PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #312 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-05-03, 12:12 PM
New comic is up.

icelator
2006-05-03, 12:17 PM
I always laugh at the buffalo wings and chicken fingers jokes.

woot first post somehow

rbaird
2006-05-03, 12:19 PM
First time poster, just really liked the ninja waiter. Once again, great comic.

Reborn
2006-05-03, 12:19 PM
Very cool.

First page!!

And I prefer you having two early strips a week to 3 midnight ones a week :)

DarkCorax
2006-05-03, 12:20 PM
A long time lurker has finally come to post...

lol ^^ Ninja Waiter great!
...And the Restaurant is called T.G.I. Wednesday!
... Food Delivery Technician!! :D
... and love the last panel!

... in other words great Comic Giant!

Edit: First post ever and got First Page!!

Edit2: spelling + new yays

KaroLunel
2006-05-03, 12:21 PM
Very funny

"Relax Harold, we're supposed to be having a nice dinner together!"
;D

I wonder what Vaarsuvius was going to say about the other people with high charisma scores. ::)

kasib
2006-05-03, 12:21 PM
Nice pure comedy-oriented episode for a change. Brilliant.

Eloco
2006-05-03, 12:22 PM
Nice last panel!

Not so nice Belkar!

TinSoldier
2006-05-03, 12:23 PM
Durkon: Nice Dodge.
Waiter: Ninja.

That was the best joke. Even better than the buffalo wings.

The last panel kinda reminds me of the Geico commercials with the Neanderthals.

EscherEnigma
2006-05-03, 12:24 PM
"nonexistant appendages of an endangered species"

Heh.

And isn't this little team bonding dinner shaping up nicely?

Eriol
2006-05-03, 12:24 PM
Just in case anybody asks, they're called Buffalo Wings because they were invented (or commonly thought to have been invented... not interested in a debate on it) in Buffalo, NY. If they were invented in Chicago, they'd be known as Chicago Wings.

Still, good for a small chuckle.

Nitpick I know is going to come up: why do buffalos HAVE to be endangered in that world?

Answering myself: why not? The Giant can make anything endangered/not that he wants.

/becomes schitzophrenic...

;)

Kiroho
2006-05-03, 12:25 PM
"Calm down Harold..." That was priceless.

Giant - well done, again.

<edit - misquote>

Baxder
2006-05-03, 12:26 PM
...I prefer you having two early strips a week to 3 midnight ones a week :)

Word. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new thread up!

"Nice dodge"
"Ninja"

haha

Edit: As much as I hate seeing it - Woot! First page!

Mike
2006-05-03, 12:27 PM
Poor waitress.

<nitpick>Last panel, a typo. "May" should be "my," if I'm not mistaken. Also, the buffalo's wings never show up until the last panel, even though they should be peeking out from behind the whole time.</nitpick>

cyberchihuahua
2006-05-03, 12:27 PM
*obligitory first page Woot!

I don't know if I will ever be able to decide between Belkar and Durkon. Both simply steal the show for me.

Now we need to have a contest between ninja waitresses and pirate bartenders. ;D

Nerd-o-rama
2006-05-03, 12:28 PM
Ninja School...

I love this comic.

A great bit of probably-plotless humor for laugh-inducing. And in the middle of the day, too.

EDIT: Damn, missed first page by a minute.

Doug_Lampert
Very funny

;D

I wonder what Vaarsuvius was going to say about the other people with high charisma scores. ::)
I think he SHOULD go over there and and do something about Belkar.

The people with high Charisma scores are out separately on dates, so they aren't there to help get a good seat.

titan_monarch
It was the minor jokes in this one that had me laughing, because the main punchline was so predictable the moment I read "buffalo wings". But "TGI Wednesdays" made me laugh so loudly that my dad, who was standing nearby at the time, gave me a funny look. The best line in this strip for me, though, the one that actually made me fall off my chair laughing, was when Belkar threw the plate, and Durkon muttered "Nice dodge!" to which the waitress replied "Ninja." Pure comedy all through the strip.

[EDIT] I was going to say "First page, for the first time ever!" but a whole page of replies appeared as I was writing this!

n11
I notice that one of the extras "forgot" to remove their glasses before going "on stage" (first panel).

V, Durkon, and Belkar (his size is not well disguised while sitting), the wallflowers of OOTS.

The Giant
2006-05-03, 12:29 PM
<nitpick>Also, the buffalo's wings never show up until the last panel, even though they should be peeking out from behind the whole time.</nitpick>

She was in the Ladies' Room for the first 9 panels. :P

rat_bastard
2006-05-03, 12:29 PM
well, that certanly came out of left feild...

but you can have a buffilo with wings! you just give it the half dragon template! no as for explaining why a dragon got it on with a buffilo, well...

Maxymiuk
2006-05-03, 12:30 PM
Huzzah for ninja waitresses!

The charisma comment was probably in relation to them ending up in an otherwise crappy restaurant.

Nlannie
2006-05-03, 12:33 PM
haha great :D

belkar is the best

Baxder
V, Durkon, and Belkar (his size is not well disguised while sitting), the wallflowers of OOTS.

You know, upon re-reading the strip, I am amusingly yet regretfully (quote in mind) reminded of those high-school years 3AM outings to Dennys with my band-geek friends. I think the whole "buffalo wing" conversation is even ringing a bell....

*shudder*

Morchaint
great comic!
ninja waitress LOL

2nd page go me.

buffalo with wings in next booth ROTFMAO
*falls off computer chair* *dies laughin----------------

Itdano
2006-05-03, 12:35 PM
"Nice dodge."
"Ninja"

Awesome.

GoGoHalfElfRanger
2006-05-03, 12:41 PM
Very fun. Reminds me of dining out and getting weirded out by stuff on the menu. Though I've never had a ninja waitress.

Nolgoth
2006-05-03, 12:43 PM
I haven't posted in ages, but the whole idea of a waitress putting herself through ninja school on tips is hilarious. She is not a very good ninja though, if she is telling people about it. Maybe now she has to kill them. Better cast detect poison on their food just to be safe.

Eriol
2006-05-03, 12:44 PM
<nitpick>Last panel, a typo. "May" should be "my," if I'm not mistaken.</nitpick>
You're not wrong.

Kanashimi
2006-05-03, 12:45 PM
-Nice Dodge

-Ninja.

gv gv gv gv gv gv gv

Great one.

DeathQuaker
2006-05-03, 12:47 PM
Very fun. Reminds me of dining out and getting weirded out by stuff on the menu. Though I've never had a ninja waitress.

Really? I think every waitress I've had--especially at TGIF or Ruby Tuesday's--has been a ninja waitress. I'm actually grateful Rich has finally explained where they all come from! Seriously, and mine always "poof" in as soon as my mouth's full.

Ninja Waitress: *poof!* Hi, how is everything?
Me: *choking from startlement, mouth full of food* Mph, edrllakfrmotter
Ninja Waitress: Uh huh, great! Well, let me know if you need anything! *poofs, never to be seen again until the meal is finished*
Me: *swallows, sighs* I said I wanted some water.

