PDA

View Full Version : Nicol bolas spell list help

Nick B.
2018-09-16, 02:47 PM
In an upcoming campaign my Dm agreed to let me play Nicol Bolas the God-Pharoah. I get to have 7 spells known at 3rd level playing a custom sorcerer who can pick any spells for his list. the dm has also allowed us to concentrate on multiply spells at once. What are the best 7 1st and 2nd level spells for a sorcer to have?

Rixitichil
2018-09-16, 03:12 PM
Are you looking for sorcerer advice or advice on which spells best typify Nicol Bolas? Because those are two different questions.
The latter favours mind manipulation like Charm Person, Suggestion and Detect Thoughts, possibly with a few flame related spells like Scorching Ray and Burning Hands to best reflect the Draconic fire breathing.

skaddix
2018-09-16, 03:29 PM
Kinda tricky since Bolas has a fairly massive spell list but eh Focus On Fire Spells, Necromancy and Mind Spells

Nick B.
2018-09-16, 04:01 PM
Are you looking for sorcerer advice or advice on which spells best typify Nicol Bolas? Because those are two different questions.
The latter favours mind manipulation like Charm Person, Suggestion and Detect Thoughts, possibly with a few flame related spells like Scorching Ray and Burning Hands to best reflect the Draconic fire breathing.

Both would be helpful

Chijinda
2018-09-16, 05:00 PM
Well, Bolas is a master of all forms of magic, so it's a little tricky, but his specialties seem to be Necromancy and Telepathy. That in mind....

Wish seems like a must for Bolas, just in general.

but for 7th and 2nd level spells specifically....

Finger of Death and Teleport seem very Bolas-like for 7th level spells. Plane Shift is a must for obvious reasons.

For 2nd level, you might look into Detect Thoughts or Ray of Enfeeblement (the latter assuming your GM allows you access to Wizard spells as well).

Corran
2018-09-16, 05:32 PM
I don't know who this character is, but given that you play a sorcerer, and reading that this character is master on all forms of magic with emphasis on necromancy and mind control, I would suggest the divine soul sorcerer's archetype. That will allow you to grab a few divine spells, such as animate dead, create undead and geas.

Nick B.
2018-09-16, 08:06 PM
I don't know who this character is, but given that you play a sorcerer, and reading that this character is master on all forms of magic with emphasis on necromancy and mind control, I would suggest the divine soul sorcerer's archetype. That will allow you to grab a few divine spells, such as animate dead, create undead and geas.

Mg Dm has let me pick spells from any spell list as part of a custom subclass for bolas

Azreal
2018-09-17, 10:49 AM
Just out of curiosity what kind of campaign are you playing that allows you to play essentially a god?

Also Nicol Bolas is infamous for his touch that can shatter minds to the point of death. Most of the times he actually casts magic it’s to manipulate others to his own ends.

Hell Tezzeret and Jace both were crushed easily in a telepathic assault by Bolas.

AHF
2018-09-17, 11:13 AM
Mg Dm has let me pick spells from any spell list as part of a custom subclass for bolas

My read of the OP is that you can only pick from 1st and 2nd level spells but you can stack concentration spells (making spells like Blur much more attractive). Some suggestions that include some for both flavor and effectiveness (suggestion, scorching ray, etc.) and some for utility (ex - broken healing spirit):

1st level
Bless
Entangle
Fairie Fire
Find Familiar
Healing Word

2nd level
Blur
Heat Metal
Healing Spirit
Invisibility
Misty Step
Scorching Ray
Suggestion

Azreal
2018-09-17, 12:20 PM
I completely forgot to add in my list of suggestions.

1st:
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Silent Image
Command
Dissonant Whispers
Inflict Wounds

2nd:
Crown of Madness
Enthrall
Suggestion
Mirror Image
Phantasmal Force
Silence
Hold Person
Detect Thoughts

And then pick some Fire evocation spells for offense if desired.

Nick B.
2018-09-18, 12:35 PM
My read of the OP is that you can only pick from 1st and 2nd level spells but you can stack concentration spells (making spells like Blur much more attractive). Some suggestions that include some for both flavor and effectiveness (suggestion, scorching ray, etc.) and some for utility (ex - broken healing spirit):

1st level
Bless
Entangle
Fairie Fire
Find Familiar
Healing Word

2nd level
Blur
Heat Metal
Healing Spirit
Invisibility
Misty Step
Scorching Ray
Suggestion

No hex or hellish rebuke?

Finback
2018-09-19, 12:51 AM
I don't know who this character is,

just adding this for those who don't know. This is Nicol Bolas.

https://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/featured/EN_NicolBolas_1_Gallery.jpg
https://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/images/featured/EN_NicolBolas_4_Gallery.jpg
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/mtgsalvation_gamepedia/e/e1/Nicol_Bolas%2C_God-Pharaoh.jpg
http://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/cardart_HOU_INV_Damnation.jpg
http://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/cardart_HOU_Hour-of-Devastation.jpg

AHF
2018-09-19, 07:31 AM
No hex or hellish rebuke?

Both are fine choices. Honestly forgot Warlock specific selections.

Nick B.
2018-09-19, 03:11 PM
Just out of curiosity what kind of campaign are you playing that allows you to play essentially a god?

Also Nicol Bolas is infamous for his touch that can shatter minds to the point of death. Most of the times he actually casts magic it’s to manipulate others to his own ends.

Hell Tezzeret and Jace both were crushed easily in a telepathic assault by Bolas.

One where he's currently weak but we're planning on going to 20th+ and hopping all over the multiverse