PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - How to get a familiar with the "sending" spell?

Lehrling
2018-09-15, 11:59 AM
Backstory: I am playing a Kensai/Bladebound Magus.
I have flavored this around being a Soul Reaper from the Manga/Anime 'Bleach' (The blackblade is my zanpakuto, spells are Kido, Bladed Dash is Shunpo, Black Blade Strike + Enhancement bonuses are its Shikai, etc.).
I'm getting away with this by having the character be possibly deluded, having acquired his powers after being released from an Asylum and being hit on the head during an attack.

To really drive the character theme home, I'd like to *EDIT* get a spell/ability/item like "Sending", which allows me to communicate with people across decently large distances (a city or two), with enough wiggle room to comfortably theme it as a butterfly?

Geddy2112
2018-09-15, 12:07 PM
It is a late game option, but the magus arcana spell blending (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo-magus-arcana/spell-blending-ex) would allow you to get sending on your spell list. At 19th level, you can add sending to your spell list as well.

When using sending, I see absolutely zero reason you can't reskin your messages to appear like hell butterflies or really however you want. It is just imagery and fluff that has no meaningful impact on the game.

RAW, you can't have a familiar of any kind with the bladebound archetype. Your sword is your familiar.

Lehrling
2018-09-15, 12:11 PM
When using sending, I see absolutely zero reason you can't reskin your messages to appear like hell butterflies or really however you want. It is just imagery and fluff that has no meaningful impact on the game.

I rather like the imagery of having the butterfly floating around me constantly, even when not in use though. EDIT: It's also a bit late game, for sure, so I'm still looking.
But good point, I didn't think of that. I'll discuss with my GM.

RAW, you can't have a familiar of any kind with the bladebound archetype. Your sword is your familiar.

Really? Where does it say that? :o

Feantar
2018-09-15, 05:43 PM
There's a feat for making your spells have a theme; it's 3.5 though. It's Spell Thematics.

Daefos
2018-09-15, 06:09 PM
Really? Where does it say that? :o

In the very first paragraph of the archetype.

A magus with this class feature cannot take the familiar magus arcana, and cannot have a familiar of any kind, even from another class.

Lehrling
2018-09-15, 08:00 PM
In the very first paragraph of the archetype.

Right you are. I'll edit my OP with my new request.

In that case, does anyone know of a way for me to get a spell/ability/item like "Sending", which allows me to communicate with people across decently large distances (a city or two), with enough wiggle room to comfortably theme it as a butterfly?

Yanisa
2018-09-16, 02:03 AM
Right you are. I'll edit my OP with my new request.

In that case, does anyone know of a way for me to get a spell/ability/item like "Sending", which allows me to communicate with people across decently large distances (a city or two), with enough wiggle room to comfortably theme it as a butterfly?

Closest I can find is the Obsidian Raven (http://www.aonprd.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Figurine%20of% 20Wondrous%20PowerObsidian%20Raven) (A Figurine of Wondrous Power). It's bird that can deliver a message once per day and planeshift the receiver. Also it can act as a normal bird 24 hours per week. You could refluff it as a butterfly and you are pretty close.

You can also ask to allow a custom slotless magic item, like a ioun stone in the shape of a butterfly, but because sending is a level 5 spell it gets expensive. I get 32k for 1/day sending, but seeing as the bird is 15k, you can argue the price should be lower.

Andor13
2018-09-20, 10:49 AM
I see absolutely no reason you couldn't have a custom spell which just reskins Sending to manifest as a butterfly.

Or hire/summon/henchman an Imp/Qusit, tell it to turn into a butterfly, give it a messenger cap, and tell it to make your dinner reservations at that hot new restaurant.

As for Butterflies flying around you, cast an illusion on an ioun stone and call it a day.