Happens ALL the TIME.

Really, awesome comic. Every panel's got a good line. And I've heard the buffalo joke before, but it's SO appropriate coming from Belkar.

Squall83
2006-05-03, 12:49 PM
Yay! New comic! ^^

btw: In Belkars last speech bubble is a small typo. He says: "It's not may fault my mouth..."
It should be: "It's not my fault my mouth..."

CADragon
2006-05-03, 12:50 PM
Is the ninja waitress the girl who invited Elan to room 115 in #302?

Just asking...

HypnoticMonk
2006-05-03, 12:51 PM
LOL I love all the jokes , both subtle and obvious, And I've had a similiar discussion with a waitress before(minus the throwing of the chicken parts)

what can I say? I was a surreal person in college..(and yes even now I remain that way. I was managing a bookstore and one of my employees brought a gentleman over to me. She said "He wants to know if we have any books on goats." I looked at the two of them and with my best straight face replied "No we put our books on shelves. When we tried putting books on animals, they would just fall to the ground"

btw, he got the joke, she didnt...sigh

khalid
2006-05-03, 12:51 PM
ninja watiers are so much better than pirate waiters.

hooks can't hold all those dishes.

n11
2006-05-03, 12:55 PM
Is the ninja waitress the girl who inivited Elan to room 115 in #302?

Just asking...

Different hairstyle, so my judgement was no for my "Character Appearances (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1139035266 )" thread.

Bruendor_Cavescout
2006-05-03, 01:00 PM
Shinobi trained waitresses. This explains a lot.

I wonder if the Geico cavemen are sitting right behind the winged buffalos, having a similar conversation.

"I can't believe they're stealing our joke!"

At which point, Jessica Simpson pokes her head in from off-panel, saying, "I know! Class action lawsuit?"

Sorry, just saw a bunch of "reimagined" jokes being used in this comic. TGIW is great, though!

Wrecan
2006-05-03, 01:03 PM
Ninja waitress needs more training. Belkar was able to both Spot and Listen to her (although not hit her).

Baloo
2006-05-03, 01:05 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see the comic up this early, and a funny one too. :)

But now I'll have to wait five days for more on Celia/Roy or Haley/Elan :(

Harliquinn
2006-05-03, 01:06 PM
I believe V was going to say that all the party members with Charisma..."Are out on dates."

Amaroq
2006-05-03, 01:13 PM
"Nice dodge!"

"Ninja!"

reminded me of one of my favorite lines....

"You cheated!"

"Pirate."

TheWanderingLlama
2006-05-03, 01:19 PM
Well, Buffalo Wings makes less in a world where they don't have a Buffalo, New York, you know. TGI Wednesdays! *snicker*

third page?

Melnor
2006-05-03, 01:24 PM
I KNEW my guardian angel was a buffalo!
And they sad I was crazy *twitch twitch*

P.S. Yay for comics up on time!

Vaniel
2006-05-03, 01:24 PM
Hey, nice job on the comic. Totally loved the ending.

Intelligent buffalo with wings.... That must be fun to play in a DnD campaign? Hahaha

Zaruthustran
2006-05-03, 01:33 PM
It makes total sense for Belkar to want to dine on Half-Celestial buffalos.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersHtoI.html#half-celestial

Nazzo, the 102nd
Gotta love this one. Love the "Ninja." line from the waitress. Great comic, Giant.

Dunno why, but this comic kinda reminded me of the classic joke of the Monkey Island games.

"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!"

Talking about non-existant winged buffaloes and they appear just behind you. :)

Nerd-o-rama
You know what the sad thing is? It took me over an hour to get "TGI Wednesday's"

zibeck
2006-05-03, 01:34 PM
So wait, Durkon doesn't have a decent charisma?

That must really hinder his turning ability.

HyperJen
2006-05-03, 01:47 PM
Funniest comic in a long time imho. I literally laughed out loud twice. Which is problematic as I'm at work and people wanted to know what was so funny.

Me: Buffalo wings and ninja waitresses.
Them: ... you are so weird.

*still giggling*

n11
2006-05-03, 01:48 PM
Intelligent buffalo with wings.... That must be fun to play in a DnD campaign? Hahaha

Start with Bison (Int 2, Cha 4).
Give it a headband of intellect +6 (raises Int to 8)
Teach it to read draconic.
Have it read a Tome of Leadership and Influence +5 (raises Cha to 9)
Customize a Cloak of Charisma +6 for the bison (raises Cha to 15)
Have the bison advance eight levels of sorcerer (using its one skill point per level in Knowledge(arcana)).
Have the bison advance nine levels in dragon disciple, this grants wings.

Behold, a winged buffalo!! (very rare indeed)

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-05-03, 01:51 PM
Start with Bison (Int 2, Cha 4).
Give it a headband of intellect +6 (raises Int to 8)
Teach it to read draconic.
Have it read a Tome of Leadership and Influence +5 (raises Cha to 9)
Customize a Cloak of Charisma +6 for the bison (raises Cha to 15)
Have the bison advance eight levels of sorcerer (using its one skill point per level in Knowledge(arcana)).
Have the bison advance nine levels in dragon disciple, this grants wings.

Behold, a winged buffalo!! (very rare indeed)

Or just, you know, awaken a buffalo and give it the winged template from savage species. :P

Gregor_LeBlaque
2006-05-03, 01:53 PM

I was going to suggest that she only raised her wings like that at the end when she got irritated. She was sitting calmly through the first 9 panels and they were folded on her back (out of frame).

Fear the plumage display of the angered buffalo! :)

Swashbuckler
2006-05-03, 01:55 PM
GO BELKAR!!

I'm right there with ya, man. Freakin' restaurants and their durned deceptive menu items! MORE BUFFALO, LESS CHICKEN!! ;D ;D

Albion
2006-05-03, 01:57 PM
This one worked really well to me. ;D Just lots of neatness. I'll have to make a some kind of collection of V's... cursing/rage.

Zann
2006-05-03, 02:01 PM
Loved it. Completely.

Another great comic, Giant.

infiniteviking
2006-05-03, 02:05 PM
Eating with Belkar and Durkon!? That settles it. V's not only a guy, he's a masochist. (And if he's a bit jittery, he's probably still recovering from that one... word.....) XD

Loooove the ninja jokes. There's a lady after my own heart. One can only regret that she's not allowed to hone her skills on various rude jerks.

And Vaarsuvius is evidently as well versed in bureacratese as in any other language. 'Food delivery technician'? Lol! Who's he kidding, then -- he's got Charisma coming out of his pointy ears.

Those buffaloes should totally join the group. Yeah!

Great comic!

jmaccabeus
2006-05-03, 02:06 PM
Or just, you know, awaken a buffalo and give it the winged template from savage species. :P

No, too easy. That's just what they'd expect us to do.

