angelic magic, weapon abilities, stuff like that), but no-one's ever asked.

Used as a DM (but not really player options)
* Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts
* 5th Edition Foes

I'd generally prefer to homebrew something that fits the setting rather than trying to import a 3rd party thing. I've homebrewed races, I have lots of classes that need testing, and spells/items/monsters are done on a regular basis.

Pex
2018-09-13, 06:02 PM
The DM for my paladin game is PHB only. He was originally open to anything but got burned hard early in the game when the only splat was Sword Coast Guide. A player was playing a Bladesinger. When the Wizard was in melee swinging a staff with Booming Blade with AC 22 Hasted and still cast Fireball, the DM swore off anything non-PHB. Only when Xanathar came out did he allow non-PHB things but only on a case by case basis and still no Bladesingers.

Finback
2018-09-14, 12:03 AM
I review the content, and evaluate. Sometimes it's just magical items; sometimes it's monsters - I regularly use the Kobold Press Tome of Beasts/Creature Codex stuff because it's usually very well balanced and regulated. I have also used the Talents material from Dragonix, as I feel it allows a bit more diversity of how you play, without making something too powerful. My players are mostly not into optimising, playing what they think will be the most fun (we have a duergar bard, a 90 year old human wizard, a tabaxi cleric, a tiefling-turned-into-a-yuan-ti blood hunter, and a githzerai ranger. Previous members included a triton rogue, dragonborn ranger and a half-elf sorcerer.), so it's rare someone takes something OP.

That being said, I've allowed it in this campaign, but I'm thinking of not using the Mystic again until it's revised. A game I play in had one (and now a second player in my group wants to MC into it after I allowed one to do so), but I'm thinking for the future, no more. It's less an issue right now, because the players tend not to see the optimising, but in the game I play in, it rapidly got broken at times and made that DM's life frustrating when an entire arc gets derailed.

Finback
2018-09-14, 12:10 AM
* Kobold Press's player options (Clockwork magic, angelic magic, weapon abilities, stuff like that), but no-one's ever asked.

I have a warforged cleric of Primus all lined up to go, should my paladin die, in CoS. Totally want to run the Clockwork magic, to he can espouse the glories of the celestial cogs, have him scream, "BY THE HEX-CODES OF HOGGOTH!", and otherwise play up his outsider nature.

Kane0
2018-09-14, 12:23 AM
I got my own homebrew in my sig (only removal is Xans Hexblade), plus anything else a player is interested in after review.

McSkrag
2018-09-14, 01:15 AM
I allow all official hardcover books. I allow UA races on a case by case basis if the player writes up a good backstory. This gives my players plenty of options.

I would not allow a cheesed broken builds like coffeelocks. Thankfully none of my players are interested in those kinds of things.

In general if the player is trying to make something fun or interesting that adds to the story I'll work with them to make it happen in a balanced way.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-09-14, 02:00 AM
We use the official books only. No third party, no UA, no homebrew.

That's not because I "ban" anything outside of that, and more because my group have never shown any interest in anything outside of that - and are largely unaware that it even exists.

I bet if I did a quick straw-poll of my group and asked them what Unearthed Arcana was I'd get two or three "It was an AD&D supplement, wasn't it?" responses and blank stares from the rest.

Oramac
2018-09-14, 07:13 AM
My current games all have (had) very new players, so I kept it to only hardcover published material, plus the Revised Ranger. This was more to prevent the newbies from being overwhelmed and overshadowed by more experienced players.

In forthcoming games I'll allow:

All hardcover material

My own homebrew (see my sig)

UA (with revisions, if I feel it necessary)

Critical Role Content

Player homebrew (probably also with revisions)

MFoV (if it fits the story/world)

===========

Definitely nothing from dandwiki. That place is like Mos Eisley Spaceport.

Spiritchaser
2018-09-14, 07:40 AM
In theory anything with review

In practice this has amounted to the artificer, a handful of spells and a paladin oath.

I’d definitely allow the UA artificer again, though I’d likely buff it a bit next time

Sigreid
2018-09-14, 07:44 AM
I picked up Masters of Death with a few classes and allow it after having reviewed it to make sure none of the classes were out of bounds on power.

