PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does polymorph change a creatures underlying type

holywhippet
2018-09-13, 04:39 PM
Say you have a creature of a particular type - lets say a fiend. Someone casts polymorph on them and turns them into a bear. Now there are some abilities that can only effect certain creature types - like the warlock Chains of Carceri ability (basically hold monster, but it only works on fiends, elementals and celestials). Given that, would a fiend polymorphed into a bear still be able susceptible to things that can effect fiends or would it be immune because currently it is a beast type?

Demonslayer666
2018-09-13, 04:41 PM
My first inclination is to go with no, it wouldn't work because it's a beast.

I usually go with the rule of cool though, and if a player was desperate to affect it, I'd probably allow it.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-13, 04:58 PM
RAW, yes. Polymorph changes your statistics, and creature type is part of your statistics.

Dalebert
2018-09-14, 07:49 AM
I think generally the best way to handle this for the fewest horribly broken shenanigans is to say the creature is still under the effect but temporarily immune. So a humanoid under Hold Person gets turned to a beast. It's still under Hold Person but it's not working. If it gets turned back to a person while the spell is still going, it's held again.

Saw someone try to create zombie giants by True Polymorphing their corpes into humanoid corpses, casting Animate Dead, and then dropping concentration. And by "try to" I mean he did, because it was a time-sensitive epic and the DM didn't want to argue with him.

PeteNutButter
2018-09-14, 08:19 AM
That means my Druid with his staff of the woodlands could polymorph anything then on the following round cast awaken (sage advice confirmed it is only an action with the staff) and then charm anything for 30 days...

How long will the DM let you keep that item if every monster is a wisdom save away from being a buddy for a month?

Most broken item in the game.

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-14, 08:51 AM
but polymorph only lasts for an hour,
so you have a friendly beast for an hour, and you have to maintain concentration on that.

i agree that chains of c won't work on polymorphed beasts.

but beast spells are cheaper (and more effective) than monster spells
animal friendship - 24 hours, 1st level, and no concentration.

PeteNutButter
2018-09-14, 09:23 AM
but polymorph only lasts for an hour,
so you have a friendly beast for an hour, and you have to maintain concentration on that.

i agree that chains of c won't work on polymorphed beasts.

but beast spells are cheaper (and more effective) than monster spells
animal friendship - 24 hours, 1st level, and no concentration.

That’s assuming that no longer being a beast somehow dispels the effects of awaken. Which while a totally viable ruling, is in no way RAW. The duration is instantaneous.