I just like "food delivery technician". The sort of convoluted names people come up with these days to make their jobs sound more important... ;)

DeathQuaker
2006-05-03, 02:09 PM
Ninja waitress needs more training. Belkar was able to both Spot and Listen to her (although not hit her).

LOL. Sooooo true. Maybe it's only because V noticed her first. :)

Zaruthustran
2006-05-03, 02:09 PM

Easier: introduce a boy Celestial buffalo to a girl Prime buffalo. If they like each other *very much*, a Half-Celestial buffalo (with wings) will arrive via stork.

nekron99
2006-05-03, 02:14 PM
Is it me or did Belkar's Cloak make him look like he was sitting in a high chair, which is pretty dang funny btw.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-03, 02:15 PM
Why Wednesday? Besides copyrights, of course. I like Saturday. More bleach.

So are winged buffalo in the Monster Manual? I'm not an expert by any means.

TGIF's usually has a little description under each item, so Belkar's spot check failed again, or he's just grumpy because he hasn't killed anything in over 48 hours.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-03, 02:17 PM
Really? I think every waitress I've had--especially at TGIF or Ruby Tuesday's--has been a ninja waitress. I'm actually grateful Rich has finally explained where they all come from! Seriously, and mine always "poof" in as soon as my mouth's full.

Ninja Waitress: *poof!* Hi, how is everything?
Me: *choking from startlement, mouth full of food* Mph, edrllakfrmotter
Ninja Waitress: Uh huh, great! Well, let me know if you need anything! *poofs, never to be seen again until the meal is finished*
Me: *swallows, sighs* I said I wanted some water.

Happens ALL the TIME.

Really, awesome comic. Every panel's got a good line. And I've heard the buffalo joke before, but it's SO appropriate coming from Belkar.

I know! That always happens to me too--the waitress always manages to walk up right as I've put a bite of food in my mouth! It's nice to see there's at least two other people who have that same problem...

Like everyone else, I loved the "dodging ninja waitress", but even funnier to me than the lines was just the picture of Belkar throwing the plate of food like that. For some reason that image really cracks me up! :D

Now, of course the horror ensues... can I survive 5 days without Oots? Can I survive a potentially longer wait before we see more of Haley and Elan? Good thing I have plans this weekend, or I fear I wouldn't make it...

Keep up the great work, Rich!

n11
2006-05-03, 02:18 PM
Why Wednesday? Besides copyrights, of course. I like Saturday. More bleach.

So are winged buffalo in the Monster Manual? I'm not an expert by any means.

TGIF's usually has a little description under each item, so Belkar's spot check failed again, or he's just grumpy because he hasn't killed anything in over 48 hours.

But TGIW's have their menus dictated by Haley.

Bisons (without wings) are in the SRD, and my sequence of steps to get wings on a typical bison are means all available in the SRD.

indianajoe
2006-05-03, 02:25 PM
Hooray for Buffalo Wings!!! ;D

Winged One
2006-05-03, 02:26 PM
Ninja waitresses...how do you discover the hidden memes in our minds like this? ;D

The Doctor
2006-05-03, 02:27 PM
Why Wednesday? Besides copyrights, of course.

Wednesday was about the only thing in the name I understood immediately...
I had to look up what TGIFridays actually was... thanks for wikipedia. Silly american jokes...

Edit: oh, and as I was on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings

ref
2006-05-03, 02:27 PM
Great comic... But why is Belkar not disguised? Could be dangerous...

Also, what's the joke with TGI Wednesday's? (Seems like another US folklore thing)

Gary_Schaper
2006-05-03, 02:29 PM
Noted the -pop!- maneuver... does this mean that Blackwing is actually a ninja raven?

The Doctor
2006-05-03, 02:29 PM
It's an american food chain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.G.I._Friday%27s

I didn't get it at first, either.

Belkarseviltwin
2006-05-03, 02:31 PM
I'd call them Winged Anthropomorphic Buffalo:
Harold and his wife:
Size/Type: Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), Fly 50 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Gore +5 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Gore +5 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Darkvision (60 ft.)
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate plains, mountains or forests
Organization: Solitary or family (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Advancement: By Character Class
Level Adjustment: +4
Favored Class: Druid or Fighter

Steve_the_ERB
2006-05-03, 02:33 PM
I know! That always happens to me too--the waitress always manages to walk up right as I've put a bite of food in my mouth! It's nice to see there's at least two other people who have that same problem...

You are not alone. This happened often enough in college than I actually ran a game where all the players were infact ninja waiters/waitresses. They all worked at the same restautant serving food by day (and evening) and fighting crime at night. The Ninjitsu Cafe, using full cinematic GURPS Martial Arts rules (for those of you who that means anything to) was short lived but memorable.

Haven't thought about that game in a while...Thanks Rich! :)

Eriol
2006-05-03, 02:41 PM
Also, what's the joke with TGI Wednesday's? (Seems like another US folklore thing)
Two aspects:

1. There's a restaurant called "TGI Fridays". Hence change the day to be in Azure City.

2. How about because the comic was RELEASED on a wednesday, and hence "TGI Wednesdays".

The 2nd one is just speculation though of course. ;)

SWATJester
2006-05-03, 02:43 PM
I swear to god that I'm not joking when I say this, but when I saw "Nice dodge! - Ninja" I actually laughed so hard that I pooped myself just a little bit.

TinSoldier
2006-05-03, 02:47 PM
When I read your comment, I laughed so hard that... never mind.

a1057soul
2006-05-03, 02:50 PM
Just in case anybody asks, they're called Buffalo Wings because they were invented (or commonly thought to have been invented... not interested in a debate on it) in Buffalo, NY. If they were invented in Chicago, they'd be known as Chicago Wings.

As a Buffalonian, I agree. We all call them 'Wings'...
<begin historical flashback montage>
They were invented here in Buffalo, NY at the Anchor Bar (http://www.anchorbar.com/)... although there are places that make MUCH Better wings in and around the city... every pizza place has them as well.

No one else in the country quite makes them right. Although there were a few good visiting restaurants at the Wing Festival last year (http://www.buffalowing.com/), the local places are still the best.
</end historical flashback montage>

They are best deep fried, then drained, tossed thoroughly in BBQ sauce, and Char-Broiled to finish. LaNova's (big Pizza place around here) will actually FED-EX them if you want to try them done right (http://www.lanova.com).

The "Boneless Chicken Wing" that is now being offered at various places as a good evolution of the wing, but eating them is an art form, and taking the bones out just dressed up chunks of chicken breast and just makes it too easy IMO.

;-)
Dan

(Ohh and needless to say, GREAT COMIC Rich... you still rock!)

Tyas
2006-05-03, 02:52 PM
The couple in the next booth are a cameo. That's why she's wearing her glasses.

LenDragon
2006-05-03, 03:11 PM
Had to reply this time. Not just lurk reading as usual.

The waitress is badly trained. She should have waited until the entire party had their mouths full, so that the only possible reply to "Is everything OK here?" or "Are you enjoying your meal?" is "Mmm" with a nod.