I'm open to considering anything, but if I think it's power creep....no.

ciarannihill
2018-09-14, 07:50 AM
For sake of ease I try to stick with things available on DnD Beyond since I have everything on that for ease of access and use (I love having and reading the physical books, but transporting all the ones we might need isn't practical so having them all on a tablet works beautifully) -- essentially:

Official content, Critical Role content (with approval), UA (with approval), and custom homebrew (of which I have plenty). Makes it easy to keep track of these things, and makes it easy for me to verify character sheets if need be.

Also I can stealthily add or remove things from character sheets if the story warrants it, my group got robbed in the night once (because they trusted a shady AF innkeeper, not just because), so I removed their gold from their sheets and just mentioned that their packs felt oddly light that morning, prompting them to check and see what I had done, muahahaha... (Made them super hate the minor villain who was basically running the town's black market from the shadows even more when they found out the innkeeper worked for him)

Oramac
2018-09-14, 08:12 AM
Also I can stealthily add or remove things from character sheets if the story warrants it, my group got robbed in the night once (because they trusted a shady AF innkeeper, not just because), so I removed their gold from their sheets and just mentioned that their packs felt oddly light that morning, prompting them to check and see what I had done, muahahaha... (Made them super hate the minor villain who was basically running the town's black market from the shadows even more when they found out the innkeeper worked for him)

As much as I hate DNDBeyond (I'm not buying $400+ of books twice), this is a damn good idea! Being able to stealthily change things is pretty nice.

Sception
2018-09-14, 10:16 AM
Actively allow hardcover material (except for flying races) and cr's bloodhunter allowed up front, with some story but not mechanical alterations as appropriate to fit campaign (ie, orc race allowed with mechanics as in volos, but orc biology, culture, & history may be very different).

Playtest and 3rd party material allowed on a case by case basis, with homebrew alterations more likely than outright bans for problem cases. Also an up front understanding that if something becomes a problem in play, alterations may be made after the fact, though rebuilding is allowed in such cases.

If a player wants to do something the rules dont support well, i am willing to collaborate on homebrew.

Eragon123
2018-09-14, 10:20 AM
https://www.amazon.com/5e-Feats-Other-Options-Dungeons/dp/1539356817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536938350&sr=8-1&keywords=5e+Feats+and+Other+Options%3A+Dungeons+an d+Dragons+5e

I've had someone try and bring this to my table before.
It's basically just someone trying to bring 3.5 feats to 5e.

ciarannihill
2018-09-14, 10:43 AM
As much as I hate DNDBeyond (I'm not buying $400+ of books twice), this is a damn good idea! Being able to stealthily change things is pretty nice.

Yeah it's a nice bonus, also being able to look up things like Passive Perception without alerting the players to it is cool.

They definitely need to find a better way to allow for people who own the physical books to get them on DnD Beyond at some kind of reduced rate for sure, I understand it's a separate product, but anyone who's already invested in books is less likely to join, which is not really a good thing. Thankfully so long as one person owns the books they can share them within a campaign group through the site, which makes it easier, no need for everyone to pick up Xanathar's to make use, just one person (usually the DM, let's be honest).

Waterdeep Merch
2018-09-14, 11:36 AM
I change what I allow on a game-by-game basis, and often manipulate even PHB sources to suit the flavor of game I'm going for.

To date, I've allowed:
Every official source
UA articles
Kobold Press, everything
Frog God Games
Matt Mercer's materials
Multiple DM's Guild options

I also do a lot of homebrewing. Like, enough that in my current game my players joke that they need to study before sessions just to remember what all they can do. I'm not always this crazy, but right now I am.

MaxWilson
2018-09-14, 01:13 PM
I'd sort of like to come up with a comprehensive list of 5e options. I'm a glutton for player choices, and though I don't see myself ever trying out Pathfinder, I do envy just how many options they have! So I'm trying to compile the most reasonable options I can both for myself and my players (I rotate between PC and DM fairly often these days.)

So if you wouldn't mind sharing with me what you allow or explicitly ban outside of the official books, and perhaps provide some links, I'd appreciate it!

Also, don't be afraid to plug your own homebrew here.

I use the Book of Lost Spells to inspire player-driven spell research (examples of what is possible), and I occasionally hand out spells directly from the Book of Lost Spells in treasure.

I use a few monsters from Kobold's Tome of Beasts (e.g. I like Algoriths) and from various internet sources (e.g. I like the Abishai from http://sefotron.blogspot.com/2016/11/abishai-medium-fiend-cr-4-17.html better than the Mordenkainen's Abishai).

