PDA

View Full Version : What does divine spell power actually do

Skullruss
2018-09-15, 10:01 PM
I have no clue what the feat, divine spell power, does. The wording is mega confusing I just want a quick ELI5.

AnimeTheCat
2018-09-15, 10:12 PM
Ok, so it's a simple caster level booster.

As a free action roll a turn undead check. This is referenced either at this link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#t) or on page 159 of the players handbook. To determine you bonus, or potentially your penalty, to your caster level, you have to refer to table 8-9:Turning Undead. Depending on your dice roll and resulting turn check total, you gain the listed modifier to your caster level on the next spell you cast or until the round is over, whichever comes first.

Did that explain it better?

Doctor Awkward
2018-09-15, 10:22 PM
Step 1: Make a turning check
This is a 1d20 + Charisma bonus, plus any other modifiers (like the +2 from 5 ranks in Knowledge: religion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#skillSynergy)), and another +3 from the feat.

Step 2: Read this chart for the result (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead)
Compare your result from the turning check to that chart to see what happens to your caster level.
On a 13 or higher, it goes up by the number indicated. On a 9 or lower it goes down by the number indicated. On a 10-12 there is no change.

Yael
2018-09-16, 12:14 AM
Step 1: Make a turning check
This is a 1d20 + Charisma bonus, plus any other modifiers (like the +2 from 5 ranks in Knowledge: religion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#skillSynergy)), and another +3 from the feat.

Isn't the Synergy bonus specifically for turning undead? I had the impresion it wouldn't work if, for example, you were turning creatures with the granted powers from domains as the Earth, Air, Fire or Water, and it were not an undead, you would not get the +2. :smallconfused:

Doctor Awkward
2018-09-16, 02:50 AM
Isn't the Synergy bonus specifically for turning undead? I had the impresion it wouldn't work if, for example, you were turning creatures with the granted powers from domains as the Earth, Air, Fire or Water, and it were not an undead, you would not get the +2. :smallconfused:

Since each of those domains states exactly, "Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead", I don't see any reason why it wouldn't apply.

Yael
2018-09-16, 09:20 AM
Since each of those domains states exactly, "Turn or destroy earth creatures as a good cleric turns undead", I don't see any reason why it wouldn't apply.

Oh, I always interpreted it as "the effects, range, check roll, damage rolls, duration are as a good cleric turns undead", yet the check isn't "turning undead", but other creature type, so the "+2 bonus to checks to turn or rebuke undead" would stay the same.

Not that I hold this posture firmly, it's just how I thought because it specifies undead, yet other variants of turning exist.

Elkad
2018-09-16, 09:40 AM
For non-undead turning, I've moved the synergy to the appropriate Knowledge skill for the creature type.

So if you were turning a Black Pudding, you'd need 5 ranks in Know:Dungeoneering to get the +2 bonus.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-16, 10:08 AM
So if you were turning a Black Pudding, you'd need 5 ranks in Know:Dungeoneering to get the +2 bonus.I know that black puddings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding) don't have to make a check to turn my stomach.

Crake
2018-09-17, 07:11 AM
For non-undead turning, I've moved the synergy to the appropriate Knowledge skill for the creature type.

So if you were turning a Black Pudding, you'd need 5 ranks in Know:Dungeoneering to get the +2 bonus.

You really should make it 1 bonus for the turn in question. For example, turn [Water] creatures should have the same bonus whether you're turning a [water] ooze, or a [water] elemental, since you're channeling the same energy each time, and the skill is based on that, not the target.

Necroticplague
2018-09-17, 11:51 AM
I have no clue what the feat, divine spell power, does. The wording is mega confusing I just want a quick ELI5.

When you’re rolling Turn Undead, you know how you make a check to see the max HD of effected Undead relative to your level? Do that, but it’s a bonus/penalty to CL instead of a bonus/penalty to effective cleric level.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-17, 12:20 PM
When you’re rolling Turn Undead, you know how you make a check to see the max HD of effected Undead relative to your level?Turn undead Affects undead, it doesn't Effect (create) them.

Elkad
2018-09-17, 09:53 PM
You really should make it 1 bonus for the turn in question. For example, turn [Water] creatures should have the same bonus whether you're turning a [water] ooze, or a [water] elemental, since you're channeling the same energy each time, and the skill is based on that, not the target.

I see your argument, and if I was at your table, I'd be fine with it on my theoretical Water Cleric*.
I'm not that nice to my players.

*Come to think of it, I've never played a Cleric - and I've been playing so long I pre-ordered the 1e DMG.