On the other hand - Cute Ninja. The suddenly appearing part was perfect, otherwise the party get time to swallow and ask stupid questions about the anatomy of their food.

Gary_Schaper
2006-05-03, 03:19 PM
Two aspects:

1. There's a restaurant called "TGI Fridays". Hence change the day to be in Azure City.

2. How about because the comic was RELEASED on a wednesday, and hence "TGI Wednesdays".
And, with Rich's summer schedule, Wednesday is now the end of the OotS week.

fithi
2006-05-03, 03:19 PM
*snicker* As someone who worked in a restaurant for a while, I am muchly amused by the waitress' sudden appearance. I always enjoyed watching customers' reactions when their server always popped up from nowhere to ask how their meal was.

And the buffalo wings joke is fantastic! Great job!

Oh, and the "Nice dodge" "Ninja" bit was funny too.

All in all, a great comic.

nightfire8199
2006-05-03, 03:24 PM
that was the funniest thing of my day....no really.

my day sucked. >:( :( >:( :( >:( :(

Turgeon
2006-05-03, 03:27 PM
No fair.. My side hurts from laughing at this one.

Chancelikely
2006-05-03, 03:30 PM
This strip just follows the rule that the statements made outside of voice bubbles are the funniest.

Oh, and Vaarsuvius' comment about low charisma should get the Class and Level Geekery thread a bit of a jump start.

Banjo_Buddy
2006-05-03, 03:40 PM
The couple in the next booth are a cameo. That's why she's wearing her glasses.

Plus her name happens to be Wednesday, which might feed into the TGIWednesdays thing.

Eric Burns (complete with purple kimono, recently seen on his blog) and Wednesday White. They have (or at least he has) commented on OotS before, at http://www.websnark.com.

I was quite tickled by it.

LostInBrittany
2006-05-03, 03:44 PM
Wonderful comic, even if being European I missed some of the jokes.

Larrin
2006-05-03, 03:45 PM
My vote is that the Buffalo are favored souls of the Great Spirit, hence the wings.

Mattaeu
2006-05-03, 03:51 PM
haha, Ninja School. yes!

great comic today. maybe cutting back posting increases comedic tendencies? :P

Ironfang
2006-05-03, 03:52 PM
" Thats It! I am going over there! "

I am surprised that is not the line mentioned so far. I just totally see myself or especially my Dad getting up like that.

I just saw the whole thing playing out with the big tough guy going over there, Belkar piping back at him to "Mind his own business" more plates flying, and sadly in the end Belkar would probably get his "Buffalo Wings" while a hysterical Mrs. Buffalo looked on.

(Ooh thinking about that the dreaded "Mark of Justice" would kick in because I know Belkar could not restrain himself")

Hoseki
2006-05-03, 04:01 PM
Did anyone notice 'Ninja School' references a comment Roy made in a Dungeon Crawlin' Fools bonus strip?

;D

Omniplex
2006-05-03, 04:14 PM
The webcomic, already! It's not even 11:00 yet. Delightful. Belkar is such an ass. He's not being stupid here, he's just being Chaotic Evil. The buffalo were a nice touch. Kinda the same level of rediculously funny as fruit pie the sorcerer.

Jaime
2006-05-03, 04:17 PM
I wonder if the waitress is going to be a major character. I mean, it's not every day you see a ninja. (I assume)

OzymandiasVolt
2006-05-03, 04:22 PM
Belkar needs to read Bob and George.

ObadiahtheSlim
2006-05-03, 04:26 PM
I wonder if that place is next door to S.H.I.T

Sorry Honey, It's Thursday.

nordyboy
2006-05-03, 04:39 PM
... I mean, it's not every day you see a ninja. (I assume)

Well, of course not. They're ninjas! ;)

xyzchyx
2006-05-03, 04:49 PM
I swear to god that I'm not joking when I say this, but when I saw "Nice dodge! - Ninja" I actually laughed so hard that I pooped myself just a little bit.I really think that everybody else here could have lived their lives quite happily in ignorance of that piece of knowledge.

egomann
2006-05-03, 04:56 PM
Ninja School?

So is that Ninja College or
Ninja High School?

I am such a huge Nurd, and I am amazed that I am the first one to ask that.

codemartin
2006-05-03, 04:58 PM
So now, I know ninjas are so stealthy, I must be part ninja myself because I always see my waiter/waitress :)

And I must admidt the buffalo wings, were a nice touch.

GypsyThorn
2006-05-03, 04:59 PM
The reason TGIW is funny is that starting today, Fridays come on Wednesday for Rich.

(Or at least that's why I chuckled, after someone else said it took them 1/2 an hour to get the joke.)

Edited for clarity (if not hilarity)

Knightsavior
2006-05-03, 05:13 PM
Ninja School?

So is that Ninja College or
Ninja High School?

I am such a huge Nurd, and I am amazed that I am the first one to ask that.

I think it's High School... and great comic by the way.

Lloyd
2006-05-03, 05:17 PM
Just in case anybody asks, they're called Buffalo Wings because they were invented (or commonly thought to have been invented... not interested in a debate on it) in Buffalo, NY.

Indeed they were.... my home town. In a place called the Anchor Bar. Anyways, it's really cool to see that they do exist in the world of D&D.

And another more thing... isn't Belkar supposed to be wearing some sort of disguise?

Bravo to you, Giant, for another great strip... but in the same breath...

CURSE YOU GIANT, FOR LEAVING THE HALEY/ELAN STORYLINE HANGING!

*squeek* I'm not sure I can make it through the wait unttil Monday's strip... even then, there's no assurance that there will be any sort of closure.... I bet the Giant'll switch back to Roy and Celia.... *SOB*

Jacklu
2006-05-03, 05:21 PM
This is now my favorite strip ever! Buffalow Wings!!!!

Starla
2006-05-03, 05:32 PM
Yea for TGI Wednesday! I think that will become a meme here at Giantitp. ;D

TGIW for the new comic.

How come Belkar's hood is down? Probably because the saphire guards are the only ones who know about him and they are all working or dining at the better restaurants...

I actually didn't notice until the close up and for a second I thought "Whoa is Belkar sitting on a booster seat!?" but before I could laugh I realized it was his cloak he was sitting on so I just smiled at the thought and wished it was a booster seat, then I wondered why his hood was down.

CarpeAmentum
2006-05-03, 05:36 PM
ninja watiers are so much better than pirate waiters.

hooks can't hold all those dishes.

Yes. Yes, Ninjas are better waiters/waitresses, but Pirates would clearly be the better bartenders. I mean, they could take the hook off and replace it with a soda dispenser or something like that. Also, who better to sell Captain Morgan?

Gefangnis
2006-05-03, 05:37 PM
*pop!*

Fillbert
2006-05-03, 05:41 PM
I notice that one of the extras "forgot" to remove their glasses before going "on stage" (first panel)

1) You assume that they are not supposed to have glasses, but the Harry Potter spoof had glasses.

