PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Warlock to PF: What are the critical feats/PrCs/etc?

RedWarlock
2018-09-15, 06:17 PM
My GM runs a fairly strict Paizo-only PF game, at least provisionally. (He apparently adds in 3rd party content as bonuses.) After a disappointing run with a Kineticist, he gave me the go ahead to run a Warlock from Complete Arcane.

I want to try to collect all the vital components from 3.5e, including prestige classes and relevant feats, and put it together into a single PF-style class. I want to do the common reinterpretation and add different pacts (like 4e/5e) as bloodline-style class features, and generally fold the various prestige class features that are common in 3.5 into selectable class features/invocations, like turn Hellfire Warlock into an essence, and Dragonfire Adept into either a dragon pact, or an archetype, or both (I’m thinking a ‘dragon pact’, as well as a more full-featured DFA archetype.) Likewise, fold Hexblade in as an archetype ala 4e.

Edit: And, yes, I know there've been a few other such attempts, but none of them really hit me as capturing what I enjoyed of the 3.5 warlock. I'm NOT adding daily spell slots, for one thing. I want to keep to the at-will invocations. Feel free to suggest good adaptations and their best parts, but I want to do this myself to hit the flavor I like.

So, mechanically, it would be 90% 3.5e Warlock/DFA, with little touches of 4e/5e, structured to fit into a PF game. What are the vital components there?

Troacctid
2018-09-15, 08:12 PM
Well...there are a lot of feats that are good for Warlocks, but that's not the same as being critical for Warlocks. Extra Invocation is probably the biggest one; Eldritch Claws and Grappling Blast are notable as well. Also Obtain Familiar, but Pathfinder already has that. I guess I can give you my list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZqsXKR9O0Ou9-q8o0iR16geBwgw1wJSi6uMMQ5LUQH8/edit#gid=0). Are you including epic material? (Or mythic, or whatever PF calls it.) There's a lot of good Epic stuff for 'locks.

For prestige classes, there are some Warlock-specific ones of note: Demonbinder, Enlightened Spirit, Arachnomancer, Eldritch Disciple, Eldritch Theurge, Hellfire Warlock, Enlightened Fist, and Paragnostic Apostle. Also some others that are decent for Warlocks but not made for Warlocks, like Urban Savant, Sentinel of Bharrai, Unseen Seer, Halfling Whistler, Mindbender, Virtuoso, Knight Phantom...

RedWarlock
2018-09-15, 08:29 PM
Well...there are a lot of feats that are good for Warlocks, but that's not the same as being critical for Warlocks. Extra Invocation is probably the biggest one; Eldritch Claws and Grappling Blast are notable as well. Also Obtain Familiar, but Pathfinder already has that. I guess I can give you my list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZqsXKR9O0Ou9-q8o0iR16geBwgw1wJSi6uMMQ5LUQH8/edit#gid=0). Are you including epic material? (Or mythic, or whatever PF calls it.) There's a lot of good Epic stuff for 'locks.

For prestige classes, there are some Warlock-specific ones of note: Demonbinder, Enlightened Spirit, Arachnomancer, Eldritch Disciple, Eldritch Theurge, Hellfire Warlock, Enlightened Fist, and Paragnostic Apostle. Also some others that are decent for Warlocks but not made for Warlocks, like Urban Savant, Sentinel of Bharrai, Unseen Seer, Halfling Whistler, Mindbender, Virtuoso, Knight Phantom...

Well, by critical, I meant more in the line of "provides a more well-rounded range of mechanical options" as opposed to simply "what's optimal". In fact, the less-optimal but flavorful options are ones I would tweak upwards a bit. Likewise, options that are seen as "must-have" would probably get nerfed a little bit to bring them more in line with the average. The point of this being to present to a semi-cautious DM as a single-source document of Warlock-ness.

Manyasone
2018-09-16, 08:28 AM
If the dm adds 3rd party PF, why not ask him if you can play a spheres of power elementalist. It's very warlock like and you don't have to jump hoops in conversion. The spheres wiki is a very good srd as well

Troacctid
2018-09-16, 09:01 AM
Well, by critical, I meant more in the line of "provides a more well-rounded range of mechanical options" as opposed to simply "what's optimal". In fact, the less-optimal but flavorful options are ones I would tweak upwards a bit. Likewise, options that are seen as "must-have" would probably get nerfed a little bit to bring them more in line with the average. The point of this being to present to a semi-cautious DM as a single-source document of Warlock-ness.
In that case, add the affinity line of feats from the Class Chronicles web articles to that list.