PDA

View Full Version : Fighter champion / warlock build

sleepingman
2018-09-15, 07:20 AM
Hi, first campaign player here (one year so far) and i want to multi-class warlock.

I'm a half-elf two weapon champion fighter at lv4 with the following sats:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 16

The DM grant us a feat and i took blade mastery.

So... For the real question..... Im aiming for a charming, deceiving character but i realised that i want a little more in combat and liked the patron idea because it blends well in my background story. Im not looking for purely the strongest build but would appreciate more experienced opinions about how to go from here.

Thanks in advance :)

Kadesh
2018-09-15, 07:59 AM
You'll need War Caster to cast any Somatic spells in combat with two weapons, but this will give you Advantage to maintain Hex.

My advice would be to get Extra Attack at 5th, and then take Warlock after, this way you can put out 3 attacks with potential for extra damage bonuses.

Mikal
2018-09-15, 08:29 AM
I’d start with warlock, and drop your strength to 8. Go Hexblade, and make yourself charisma dependent.

Once you hit Hexblade 3, then start doing fighter. Also if you’re allowed ua stuff I’d consider brute over champion. If you’re going to go with a boring fighter subclass, go with the one that provides bonus damage and makes your two weapon fighting better.

sleepingman
2018-09-15, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, i was going to dip warlock at lv 5 (fighter 4/warlock 1) and then go back to get the extra attack.... Still thinking on that one....

The character is already build so i can't change the stats.

Regarding the patron, im inclined to the raven queen but would love some insight about all

Kadesh
2018-09-15, 08:53 AM
If you are a Fighter, you are going to want to be dropping foes: Fiend gives you benefits to when you do it (Temp HP), while Hexblade gives you the ability to put Prof to damage on a single target per short rest, so it depends on what your DM typically has you face or what roll you fulfil in a party: if you're meant to be the parties anti horde, Fiend is better, but if the party otherwise has it covered and/or you need to deal more damage against Boss Monsters, tapping into Hexblade is pretty good.

Hexblade's however has the 19-20 Crits which do not mesh with Champion, so that is a slight wasted potential however, and neither do you need the Cha Weapon abilities unless you can pick up a Cloak of 19 Cha soon.

Fey gives you the ability to get out of dodge.

That said, I think Raven Queen is perfectly fine option.

As a Champion fighter, you are all about Crit Fishing and thus Advantage rerolls and making the most attacks you can help in everyway, and so Eldritch Smite is pretty much essential to capitalise on that for the additional damage.

Damon_Tor
2018-09-15, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, i was going to dip warlock at lv 5 (fighter 4/warlock 1) and then go back to get the extra attack.... Still thinking on that one....

The character is already build so i can't change the stats.

Regarding the patron, im inclined to the raven queen but would love some insight about all

Have you consider dipping sorcerer instead? There's less lore baggage, and it provides metamagic, which means you can cast spells as a minor action, so you can freely use your regular action for your fighter's multiple attacks.

dmteeter
2018-09-15, 10:23 AM
I'd go 5 in fighter to get extra attack and then dip in to warlock.
maybe take like 5 in warlock and finish off fighter in the long run that way you still get to benefit from more extra attacks.

sleepingman
2018-09-15, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Im going to dip warlock after 5 lv and go for the raven queen (i like the raven spirit :P)

I thought about sorcerer but i don't want a heavy spell character, i want a little more options if im far and maybe some self spells /clutch times.

My DM favors a more mob type encounters(so far at least).

For the pact... Tome or blade, chain doesn't synergies well with the raven queen.

I love the tome pact just for the option of vicious mockery :D.

Besides the pact... I'm really confused about the eldritch evocations to choose later on

djreynolds
2018-09-15, 11:18 AM
Have you consider dipping sorcerer instead? There's less lore baggage, and it provides metamagic, which means you can cast spells as a minor action, so you can freely use your regular action for your fighter's multiple attacks.

Sorcerer with action surge and meta magic is quite nasty.

Also, do not forget about paladin dip... even 2 levels