2) "Nice Dodge".... "Ninja" Absofreakinglutly Hillarious

3) What would Belkar do to Harold not being allowed to due lethal damage?

Fillbert
2006-05-03, 05:46 PM
Also, who better to sell Captain Morgan?

1) Ahoy there Capt'n Morgan!!

2) Pirates vs. Ninjas.... I think Pirates would be better due to better charisma (if they are the swashbuckling buccanneer types)

Andiri
2006-05-03, 05:59 PM
I don't get it. How did Belkar spot the waitress? ???
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=3

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-03, 06:05 PM
The waitress wished to be seen, therefore, POP!

Anyone else thing the waitress's hair looked like 20-year-old Joanna Dark's? Except black, of course.

Andiri
2006-05-03, 06:12 PM
The waitress wished to be seen, therefore, POP!

That explains how V and Durkon could see her. Belkar usually needs more help than that.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=121 ;D

SpoonlessJedi
2006-05-03, 06:21 PM
Belkar is such an ass. He's not being stupid here, he's just being Chaotic Evil.

Shhh! we don't know for sure that he's evil. He just has a lucky spell resistance to Unholy Blight. And carries a lead sheet to prove his manhood... You can't prove anything!

coyote6
2006-05-03, 06:30 PM
Kick his half-butt, winged buffalo guy!
;D

Foxer
2006-05-03, 06:31 PM
Nice strip!

Flying Buffalo rock.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-05-03, 06:34 PM
Celestial buffalos... gotta stat me up some of them..

DragoonStar47
2006-05-03, 06:50 PM
Heh, great comic!

BlythraB
2006-05-03, 06:53 PM
The Giant can make anything endangered/not that he wants.

Thank you! I've been wanting someone to point out that the Giant can make anything in his world work any way he wants to. Popcorn wars? remember? HIS WORLD. things don't always have to make sense. and thank you Mr. Burlew for making us laugh. another great comic.

Fishies
2006-05-03, 07:00 PM
I laughed so hard.

tothecornfield
2006-05-03, 07:01 PM

Not to mention that seeing the wings before panel 10 would completely violate the laws of comedy.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-03, 07:06 PM
Maybe it's just the winged buffalos that are endangered. So endangered that no one knows there are such things.

Also: awesome

Tyrasius
2006-05-03, 07:15 PM
Did anyone notice 'Ninja School' references a comment Roy made in a Dungeon Crawlin' Fools bonus strip?

;D
I own Dungeon Crawlin Fools (just got it yesterday YAY! but I already read it. Twice.) and have no idea what your talking about. I read reread the ninja bonus strips, and still have no clue what your refering to. A little help here please ???

Anyway GREAT comic, my favorite is the
"nice dodge"
"ninja"

but I was wondering how Celia managed to fet a table, and same goes for Haley, at nice places. Which by the way at least one of them said they got in a nice place. Durkon says "Tha reservations fer tha good places fill up back in summer."
hmmm maybe the high charisma people diplomacied there way into the good places, and thats what V was gonna say until the ninja waiter showed up.
Or maybe its so we can get some good jokes out of it and I am needlessly nitpicking.

Also, yay The Giants okay!

Boo 2 times a week

Also, yay The Giant wont get burnt out and the quality will remain at this high level and the Giant wont have a heart attack or some other stress incuced disease.
Basically, you are perfectly within your rights to drop to 2 or less comics a week if you want.

I dont remember why I chose to edit this, grrrr
oh YEAH! now I remember.

wow, the first time I post about a comic I make first page the second time ABOUT a comic, it is 8th

TinSoldier
2006-05-03, 07:43 PM
If I get my comic before 9pm PDT, then I am very happy with having two updates a week. I am even happier when I get the comic before lunchtime.

So Yay two-times a week and comics posted earlier in the day! Hopefully The Giant will be more rested with his other work as well.

Any cons in the Portland, Oregon area??

BigT
2006-05-03, 07:48 PM
Wow, I didn't realise that I was missing the last time we saw Belkar being such a pain, it is so much fun... And you do have to be careful what you say in public places, you never know who might be listening.

mec
2006-05-03, 07:50 PM
This is the least azure locale that I've seen in Azure City yet!

Varian7
2006-05-03, 08:44 PM
Yeah for Winged Buffalos and Ninja Waitresses! LOL!

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-05-03, 08:58 PM
Winged-Buffalaur! ;D

Bakta
2006-05-03, 09:17 PM
At least I learned something today, never heard of buffalo wings before. Still don't know what kind of dish it is.

Except for that, very forgettable comic

radioKAOS
2006-05-03, 09:18 PM
-Ninja

Priceless.

Silencer
2006-05-03, 09:27 PM
Wait-he's-standing-right-behind-me-while-I'm-making-humorous-remarks rule is valid even for winged buffalos! :D

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-03, 09:29 PM
Shinobi trained waitresses. This explains a lot.

At which point, Jessica Simpson pokes her head in from off-panel, saying, "I know! Class action lawsuit?"

Sorry, just saw a bunch of "reimagined" jokes being used in this comic. TGIW is great, though!

I wondered if Belkar had been talking to Jessica Simpson, lol!!

Fishies
2006-05-03, 09:33 PM
At least I learned something today, never heard of buffalo wings before. Still don't know what kind of dish it is.

Except for that, very forgettable comic

Buffalo wings are chicken wings. With spicy stuff.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-03, 09:37 PM
I wonder if the waitress is going to be a major character. I mean, it's not every day you see a ninja. (I assume)

And it's a little surprising that she'd be that up front about being a ninja. They're kinda supposed to keep their identity as ninjas secret. But now that I think about it, that was before the Ninja class was introduced in Complete Adventurer (c) :P

Maybe she got fired from Ninja Burger, lol!!!

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-05-03, 09:45 PM
Totally awesome. That reminds me of several visits to TGIF and Ruby Tuesday.

Also reminds me of http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=42

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-03, 09:48 PM
Very funny

;D

Probably something about how the members of the party with higher Charisma are using it to get into the better restaurants.

clight101
2006-05-03, 10:03 PM
Being that I'm from Buffalo NY this comic hit a chord with me. Funny thing is we don't call them Buffalo wings round here, there just chicken wings and if you call them Buffalo wings you get funny stares and made fun of.

Good comic though, got a giggle out of me

TachoWarrior
2006-05-03, 10:04 PM
What can i say about charisma? It has gotten me places and that's why I love Elan...

Fishies
2006-05-03, 10:14 PM
My Half-Orc Barbarian has 12 CHA.

Duraska
2006-05-03, 10:37 PM
Man, Belkar's really reminding me a lot of Cartman these days. He's going beyond "evil" and treading into the "spoiled 12 year old" territory!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-05-03, 11:07 PM
Man, Belkar's really reminding me a lot of Cartman these days. He's going beyond "evil" and treading into the "spoiled 12 year old" territory!

I think he's frustrated because, as another posted pointed out, it's been a while since he got to kill something, and probably won't be able to in the near future.

