PDA

View Full Version : How would you simulate a Shadowcraft Mage in 5e

Wasp
2018-09-15, 04:00 AM
Hi everyone

I know the Shadowcraft Mage was broken in 3.5 but I really liked the flavor of the Gnome Illusionist that uses silent Shadow Illusions to mimic conjuration and evocation spells.

How would you "simulate" or "mimic" the flavor if not the mechanics of the Shadowcraft Mage in 5e?

Kadesh
2018-09-15, 04:39 AM
Short story short, there isn't one, because what was iconic about it was the ability to eventually and potentially deal more damage when someone believes an illusion.

There isn't the shadow evocation/conjuration spells any more.

The nearest available is the Phantasmal Force spell for creating an Illusion which ends up dealing damage.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-15, 05:36 AM
I think the illusory reality ability of illusionists may fall into this too right?

Kadesh
2018-09-15, 06:42 AM
Right: found the book

Cloak of Shadows: in darkness, gain a 40% Miss Chance that can be pierced by seeing in magical darkness - Warlock 2 for Devil's Sight, cast Darkness on Self.

Silent Illusion: cast Illusions without a verbal component: Sorcerer 3, Subtle Spell metamagic

Shadow Illusion: impossible to recreate. Thematically, Wizard 14 Illusion School can make real objects from illusion spells.

Extended Illusion: Sorcerer 3, Extend Spell Metamagic

Powerful Shadow Magic: Impossible to recreate, Sorcerer 3 Expanded can get Heighten to make your Illusion Spells more likely to work or it can take Empowered to reroll damage if you do low damage.

Dalebert
2018-09-15, 08:45 AM
I'm not familiar with most of this but I can take a stab just from context.

Cloak of Shadows: in darkness, gain a 40% Miss Chance that can be pierced by seeing in magical darkness - Warlock 2 for Devil's Sight, cast Darkness on Self.

Or the Blur spell reflavored.

Silent Illusion: cast Illusions without a verbal component: Sorcerer 3, Subtle Spell metamagic

Or an illusionist can create a permanent illusion and keep it with them. Use an action to change it into whatever they want without any components.

Shadow Illusion: impossible to recreate. Thematically, Wizard 14 Illusion School can make real objects from illusion spells.

Or the Creation spell. An illusionist can turn it into whatever they want at any time throughout the duration.