PDA

View Full Version : Weapons that Take Up Body Slots

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 05:05 PM
Most weapons are held in the hands, but there are a few that actually take up a body slot. There are probably all sorts of uses for this, but I can only think of a few, such as having a warning/eager/smoking weapon on at all times, even while your hands are empty, or having sizing and morphing on, enhancing (say) a gnome battle cloak as a starmantle cloak and turning it into a poison ring to wear on a finger while still maintaining the same enhancements, or doing the same with a horned helm that doubles as a headband of Int that turns into a gauntlet. Oh, and altering a slot also helps free up chakra binds for incarnum users, but that's more an extension of the above than anything.

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Hands: Gauntlets (PHB)
Shoulders: Gnome battle cloak (Races of Stone)
Body (Armor): Armor spikes (PHB)
Ring: Poison ring (Dragon Compendium)
Crown: Horned helm (MIC)
Throat: Necklace of natural weapons (Savage Species)
Feet: Footbow (Races of the Wild)
Tail: Tail club/tail scythe (Savage Species/Serpent Kingdoms)*

As a special note, the ioun blade property (A&EG) allows you to slot an ioun stone in the above weapons. The ringsword enhancement (also A&EG) allows you to daisy-chain multiple weapons-turned-poison-rings together until you run out of rings.

Can anyone think of anything else that takes up a regular body slot but counts as a weapon? Maybe some more uses for these slotted items?

*Note, not a body slotted item, exactly; instead, it's a slotless item that goes on the tail. Or it inhabits the tail "slot," even though that's not technically a thing.

PunBlake
2018-09-15, 05:38 PM
There are also the surprise / hidden weapons in CSco. They don't take up a slot, but are move-action activation spring-loaded weapons that don't use hands to wield and explicitly can be enhanced.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 07:44 PM
There are also the surprise / hidden weapons in CSco. They don't take up a slot, but are move-action activation spring-loaded weapons that don't use hands to wield and explicitly can be enhanced.Those are extremely useful, yeah. There are a lot fewer tricks for them than there are for a cloak or a helmet or a necklace, though. A cloak gauntlet of Cha is extremely useful for a sorcerer or bard, since they hardly have anything to go in the hands slot except the arcanist gloves, which are cheap enough to add to a pair of gauntlets with no issues.

liquidformat
2018-09-15, 08:34 PM
Blade Boot (boot)- Forgotten realms campaign setting
Stump knife (replaces hand?) - A&EG
MouthpickWeapon (Bite) - Lords of Madness
Battle Gauntlet (hand) - Races of Faerun
Horned helmet & Spiked Helamet (Crown) - Races of Faerun
Bladed gauntlet (hand) - A&EG
claw bracer (arm) - A&EG
dwarven buckler axe (Shield/arm?) - RoS
springloaded gauntlet (hand) - A&EG
ward cestus (hand) - A&EG
Fukimi-Bari(mouth) - A&EG
Tiger Claws(Hand?) - A&EG

that is all I can remember for now I think there are more tail weapons but can't find them

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-18, 01:31 AM
Not entirely sure about this one, but both a psychoactive skin of proteus and a skin of the claw allow for natural weapons, and they take up the psychoactive skin "slot."

ShurikVch
2018-09-18, 02:42 PM
Claw Gloves - from the Garb of the Hunting Cat item set (Magic Item Compendium)