PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun: The Pinball Wizard! How would you do it?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-09-14, 08:49 PM
Exactly what it says on the label: How would you create a "Pinball Wizard" for 5E?

Which Arcane Tradition would you choose? Which spells? Would you multiclass? Is there a particular race you consider appropriate for this?

Or maybe it's not actually a Wizard at all; is your ideal "pinball wizard" some other class entirely? Which one, and how would you do it?

Knaight
2018-09-14, 08:56 PM
You just need to be a deaf, dumb, blind kid who plays Pinball well. So, rogue/bard, tool proficiency Pinball Machine, expertise on that same tool proficiency.

Kane0
2018-09-14, 09:06 PM
Abjurer, Elemental Shield, Mobile feat. Maybe charger feat and booming blade if you like too. Wood elf for an extra touch of movement, shield and absorb elements to live longer.

Run in straight lines, bump into enemies and attack, soak up their attack (which hurts them) and run off towards something else.

Flaming sphere is an obvious pick too.

nickl_2000
2018-09-14, 09:24 PM
Actually, I have a homebrew subclass running through my mind right now, since you mentioned that in the other post.

Some abilities I can think of
Rebounding shot - when you attempt to hit with a ranged spell attack and miss, you can use your bonus action to have it rebound off of them and hit someone else. Make a spell attack against another target within 10 feet to have the spell got them instead. Can use it only a certain amount of times.

The capstone is Replay- When you can a spell of level 5 or lower, you can use this special ability to cast it again as a bonus action. The ability allow a second casting on a single turn even though other rules say no. Can do it once per long rest.

I'm trying to think of other appropiate skills/ abilities. Giving blindsight seems like a possibility.

Eragon123
2018-09-14, 11:15 PM
Otiliuke’s Resilient Sphere seems to be a must.
Blindness/Deafness.
Any of the touch spells.
Skill empowerment.
Melf’s Minute Meteors
Crown of Stars
Some of the wall spells.
Chain Lightning.
Catapult.
Mind Spike. (Once you hit the “ball” you can keep track of it easier)
True seeing

As for which wizard.

War wizard for the little arcane surges is tempting.
Conjuration so you can make your own pinball machine on breaks.
Divination for “seeing” the ball.

Kane0
2018-09-15, 12:33 AM
Telekinesis or bigbys hand for theowing around the resilient sphere?

Eragon123
2018-09-15, 11:11 AM
Telekinesis or bigbys hand for theowing around the resilient sphere?

And thunderwave on other players could be fun. (or thunderwave on clone/simulacrum at higher levels)

Treantmonk
2018-09-15, 11:27 AM
His party includes a Respected Cleric who teaches him the Mirror Image spell. When the images are destroyed, he regains his sight, hearing and voice and multiclasses into Cleric. He is a Sensation as a Cleric, gaining many followers, who eventually abandon him.

nickl_2000
2018-09-15, 12:05 PM
His party includes a Respected Cleric who teaches him the Mirror Image spell. When the images are destroyed, he regains his sight, hearing and voice and multiclasses into Cleric. He is a Sensation as a Cleric, gaining many followers, who eventually abandon him.

Before that he has a near miss experience with some gypsies.

I would say he becomes a bard after regaining sight, or at least as a cleric he needs to be proficient in perform.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 08:08 AM
Because I wanted to.

Homebrew Arcane Tradition - Pinball Wizard

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?569276-Arcane-Tradition-Pinball-Wizard-PEACH

solidork
2018-09-17, 10:00 AM
You can definitely do stuff with spell effects, making the visuals and sounds similar to what you'd get from a pinball machine.

Also, Chaos Bolt is the most pinbally spell around imo.

Eragon123
2018-09-17, 10:04 AM
You can definitely do stuff with spell effects, making the visuals and sounds similar to what you'd get from a pinball machine.

While I agree about Chaos Bolt, don't you dare try to steal the one and only sorcerer exclusive spell and give it to the wizard!

Sorcerers have so little...

Joe the Rat
2018-09-17, 03:07 PM
Could you use Sorcerer as a foundation instead?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-09-17, 03:32 PM

While I agree about Chaos Bolt, don't you dare try to steal the one and only sorcerer exclusive spell and give it to the wizard!

Sorcerers have so little...

Could you use Sorcerer as a foundation instead?

Chaos Bolt is indeed an excellent choice, and I see no reason not to use Sorcerer as the basis for a Pinball Wizard character. Multi classing would work, too.