More than ever, I can picture Belkar with a Cartman voice. ;D

Felinoid
2006-05-03, 11:07 PM
Surprised I'm only the third person in nine pages to worry about Belkar. Put your hood back up before someone sees you! :-X

T.G.I. Wednesday is much more appropriate now that Rich isn't updating on Friday, but I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I saw that was, "T.G.I. Hump Day? WTF are they smoking?" ;D

Gotta love the ninja waitress. Foiling Belkar should be an Olympic sport. ;)

poptartmini
2006-05-03, 11:24 PM
I had a friend once who was a waitress while going to college. At the job, they apparently told her to purposefully go to the tables when they notice food in peoples' mouths. Especially (and please don't hurt me ladies) when the womens' mouths were full of food. That way they would still get the good tip for being a mindful server, while still not having to do as much work.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-05-04, 12:15 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the only person who hated... *ahem*... TGI "Wednesday's." What a horrible, horrible restaurant.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-05-04, 12:26 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the only person who hated... *ahem*... TGI "Wednesday's." What a horrible, horrible restaurant.

I liked their onion soup. The service was slow, but it was a busy night.

I'm partial to anything "Tchotchke's" was based on.

Devils_Advocate
2006-05-04, 12:40 AM
So now, I know ninjas are so stealthy, I must be part ninja myself because I always see my waiter/waitress :)
No, being stealthy oneself does't automatically grant one the ability to counteract the stealth of others. You're not a ninja, you're an Elvish ranger (http://elfonlyinn.comicgenesis.com/d/20030509.html).

I own Dungeon Crawlin Fools (just got it yesterday YAY! but I already read it. Twice.) and have no idea what your talking about. I read reread the ninja bonus strips, and still have no clue what your refering to. A little help here please ???
Read the first panel in the bottom row of page 23a just one more time. If you still don't see it, then... man, I can't help ya.

I didn't even think of that until Hoseki pointed it out. This might not even be a deliberate reference to that, but even if not: Heh! Funny.

I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I saw that was, "T.G.I. Hump Day? WTF are they smoking?" ;D
Well, you have to remember that they use a different calendar (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=302), silly!

I had a friend once who was a waitress while going to college. At the job, they apparently told her to purposefully go to the tables when they notice food in peoples' mouths. Especially (and please don't hurt me ladies) when the womens' mouths were full of food. That way they would still get the good tip for being a mindful server, while still not having to do as much work.
It's a conspiracy! :o An evil conspiracy to avoid giving us proper service and trick us out of our money! That's why DeathQuaker doesn't have her water!

Niiiinnnnjjjjaaaa!!*

(Waits for RawBear to collapse in laughter.)

*A la Kirk yelling "Kaaaahn!"

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-05-04, 01:11 AM
Belkar may have slipped up by using the word "human" when fussing at the waitress. That's liable to come back to haunt him. Stealth and subtlety is not his strong point, is it....?

Is Belkar's stilt still broken, or was it repaired or replaced when he rejoined the other party members?

So if buffalo wings come from Buffalo...what part of a chicken is the finger? Why are they called French fries if they were invented in Belgium? And German chocolate has nothing to do with Germany! Food is quite confusing!

Glasses were first invented in the late 14th century, so they're not quite as anachronistic as one might think. Of course, in the medieval area only the very wealthy could afford them, so I'm presuming this extra with specs is one of the upper crust of Azure City.

At least Belkar didn't ask if he was eating chicken or fish. "My spot check doesn't work through breading!"

grimdirge
2006-05-04, 01:14 AM
Ninja!

nice.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2006-05-04, 01:17 AM
This is the least azure locale that I've seen in Azure City yet!

That's because TGIW is a worldwide company, they come from another country. :P

I also like to point out that, as V explaned, they were naturally direct behind Belkar. The thing is, is he actually expressing a negative opinion about the buffalos? ;)

Anyway, Belkar rocks. 'nuff said. :)

The Glitter Ninja
2006-05-04, 01:40 AM
You know what's sad? I knew Wednesday back in the day, from Usenet, and until someone on LiveJournal explained today's strip to me I didn't realize she was the same Wednesday as the websnark chick. And now here she is, a cameo in my favorite webcomic.

The internetz are too small.

The waitress in this one was great. "Ninja". Indeed.

CelestialStick
2006-05-04, 01:48 AM
Boy, that Belkar--you just can't take him anywhere! ;D

I'm anxious to get back to both the Roy and Haley subplots. Monday seems a long way off . . .

team56th
2006-05-04, 02:37 AM
Cool - Much better than recent romance strips, and, actually, as cool as one of the best OOTS strips ever. Great.

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-05-04, 04:57 AM
I wanna play a ninja waitress now! That is the coolest! At first I was thinking the restaurant staff were illusions, so that the real staff could enjoy the festivities as well, but if ya' gotta pay the tuition...

Also, I think I noticed a typo, or my eyes are just really tired. Belkar says, "It's not may fault..." I believe that it should be "my."

I have a bad habit of noticing things like that in other peoples writings, but never in my own :P.

Very funny, I find that OOTS always brightens my day :).

Ooh, one more thing! Is anyone else curious about what Miko is up to? I'm dying to see how her "spiritual journey" and meditations are going ;D.

JessmanCA
2006-05-04, 05:31 AM
so great

Dave_L
2006-05-04, 06:14 AM
I've been in restaurants when people have been complaining like that.

Afterwards, I always tell my kids, "That's how NOT to behave". :)

"Ninja" - inspired!

Delgarde
2006-05-04, 06:30 AM
Really weird coincidence... only a few days ago, my sister and I were discussing the idea of ninjas in this kind of setting - drinks being delivered to the table without anyone noticing them arrive. Uncanny...

Eldhrin
2006-05-04, 06:50 AM
Rich! No! My sides...

* scrambles around picking internal organs off the floor *

Overelemental
2006-05-04, 08:59 AM
I like the ninja waitress :)

SabreGuy
2006-05-04, 09:23 AM
Apropos of nothing, but while it makes for a pretty good gag, having grown up and lived in Buffalo (home of the chicken wing) my whole life, I absolutely BRISTLE at people referring to them as "Buffalo wings." I know, I know... nobody who doesn't come from Buffalo will care, but for us, it's like sacrilege. They're "chicken wings," people, not "buffalo wings." Fix your menus!

And when Belkar called them "tiny chicken legs in hot sauce"... well, let me just say my abiding love for Belkar was somewhat diminished.

Sorry, sorry. I just couldn't let it go. The Buffalonian in me wouldn't let it rest.

Peptuck
2006-05-04, 09:53 AM
Hm.

Has anyone noticed that this is the only place we've seen in Azure City that doesn't have everything blue or white? (well, aside from Shojo's gardens, but those are plants :P)

That being said, the appearance of the buffalos (winged ones, at that!) caught me so off guard XD

But alas for the poor waitress. Seeing how I work in a restaurant alongside a whole lot of servers, I feel a lot of sympathy for her, having to deal with a **** like Belkar....

