PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Alter Self plus Martial Arts

holywhippet
2018-09-14, 01:11 AM
So if a monk (somehow) casts alter self on themselves does their unarmed attack gain +1 to attack and damage always while damage is 1d6 or higher based on martial arts progression?

nickl_2000
2018-09-14, 06:40 AM
Yes that is correct.

sophontteks
2018-09-14, 06:48 AM
Natural weapons can't be used with martial arts as seen with wildshape monks. They can use unarmed attacks as a bear, but they only roll martial arts die. I think, because this +1 is for the natural weapons, you only get to use it if you aren't using martial arts.

Thats only RAW as far as I can tell. Surely its sensible to allow it.

RazorChain
2018-09-14, 07:02 AM
Natural weapons can't be used with martial arts as seen with wildshape monks. They can use unarmed attacks as a bear, but they only roll martial arts die. I think, because this +1 is for the natural weapons, you only get to use it if you aren't using martial arts.

This is not true and can clearly be seen in the movie Kung Fu Panda

PeteNutButter
2018-09-14, 08:07 AM

But Alter Self specifically says “your unarmed strikes...” so it totally works with monks. Short of having a ring of spell storing or something similar it’d require a 3 level dip in a MAD class for what is +1 to hit and damage, still probably not worth it in most cases.