PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and need help

tfpawn
2018-09-16, 01:31 AM
I just want to know if and/or how I can play an online D&D adventure via chat, Skype, or whatever

Draconi Redfir
2018-09-16, 03:05 AM
i would reccomend either looking through the playgrounds own Game finding forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) or making an account on and looking through Roll20. (https://roll20.net/)

redwizard007
2018-09-16, 03:16 PM
Roll20 works remarkably well for long distance gaming.

SirGraystone
2018-09-17, 11:12 AM
Most online games are played with either Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds

YohaiHorosha
2018-09-19, 06:10 AM
Discord works well as a video chat, and has tons of bots to install to make gameplay work.

If you're going to do narrative roleplay, i prefer it to roll20 or fantasy grounds as it is a superior chat program. That said, the others have dedicated gaming resources which are nice if your gm uses them.

detritus
2018-09-25, 01:29 PM
Most online games are played with either Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds

Our (very) long term group is now spread across the world, so we use fantasy grounds and either discord or Facebook Messenger to chat. We've rather given up on Skype since MS got hold of it.

Hurske
2018-09-25, 11:16 PM
I will also recommend fantasy grounds, it is a fantastic platform, and what I been using with all my online groups.

Another alternative, can be tabletop simulator, but that will require everyone to have their own copy. It is a tabletop physics simulator, and has been steady with players making rpg elements for it.

Where it completely shines compared to Fantasy Grounds, roll20 or discord, is that you can have a 3d landscape and models.

Mordaedil
2018-09-27, 01:14 AM
I will also recommend fantasy grounds, it is a fantastic platform, and what I been using with all my online groups.

Another alternative, can be tabletop simulator, but that will require everyone to have their own copy. It is a tabletop physics simulator, and has been steady with players making rpg elements for it.

Where it completely shines compared to Fantasy Grounds, roll20 or discord, is that you can have a 3d landscape and models.
While true, I've found tabletop simulator to be too intensive for D&D or at least too clunky to be considered fun. Even with VR, or without VR it comes with heavy concessions to use.