I allow any player options from PHB/Volo's/Mordenkainen's/Xanathar, including the monster options from Volo's.

I don't allow UA because the quality is generally poor and I don't need more clutter in my game.

I sometimes encourage players to make up their own human "races" to go along with variant human selections. You're a variant human with +1 Str, +1 Con, and Heavy Armor Master? Let's call that a Valerian. You come from a famous race of heavy infantrymen, and if you ever meet a fellow Valerian they will have the same heavy build (+2 Str/+1 Con) and damage reduction that you have. You want to have +1 Dex/+1 Con and Mobile feat? Okay, let's call that a Machakan, and you're a skinny, dark-skinned warrior of the savannah. (Or whatever.)

Eradis
2018-09-14, 01:58 PM
For my players, I usually stick with the tested stuff, e.i. official material. Although I am open for other sources, my players simply aren't the kind that would venture in the web to find specific race, class or feature.

As on my GM end, I am more incline to use other sources if I see fit. Usually though it means reskinning some official monster into something else (using the stats of goblins to represent pygmies or something like that). I am bending a few rules, and I do love to give the players special mounts, companions or pets even when it shouldn't apply. As long as everything balances out and it's fun for everyone I'm OK with it. Reason #1 I go with point-buy/standard array instead of rolling for stats.

KOLE
2018-09-14, 02:08 PM
I also do a lot of homebrewing. Like, enough that in my current game my players joke that they need to study before sessions just to remember what all they can do. I'm not always this crazy, but right now I am.

Care to share with the class? I've been hunting around for homebrew lately but outside of MFOV, Kobold Press, and a select few DM's Guild entries have been having trouble finding good stuff.

Oramac
2018-09-14, 02:27 PM
Care to share with the class? I've been hunting around for homebrew lately but outside of MFOV, Kobold Press, and a select few DM's Guild entries have been having trouble finding good stuff.

You're welcome to use my homebrew if you like (in my sig). The Lycan, Oath of the Storm, Death Knight, Witch and most of the magic items have all been playtested fairly well up to 10th level or so. I'd happily welcome any feedback if you do use it.

KOLE
2018-09-14, 02:57 PM
You're welcome to use my homebrew if you like (in my sig). The Lycan, Oath of the Storm, Death Knight, Witch and most of the magic items have all been playtested fairly well up to 10th level or so. I'd happily welcome any feedback if you do use it.

I have peeped your stuff on DM's guild before! Intrigued by your Lycan and am very much looking for a Witch class. Expect a few dollars coming your way on good ol' DM's Guild!

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-14, 03:37 PM
I ban all of it that isn't official rules.
All. Of. It.

Not interested in balancing via play test what others can't be bothered to balance when they publish it (and in some cases are trying to get money for).

The official rules have enough lumpy spots as it is.

(UA might be allowed but it takes prior discussion and tweaking, DM and player together).

I am awaiting version 4 on mystics/psionics before we try those again.

Oramac
2018-09-14, 03:41 PM
I have peeped your stuff on DM's guild before! Intrigued by your Lycan and am very much looking for a Witch class. Expect a few dollars coming your way on good ol' DM's Guild!

Thank you!! I really appreciate it. And like I said, if you have any feedback please let me know too.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-09-14, 03:51 PM
I'll be honest, I often allow my players to do whatever build they want and if one starts to shine more than the rest, I correct with equipment and story boons.

It would take a painfully obvious OP class/build before I out right say no to something. I'd allow coffeelock, however you say it, as I feel it puts you kinda behind in terms of power.

This is my approach too. I don't mind anything that I've previously vetted, and I don't mind cheesy/OP builds. I feel pretty confident in my ability as a DM to play a challenge to each individual player so that everyone feels like they're adding something unique.

Typically the only times I ban something that a player really wants to do is if A) It's just not mechanically functional/way too complicated for me to bother with, or B) it doesn't fit the setting of my world (i.e. Gunslinger in some campaigns, good Goblins in others, etc.).

My top used materials are 1st party/UA followed by random magic items from the interwebs that you guys make up. Rarely do my players really want to go outside of that, but if they did I wouldn't mind.

Oramac
2018-09-14, 03:52 PM
Not interested in balancing via play test what others can't be bothered to balance when they publish it

You do know that everything is balanced via playtest right? Even the official WOTC material is extensively playtested before it's published.

