PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What is 1 level worth?

Endarire
2018-09-15, 11:09 PM
Greetings, all!

This is something that even WotC had trouble figuring out back in the day:

What is 1 character level (or 1 hit die) worth?

In its simplest form, it's worth at least 1 HD with associated skill points, BAB progression, and save(s) progression. Sometimes, spellcasting (prepared or spontaneous) is progressed. (You can substitute casting here for other similar systems like manifesting, binding, martial maneuvers, and maybe also Incarnum.) Sometimes class features are gained in addition to or instead of casting.

Taking the first level in a class as the first level overall provides 4x skill points and usually max HP for that HD. Taking the first level of any class also grants proficiencies and access to a new list of class skills which may overlap with ones the character already has. If favored classes are in play, other penalties and bonuses apply.

Answering the thread's title question is understandably complicated since taking Fighter1 at level 1 provides a variety of proficiencies, a bonus feat, and likely also max HP for that HD, while taking Fighter1 after Wizard5 is more questionable. (Certain builds intend to do this. I acknowledge that.)

Level adjustments further complicate things since they give features in the short-term while normally giving none of the scaling level-based abilities (HD, skill points, saves, and class features), and when a level adjustment is gained also matters. Being stuck level 1 with a notable level adjustment is painful, and probably more painful overall than having that same level adjustment at level 5 or 10. (I am aware of level adjustment buyoff from Unearthed Arcana.)

Racial HD also complicate things since they generally give less than what an equal number of class levels would give, but at least they can give skills, HP/HD, BAB. and base saves.

Thus, what is 1 character level (or 1 hit die) worth? What standards exist or should exist?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-09-15, 11:56 PM
1/2 a class feature (Inspire Greatness) or a small fraction of a level 6 spell (curse of lycanthropy)?

Zaq
2018-09-16, 12:05 AM
Worth what? It’s worth one level. What units are you comparing it to? Gold? Feats?

denthor
2018-09-16, 12:25 AM
1 level is the starting point for the game.

Decades ago there was a character class that started with -3500 experience points. You first had to get that to get to level 1. It was 2 levels to get to the starting point of the game.

2nd edition unearthed arcana. Cavalier I think.

I am sure I am wrong on the start of negative so feel free to correct.

PhantasyPen
2018-09-16, 12:46 AM
1 level is worth one ten year old human child.

Celestia
2018-09-16, 12:57 AM
This is a super vague question. I have no idea what you're asking. What are you trying to compare levels to? Levels are worth what?

Remuko
2018-09-16, 01:19 AM
I dont think thats answerable. The game is designed in a way that it cant be. Each class, and each level of each class has different worth. Its basically impossible to define a set value.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-16, 03:23 AM
Your question is inherently unanswerable. The value of a level varies wildly according to a number of factors such as those you noted.

The closest thing to an answer you're likely to get, and it's not a very good one, is between 60% and 70% of the WBL appropriate to that level per FC2's faustian pact rules.

GrayDeath
2018-09-16, 06:12 AM
One Cubic Foot of Gluup, preferably of 5th Dimension Make (though not necessarily a Mzyxtplk Original).

gkathellar
2018-09-16, 07:39 AM
Truistic answer: x103 experience pebbles, where x is equal to the buyer's current number of levels.

Mike Miller
2018-09-16, 09:18 AM
I understand the question, but I don't believe there is an answer. There is a massive disparity between classes and prestige classes among other factors as you noted such as LA. There are certainly no standards for what a level is worth and I am not certain there needs to be a standard. Some options are simply better than others. 3.X has far too many options to standardize. You would need a new edition to do this.

Quertus
2018-09-16, 10:07 AM
How much should it be worth? Hmmm... Work backwards, perhaps? Enough that, when added to the corresponding WBL table, four randomly geared, randomly leveled characters should be able to handle 3-6 "level appropriate" encounters before reaching a TPK?

Falontani
2018-09-16, 11:06 AM
Truistic answer: x103 experience pebbles, where x is equal to the buyer's current number of levels.

with crafting we know that 1 xp = 5 GP, so multiply the above answer by 5 and we get how much gold a level is worth