PDA

View Full Version : minor build question: one feat slot open

Particle_Man
2018-09-15, 09:31 AM
I have an idea for a 3.5 crusader. I think the feats would go: Extra Granted Maneuver (H), Extra study (a desert fire boost, probably the flanking one) (1), Extra Stance (flame's blessing) (3), ????? (6), Extra study (shadow stride) (9), extra stance (dance of the spider) (12), extra study (diamond defense) (15), extra stance (immortal fortitude) (18).

The crusader will be LG (I really want aura of perfect order) so multiclassing into bard for the white raven song feat is out.

So what do you think that should I take for the 6th level feat? Or should I just be a non-human race instead?

Kayblis
2018-09-15, 10:05 AM
Instead of using all your feats to get a couple maneuvers from other schools, why not take a single level in either Swordsage or Warblade? You'll get many maneuvers at a time and they won't consume your already restricted Crusader maneuvers. Think about it, you're spending 3 feats in maneuvers when you can only have 5 to 7 in your rotation, so you're mostly not using the Crusader's main thing. You also spend 3 feats in Stances, when you can only have one active at a time.

Use your feats better. Pick a level of Warblade/Swordsage maybe at 5 or 9, or pick a PrC that advances Initiator level - those advance all your initiator classes together, so a "Crusader 4/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 5" has Crusader ilvl 9 and Warblade ilvl8.

You seem to have chosen only maneuvers without prereqs, and that's good. But, imagine how it'll play at high level - you only get a couple maneuvers, and most of them are counters or boosts that supplement your style, but you don't have a style. You don't have a Trip build or a lockdown method or a supporting set, and just relying on the extra damage from maneuvers(of which you have very few, if any) isn't going to keep you safe at high levels. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, I'm just saying you need more of an identity and be able to say "my character is really good at doing X".

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-09-15, 10:17 AM
Dip Swordsage/Warblade instead, and spend those feats qualifying for Master of Nine. You can even do the Idiot Crusader trick with that.

Rijan_Sai
2018-09-15, 01:36 PM
Also, I would mention that Aura of Perfect Order does not require a Lawful alignment, so you could take it as a Bard without any problem, barring DM fiat.

And yes, dip Swordsage for the Desert Wind maneuvers (and anything else not Iron Heart.)