PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E magic class for Illithid char?

FoIded_Phoenix
2018-09-15, 08:35 AM
exactly what I said, looking for a magic class for an illithid character.

LibraryOgre
2018-09-15, 08:51 AM
Well, there's the obvious question: What's wrong with Wizard?

FoIded_Phoenix
2018-09-15, 08:55 AM
true, also just before looking at that I noticed the Illithid body tamer...
looking through it right now.

OgresAreCute
2018-09-15, 08:56 AM
Obligatory "Illithid Savant from Savage Species; eat a wizard" post.

FoIded_Phoenix
2018-09-15, 08:56 AM
just realized its a prestige class.
cant post this b/c I have to wait 60 seconds between posts.....

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 09:01 AM
Psionic illithids from the Expanded Psionics Handbook manifest as 9th level telepaths instead of using SLAs, so more levels of telepath (or any manifesting PrC they qualify for) would stack, which is far better than using a spellcasting class on a MMI illithid, which wouldn't stack.

FoIded_Phoenix
2018-09-15, 09:52 AM
I've decided to settle for starting as a Soulknife.
probably might still prestige into Illithid Body Tamer though.

Falontani
2018-09-15, 02:26 PM
throw a psion level on there, a couple wizard levels, and then cerebremancer!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 02:59 PM
throw a psion level on there, a couple wizard levels, and then cerebremancer!Psillithids already have telepath MLs, so wiz 1 with Precocious Apprentice and cerebremancer advancing racial manifesting could do.

liquidformat
2018-09-15, 03:13 PM
*shudder* Soulknife *shudder*

Body tamer isn't a great idea for illithid since they aren't a melee character. Go for Illithid Savant, it is one of the most powerful classes in the game for a reason...

Falontani
2018-09-16, 09:31 AM
Psillithids already have telepath MLs, so wiz 1 with Precocious Apprentice and cerebremancer advancing racial manifesting could do.

don't you need to have at least 1 level of the class for prestige classes to actually progress? Like Rhakshasa has sorcerer spellcasting, but you can't progress your sorcerer casting with prestige classes until you have 1 level of sorcerer

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-16, 09:42 AM
don't you need to have at least 1 level of the class for prestige classes to actually progress? Like Rhakshasa has sorcerer spellcasting, but you can't progress your sorcerer casting with prestige classes until you have 1 level of sorcererRacial class HD are a thing, and if your race gives you manifester levels, a manifester level class should work. If nothing else, take one level of telepath (which stacks with your racial levels) and progress that.

Troacctid
2018-09-16, 09:44 AM
I've decided to settle for starting as a Soulknife.
probably might still prestige into Illithid Body Tamer though.
Soulknife is hardly a magic class.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-16, 09:49 AM
Take a level in psychic warrior with the soulbound weapon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) ACF, take Expanded Knowledge to add call weaponry to your racial telepath list, then take a level in telepath (if needed) and PrC out from there. All the goodness that is soulknife and far, far, far, far, far more.