Sception
2018-09-14, 04:46 PM

I probably wouldn't allow coffeelock myself, but thankfully it hasn't come up.

DMThac0
2018-09-14, 04:51 PM
I'm open to anything when I'm playing with a group my caveats are as follows:

New players, never played D&D: Only core material.

Mixed group of newbs and vets: I'll stick to any published WoTC material.

Veteran group: Run it by me, if it's not too far fetched it'll probably be allowed.

-I've been playing long enough that I feel there's very little my players can throw at me that I can't figure out how to make it enjoyable from either side of the screen...and yes that even goes for the min/maxing gestalt monstrosities that 3.5 allowed us to make.

(sig has homebrew bard college I made for a homebrew game)

Waterdeep Merch
2018-09-14, 05:26 PM

I shared one here a long while ago, the Gish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?382872-Gish-The-Class). It's easily my most playtested, as it's been fairly popular with my players. I've had two other DM's I know adopt it for their games, too. I'm pretty happy with it.

That and a few others I've been reserving for myself and friends, but frankly... there isn't really a reason to hide it (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By-20z2Yd7).

Well, aside from a lot of the art I used to spruce up the page not being properly credited. Which bugs me these days, a lot. I really need to track everyone down and make proper accreditation.

Tanarii
2018-09-14, 05:41 PM
The DM for my paladin game is PHB only. He was originally open to anything but got burned hard early in the game when the only splat was Sword Coast Guide. A player was playing a Bladesinger. When the Wizard was in melee swinging a staff with Booming Blade with AC 22 Hasted and still cast Fireball, the DM swore off anything non-PHB. Only when Xanathar came out did he allow non-PHB things but only on a case by case basis and still no Bladesingers.

Are you secretly one of my players?

NRSASD
2018-09-14, 05:53 PM
I allow anything after review, but a review is not a guaranteed pass. I ban races for story reasons primarily, but I do ban classes for mechanics. For example, in my current campaign world, there are no aasimar, drow, or dragonborn, and hexblades and grave clerics are banned (we have a homebrew critical hit/miss system, which makes the champion way more interesting and those two classes faaar too strong).

I primarily use the big three monster manuals (MM, VGtM, MToF), but I also homebrew a lot of monsters. I also have Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts, but I frequently just take a concept and completely restat it.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-14, 07:52 PM
You do know that everything is balanced via playtest right? Even the official WOTC material is extensively playtested before it's published. I think you missed my point. I am not interested in play testing someone else's "bright idea of the week." That which has already been play tested and then presented -- I have been paying attention to how stuff moves from UA to published, you'll note the Lore Wizard never got out of play test -- I am interested in having at my table since it has passed a few quality cuts. And as I said, even with play testing and being published, some of the official material is still lumpy.

Bloat sux.

PS: I helped to play test a sci fi game that never made it to publishing in the late 1970's. I lived through three editions of bloat in D&D. I am skeptical of how valuable more bloat is. The Arduin Grimoire is still in my collection, but I no longer introduce it's quirks into my games.

Pex
2018-09-14, 10:48 PM
Are you secretly one of my players?

Sometimes I think I'm the only one in my metropolitan area who regularly visits and post here. You'd think I'd run into someone in real life who posts here after all this time including pre-5E, but no.

Ironic or not, we probably could get along if I were a player in your game. I'd gripe about you here, but I'd still be playing. :smallyuk:

Submortimer
2018-09-15, 07:19 PM
I, obviously, use the MFoV/Mage Hand Press stuff very frequently in my own games, both because it always needs playtesting and I like a lot of the things we write.

That said, I generally allow most UA material, and I frequently pull from the Tome of Foes for monsters people haven't seen before. I have shifted to not allowing the Mystic anymore until it gets a second pass, though.

Ronnocius
2018-09-16, 07:26 PM
I allow Player's Handbook (obviously), villainous class options from Dungeon Master's Guide (though only in an evil campaign, or if there was a legitimate justification to use them), Volo's Guide to Monsters races (monstrous races are generally allowed but must be approved beforehand), Xanathar's Guide to Everything is subject to my approval (I do not own the book), Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is allowed. Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is also subject to my approval.

In terms of actual unofficial content, Unearthed Arcana is generally disallowed and homebrew is completely banned. I would be open to allowing the Kobold Press player options but I do not have my copy yet.

In terms of DM material I also use the Tome of Beasts as much as possible.

