PDA

View Full Version : New barbarian archtype 5e please help me make this

Keith Necrokar
2018-09-16, 09:56 AM
New barbarian archtype

Path of antipathy

In your travels you have gained a immeasurable hatred for a certain type of foe. You may have gained this hatred from a need for vengence, your upbringing, or perhaps out of a sense of duty. No matter the reason your blood boils at the thought of your foe.

Abominated foe- At 3rd level you choose one class, race, or creature type. Whatever you chose becomes your abominated foe. You can have multiple abominated foes at any one time. At any time you can as a free action mark a specific creature as your abominated foe. If 10 or more of your abominated foes excluding the one you chose when you gained this feature share the same class, race, or creature type you can mark that class, race, or creature type as your abominated foe. To mark someone as your abominated foe they must meet one of the following conditions.

* they have killed you or an ally of yours
* they have reduced you or an ally to 0 hp
* they have placed a curse or disease on you or an ally
* they have made you the enemy of a group of people such as a village or cult
* they are an ally of yours and they damaged, cursed, diseased, or placed a condition on you or an ally

When you deal damage to your abominated foe while you are raging your rage damage bonus is doubled. You also have resistance to all damage your abominated foe deals to you while you are raging.

Unending hatred- starting at 3rd level you must roll a wisdom saving throw with a DC of 8 + your constitution or strength modifier (use the higher of the two) + your proficiency modifier any time you see your abominated foe. If you fail the saving throw you enter a rage without expending one of your rages and attack your abominated foe untill either of you fall unconscious or die. The rage also does not end untill either of you fall unconscious or die. If you pass the saving throw nothing happens. Once you pass or fail the saving throw you do not need to roll it again untill 8 hours have passed. You can choose to exclude specific creatures from being your abominated foe if you have known them for a significant amount of time. If a creature is disguised or appears as your abominated but is not it still counts as your abominated foes untill you realize it is not. Once you realise someone is not your abominated foe after you fail your unending hatred saving throw you may end your rage early as a free action

Mad dash- at 6th level your movment speed is doubled when your move towards your abominated foe. You also ignore difficult terrain when moving this way.

Improved abominated foe- at 10th level any attack you make against your abominated foe while raging ignores resistance and immunity. While raging you add your rage damage bonus to any ability check or saving throw your abominated foe forces you to make.

Hatred unleashed- at 14th level when you are dealt damage by a creature while you are bloodied and raging you can use your reaction to take an extra turn before damage is calculated. During this extra turn you must use your full move to take the most direct path to the creature that damaged you and attack it as many times as you can. When you hit with an attack in this extra turn it counts as a critical hit. You are immune to all damage and ignore all conditions, curses, or diseases affecting you during your extra turn. During your extra turn your movement speed cannot be reduced and nothing costs extra movement. After your extra turn ends you take the damage that trigged this ability and become stunned for the next round. You can use this ability only once between each long rest.

Amnoriath
2018-09-17, 01:04 PM
This is overpowered, right at level 3 you basically give them the leisure of creating a backstory and using others in your party to gain near infinite rage and double rage damage to every foe in the game. You will probably say well it wouldn't work well in the off time because of flying to a rage at random. It may be inconvenient but because it is a free rage and all you have to do is choose not to attack and not take damage the rage will end very soon with no cost.

Keith Necrokar
2018-09-18, 07:40 AM
This is overpowered, right at level 3 you basically give them the leisure of creating a backstory and using others in your party to gain near infinite rage and double rage damage to every foe in the game. You will probably say well it wouldn't work well in the off time because of flying to a rage at random. It may be inconvenient but because it is a free rage and all you have to do is choose not to attack and not take damage the rage will end very soon with no cost.

Thank you for your opinion but it seems either my wording is off or you did not read it throughly if you could please read it again and tell me how it could be better phrased to be understood correctly i would be grateful. Regardless thank you for reading this.

Amnoriath
2018-09-18, 01:07 PM
1. Your wording is off, as currently you can stack your background with tragic stories of creatures killing or maiming loved ones as well as well as your party members to make targets of all creature types. Your free action not only means nothing in action economy but you don't limit it at all.
2. Okay I didn't catch the must attack but all one needs to do is cover your face or cover your party members. It is an ability with far more benefits then drawbacks as they can just not choose humanoid as a creature so they can still interact with most people they come across while still applying those strong numbers to everything else in the game and always having rage to use for battle.
3. Changing the wording isn't going to help. If you change the wording you could easily pidgeon hole them to where these benefits can only functionally apply to one or two making it a weak subclass. Conceptually it feels like a specific beserker and not something unique. You need to completely change it.

Amnoriath
2018-09-18, 07:33 PM
I am not saying this to be cruel or to say your idea is dumb, but maybe just to rethink this. There are a couple other ways to take this subclass mechanically that would be far better for the concept and usefulness of them as well.

Keith Necrokar
2018-09-25, 04:56 PM
I am not saying this to be cruel or to say your idea is dumb, but maybe just to rethink this. There are a couple other ways to take this subclass mechanically that would be far better for the concept and usefulness of them as well.

Thank you for all your advice sorry i have not replied i was sick the last few days and work was getting to me. I think i'll change the build to work more like favored enemy. I'll remove the ability to add specific enemies and at 6th 10th and 14th you get to choose another class, race, or creature type. Think i'll let them choose 2 enemies to start at 3rd instead of one.

Keith Necrokar
2018-09-25, 05:03 PM

The starting out idea was to have a barbarians version of a hunter of either a group they hate or specific people and i tried to mix them becouse it seemed to make sense. I really wanted to make a subclass for the dump kinda barbarian something to replace the sad subclass that is berserker but be different.

Amnoriath
2018-09-27, 01:01 PM
I think that you should go with that.