PDA

View Full Version : Female Steeders, the Leap Ability, and the Jump Spell

ATHATH
2018-09-13, 03:51 PM
Female steeders get the Leap ability:

Leap. The steeder can expend all its movement on its turn to jump up to 90 feet vertically or horizontally, provided that is speed is at least 30 feet.

Can the use of the Jump spell ("You touch a creature. The creature’s jump distance is tripled until the spell ends.") on a female steeder (or a Druid Wild Shaped into one) triple the amount of distance that the Leap ability can let you move in a single turn?

If so, this would let a buffed female steeder move at a rate of 270 ft. per 6 seconds, or approximately 30 miles per hour (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ0xBCwkg3E).

Tiadoppler
2018-09-13, 04:34 PM
Probably not.

The Leap special action is distinct from the standard jump movement (as determined by a creature's Strength score): It requires that the creature expend all of it's movement, and it has a specific distance which overrides the default jump distance.

A Female Steeder making a standard jump would be able to jump 15' horizontally or 5' vertically.

A Female Steeder making a standard jump under the influence of a Jump spell would be able to jump 45' horizontally or 15' vertically

A Female Steeder using Leap would be able to jump 90' horizontally or vertically.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-13, 05:03 PM
A Female Steeder making a standard jump under the influence of a Jump spell would be able to jump 30' horizontally or 15' vertically.

FTFY. You're still limited by your maximum movement under the Jump spell, Leap is an exception to that.

Tiadoppler
2018-09-13, 05:42 PM
FTFY

Oops. Right.

ThePolarBear
2018-09-13, 06:17 PM
FTFY. You're still limited by your maximum movement under the Jump spell, Leap is an exception to that.

Oops. Right.

You are limited by movement, not speed. Dash is a thing...

Tiadoppler
2018-09-13, 06:37 PM
You are limited by movement, not speed. Dash is a thing...

Okay. How about this?

While I hereby admit and accept the fact that I am currently unwilling to spend the time needed to write out every possible rules-legal scenario for a Female Steeder's use of jumping in combat, I stand by my initial opinion that the spell Jump would not, by a strict interpretation of the rules, interact with the Female Steeder's Leap ability as currently written.