Kord
2006-05-04, 10:27 AM
Ha, I knew the end panel was coming. This was one of the best comics in a while.

Rethorn
2006-05-04, 02:07 PM
I laughed my ass off. The comic was good, but what made it better was back on the N3 forums, waay, way, waaaaay long ago there was a Pirate vs. Ninja art contest and Ramen-Ramen Mou drew a picture of a ninja challenging a pirate to a duel, the pirate shooting the ninja, the ninja calling him a cheater and the pirate responding "Pirate."

Good times

artfuldodger
2006-05-04, 02:44 PM
for those of you who dont know (or are really dumb) they proper term is chicken wings. they originated in buffalo ny at the ancor bar. hence the name buffalo wings. but it was a good use of the "out of state" term.

bluish_wolf
2006-05-04, 04:07 PM
for those of you who dont know (or are really dumb) they proper term is chicken wings. they originated in buffalo ny at the ancor bar. hence the name buffalo wings. but it was a good use of the "out of state" term.

The proper term is, actually, Buffalo-style chicken wings. "Buffalo wings" is just short for that. The reason why they refer to Buffalo wings as that is because they are cooked in a special type of sauce that originated from that city. It's composed of cayenne pepper sauce, white vinegar, garlic, butter, and salt.

Naturally, if you are actually in Buffalo, you might as well assume they are going to cook chicken wings that way.

TinSoldier
2006-05-04, 04:13 PM
I just call 'em "Hot Wings". And I make them with Frank's RedHot hot sauce.

Sebastian
2006-05-04, 04:20 PM
Belkar should be more careful, if that plate had hit the waitress, that would be enough to activate the mark of justice.

TinSoldier
2006-05-04, 04:27 PM
Belkar should be more careful, if that plate had hit the waitress, that would be enough to activate the mark of justice.Would that have been lethal or non-lethal damage?

It's only activated if he causes lethal damage to any living creature (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=295) within the bounds of a city, town, or village.

WNxArrakis
2006-05-04, 04:35 PM
just noticed the "nice dodge" "ninja" thing.. very nice.

Arrakis

Truthseeker
2006-05-04, 05:15 PM
Apropos of nothing, but while it makes for a pretty good gag, having grown up and lived in Buffalo (home of the chicken wing) my whole life, I absolutely BRISTLE at people referring to them as "Buffalo wings." I know, I know... nobody who doesn't come from Buffalo will care, but for us, it's like sacrilege. They're "chicken wings," people, not "buffalo wings." Fix your menus!

Except... y'know, outside of Buffalo, where there are actually other ways in which chicken wings might be prepared and presented. I understand they actually do not come off the bird that way. ;)

Buf-fa-lo wings. Anyone who says differently is just monumentally outvoted. :D

Belkar's Mark of Justice sort of reminds me of Spike's chip (Buffy). Seems similarly selective in its reasoning. Belkar must've known he couldn't touch the ninja-waitress, so no... okay, okay, sorry.

Evik
2006-05-04, 05:26 PM
Ha i always knew Belkar would be a restuarants worst nightmare...hope they eave a good tip!....i know i would want any of Belkar's meal after it comes back from the kitchen LOL

and great last panel ;D

Tyrasius
2006-05-04, 06:45 PM
Read the first panel in the bottom row of page 23a just one more time. If you still don't see it, then... man, I can't help ya.

I didn't even think of that until Hoseki pointed it out. This might not even be a deliberate reference to that, but even if not: Heh! Funny.

Ohhhh now I get it. I was more focused on the Shroudingers ninja one, and didn't notice Roy's ninja school comment. Welll that got a chuckle out of me.

Kobalt_Thunderfoot
2006-05-04, 08:41 PM
Oh man. So late on the new comic. This one was classic.

"Nice Dodge!"
"Ninja school"

ElfLad
2006-05-04, 10:05 PM
Is the "Ninja" line a reference to Adventurers! (http://www.adventurers-comic.com/d/20040527.html) or they both references to something else or is it just a coincidence?

BlythraB
2006-05-04, 10:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=246
I think the "Laws of Comedic Physics" got Belkar
(the buffalo, not the ninja)

Ted_Stryker
2006-05-05, 04:40 AM
Also reminds me of http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=42
Also note that the waitress's apron has a ninja sash holding it up, instead of the skinny strings that the waiter next to her had.

JazzManJim
2006-05-05, 09:38 AM
Just wondering here, but isn't Belkar supposed to stay cloaked while he's in the city?

I figure he can't stay stilted while he's in the restaurant, but maybe V and Durkon could have slipped in a couple books under his seat so he wouldn't look like the halfling that murdered a guard and is supposed to be in jail and all.

themunck
2006-05-05, 11:36 AM
Miko walkes in on Belkar, new that he dosen't have his disquise on

EDIT: HOW CAN I MISSPEL "SPOILER"?!?

TinSoldier
2006-05-05, 11:43 AM
EDIT: HOW CAN I MISSPEL "SPOILER"?!?The same way you can misspell misspell.

Valdis22
2006-05-05, 12:14 PM
HaHaHaHa.......Ninja Waitress

Great strip Giant as always

spectralphoenix
2006-05-05, 01:40 PM
It's probably just as well they didn't get into a really nice restaraunt...

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-05, 03:15 PM
Is the "Ninja" line a reference to Adventurers! (http://www.adventurers-comic.com/d/20040527.html) or they both references to something else or is it just a coincidence?

I think it's just a coincidence, but you win for reading Adventurers!

"I was in a ninja marching band...we'd sneak onto rooftops and perform in the dead of night. By the time anyone realized there'd been a parade, we were already gone..."

BlythraB
2006-05-05, 05:33 PM
*A la Kirk yelling "Kaaaahn!"
hooray! another admitted trekie!

Bilbo27
2006-05-05, 05:58 PM
TGI Wed, with an almost exact color scheme, nice.
Ninja waiter was a nice touch, and nice dodge--hee hee
bummed about the 2 strips though.

BlythraB
2006-05-05, 06:29 PM
The same way you can misspell misspell.
and walks and diguise, but it's okay. I've known people who make much graver misspellings

RBloom0566
2006-05-05, 09:00 PM
Same way you misspelled 'walks,' ' now,' and 'misspell.'

Miko walkes in on Belkar, new that he dosen't have his disquise on

EDIT: HOW CAN I MISSPEL "SPOILER"?!?

luilupino
2006-05-05, 10:09 PM
I can't tell what are the others eating...
I think its just a salad for V
but durkon ???

CelestialStick
2006-05-05, 10:16 PM
hooray! another admitted trekie!

I've been an avid fan of Star Trek since the very first season back in 1966! :)

Serraco
2006-05-06, 10:13 AM
but durkon ???

My best guess is that it's some sort of marinaded chicken / chicken in some sort of sauce over rice. It seems a bit too light to be beef to me, but that's just my two copper pieces.

With V... ... it does seem to be a salad of sorts.