Kane0
2018-09-16, 07:33 PM
Out of curiosity, how many people permit MM Happy Hour content?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-09-16, 07:44 PM

Let's see, it's explicitly

- not tested
- not balanced
- not polished

And it's by someone who says themselves that they're more of an idea person than a mechanics person.

Hard pass. If I want untested homebrew, I have plenty of my own that's designed for my setting.

MaxWilson
2018-09-16, 08:05 PM

Not I. 5E is already cluttered enough; I see no value in adding more clutter.

This is not a balance concern. I can imagine allowing a player to play a monster from the MM like a Medusa (with no class advancement), if they had their heart set on it, and I doubt Happy Hour would be *stronger* than a Medusa. But Medusas exist already in my game, and whatever Mike comes up with probably does not, so Medusas are less complicated to add.

Eragon123
2018-09-16, 08:18 PM
Here is a subclass that I loved the concept for and asked my DM if I could play it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkwZBBxO-

After a while some aspects of the class were a bit strong. So we agreed to some revisions.

Here are my revisions to it.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bk5_FHImX

Kane0
2018-09-16, 08:32 PM
Neat! Haven't seen the Geometer brought into 5e yet, always liked the idea of depicting spells in a more hands-on fashion.

Eragon123
2018-09-16, 11:00 PM
Neat! Haven't seen the Geometer brought into 5e yet, always liked the idea of depicting spells in a more hands-on fashion.

I've actually played this before and got really into it.

Here are some of the maps I made.

1st attempt (https://imgur.com/3dUPprQ)

2nd attempt (https://imgur.com/Jiu2Uts)
(actually added flaps to this one later so I didn't have to draw a whole new map for a change I wanted to make)

3rd attempt" (https://imgur.com/pDrmqGu)
This is when I managed to find a trove of scrolls and made a new map focusing on Transmutation.

opticalshadow
2018-09-17, 12:38 AM
I do not allow third party materials, and to be honest typically do not allow non book published materials (such as no UA)

i also strongly prefer not playing in games that allow that stuff. The only exceptions are a couple groups i was in that predated 5e when it came out using races or classes from previous editions or that had items that no longer existed, and to maintain the campaign we had to make some exceptions.

But honestly, i want a published official book, or i generally dont even look at it (UA stuff on a limited case by case)

superstrijder15
2018-09-17, 04:45 AM
I look at everything outside of the PHB on a case by case basis, and although basically noone asked for such things yet I expect to be pretty lenient. Of course it might need some tweaks after playtesting, and whatever homebrew thing a player uses immediatly becomes a possibility for every single Cultist, Bandit or Captain of the Guard, so if it is too broken you want to be a bit careful.

Also I homebrew some things, mainly to keep the settign intact. For example I wanted a somewhat functional ecosystem underground but to allow enough producers I allow all monsters that can petrify to eat normal stone too (which can also explain cave-ins if needed).

Since my setting has a theoretically unlimited number of planar gates between planes, you could also play extraplanars if you wanted and I don't hate the specific extraplanar, though you would need some backstory to explain it.

Oramac
2018-09-17, 07:51 AM
I shared one here a long while ago, the Gish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?382872-Gish-The-Class). It's easily my most playtested, as it's been fairly popular with my players. I've had two other DM's I know adopt it for their games, too. I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice!! I like that you used the Paladin chassis for it. I personally think it's a highly underutilized chassis in 5e. Reading through it, there's a few mechanical concerns I'd have, but overall I think you've done a solid job making a really well-rounded gish.

I think you missed my point. I am not interested in play testing someone else's "bright idea of the week." That which has already been play tested and then presented -- I have been paying attention to how stuff moves from UA to published, you'll note the Lore Wizard never got out of play test -- I am interested in having at my table since it has passed a few quality cuts. And as I said, even with play testing and being published, some of the official material is still lumpy.

I see. Yes, I misunderstood. No worries. And you're definitely right that even the WOTC stuff sometimes misses really important issues during playtest.

Maxilian
2018-09-17, 09:16 AM

Same here.

Though if i ever allow third-party material, is most likely a race (Not from Dndwiki).

Note: Monsters on the other hand, i use them and abuse them regardless where they come from

Ganymede
2018-09-17, 09:30 AM
I allow the Path of the Gloambound, because I made it and I know it isn't busted.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/239278/Path-of-the-Gloambound