Renrik
2006-05-06, 10:23 AM
looks like mashed potatos, pork, and lettuce

Illsbane
2006-05-06, 10:43 AM
Heh. ^^ The winged buffalos remind me of those prehistoric, rhonoceros-like creatures from the movie Ice Age.

Krytha
2006-05-06, 06:54 PM
I wonder if the buffalos will order Halfling Drop Soup after this...

Taren
2006-05-06, 09:02 PM
What? NO! Giant, you FOOL! Doesn't anyone else see it?

That girl Belkar threw his chicken thighs at...

She's a Ninja Schoolgirl Waitress! She'll doom us all!

Our only hope is to each buy all 27 of the DVDs of her Japanese television show before she destroys us with her buffelo-flavored shuriken.... I pray I have the cash for salvation.

bluish_wolf
2006-05-06, 09:07 PM
What? NO! Giant, you FOOL! Doesn't anyone else see it?

That girl Belkar threw his chicken thighs at...

She's a Ninja Schoolgirl Waitress! She'll doom us all!

Our only hope is to each buy all 27 of the DVDs of her Japanese television show before she destroys us with her buffelo-flavored shuriken.... I pray I have the cash for salvation.

I usually consider myself well-versed in animé series, but I have no clue what you are talking about. Seriously. [Edit] Err... I just assumed it was animated. Might not be. I forgot they actually have live-action stuff over there, too. Either way, I don't know what you are talking about.

Taren
2006-05-06, 09:23 PM
It wasn't so much a joke about a REAL anime as it was a job about the occasionally inane situations of magical girl animes in particular... I don't think there is an anime about a ninja schoolgirl waitress. Although I think I'd find it really amusing if there was.

Heh...maybe Giant could make a side story about her in one of his next collections of OOTS! ;)

CelestialStick
2006-05-07, 12:27 AM
but durkon ???

V's does look like a leafy green salad. Durkon's looks like pork over rice with a little side of green lettuce. Darn, now I'm hungry!

Borbarad
2006-05-07, 09:00 AM

I personally think they both reference to the simple fact Ninjas are absolutetly great. I think this link (http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm) could help to understand. By the way, that is not my opinion, it is just somewhat a legend Ninjas are the greatest livings (and Chuck Norris).

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-05-07, 11:52 AM
Heh...maybe Giant could make a side story about her in one of his next collections of OOTS! ;)

-Yes-

Veg Sorbet
2006-05-07, 12:38 PM
I personally think they both reference to the simple fact Ninjas are absolutetly great. I think this link (http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm) could help to understand. By the way, that is not my opinion, it is just somewhat a legend Ninjas are the greatest livings (and Chuck Norris).

First thing I thought of was this (http://www.giantitp.com/camp0001.html) from Rich's "campaigns" page.

Loved the buffalo.

terrainmonkey
2006-05-07, 02:32 PM
Katsumi--Ninja Schoolgirl Waitress!

by day, a mild mannered TGIW waitress, using the money to put herself through school, but by night, she's a deadly assassin with a heart of steel. And this week is finals...

Taren
2006-05-07, 03:21 PM
Katsumi--Ninja Schoolgirl Waitress!

by day, a mild mannered TGIW waitress, using the money to put herself through school, but by night, she's a deadly assassin with a heart of steel. And this week is finals...

Terrainmonkey? Though I am not familiar with you in any way, I officially proclaim this to be the greatest thing you have ever said. Ever.

Anyway, when Belkar wakes up with his head impaled on a buffelo-flavored Kunai, he'll think twice about mocking a ninja...

ZacK88
2006-05-07, 03:33 PM
LOL!!

I'm still wondering what V wanted to say, before so rudly interupted..

Nazzo, the 102nd
2006-05-07, 10:25 PM
First thing I thought of was this (http://www.giantitp.com/camp0001.html) from Rich's "campaigns" page.

Oh my. This is perfect. Never look at the Campaigns page before. Think I should check it more often, as I am a double DM (that is, DMing two campaigns simultaneously).

CelestialStick
2006-05-08, 07:03 AM
When I first saw the two buffaloes I assumed they were husband and wife. I just noticed, however, that they both have horns. I don't think that female buffalo have horns. What did other people think--husband and wife? Two friends? What?

Holy_Knight
2006-05-09, 11:24 PM
When I first saw the two buffaloes I assumed they were husband and wife. I just noticed, however, that they both have horns. I don't think that female buffalo have horns. What did other people think--husband and wife? Two friends? What?
Don't they? Female cows have horns, so I would think buffaloes would too, although I'm not positive. And I also thought it was a husband and wife.

Gary_Howard
2006-05-10, 01:50 AM
They're.. like dwarves. Some DMs rule that the females have beards, some rule that they don't. So I guess only the DM knows what that buffalo is.

Also, how on earth do THOSE wings support that weight?

CelestialStick
2006-05-10, 07:28 AM
Don't they? Female cows have horns, so I would think buffaloes would too, although I'm not positive. And I also thought it was a husband and wife.

Are you sure about female cattle having horns? I didn't think so, but you may be right.

CelestialStick
2006-05-10, 07:30 AM
They're.. like dwarves. Some DMs rule that the females have beards, some rule that they don't. So I guess only the DM knows what that buffalo is.

I don't know where that goofy "female dwarves have beards" nonsense started.

Also, how on earth do THOSE wings support that weight?

It's magic! ;D

LostInBrittany
2006-05-10, 08:16 AM
Are you sure about female cattle having horns? I didn't think so, but you may be right.

Female cows have horns... at least European ones :D

TinSoldier
2006-05-10, 10:34 AM
Some breeds of cattle have horns, some don't. Some are limited to just the males or females.

A quick search reveals that in Bison, both sexes have horns.

TinSoldier -- All hat, no cattle.

Holy_Knight
2006-05-10, 09:31 PM
Some breeds of cattle have horns, some don't. Some are limited to just the males or females.

A quick search reveals that in Bison, both sexes have horns.

TinSoldier -- All hat, no cattle.
Huh...

Well, Gladys the Cow (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jedidjah.dds.nl/Alphabet/SesameG/GladysTheCow.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameG/GladysTheCow.html&h=218&w=353&sz=50&tbnid=i9vxcGTl yPfVuM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGladys%2Bthe%2Bcow%26svnum%3D10%26hl% 3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG) has horns, and that's all that matters. :D

CelestialStick
2006-05-11, 05:47 AM
Huh...

Well, Gladys the Cow (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jedidjah.dds.nl/Alphabet/SesameG/GladysTheCow.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameG/GladysTheCow.html&h=218&w=353&sz=50&tbnid=i9vxcGTl yPfVuM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGladys%2Bthe%2Bcow%26svnum%3D10%26hl% 3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG) has horns, and that's all that matters. :D

Ah, well that explains why I don't know. I grew up in Chicago, and there weren't many cows around, and by the time Seasame Street came along to educate city kids about cows, I'd already gotten too old for the show. ;D