PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A "Magical Battle Miner" character.

tadkins
2018-09-16, 05:28 PM
Kind of a followup to my recent post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23369046&postcount=840) in Kurald's Magus thread. Was thinking I might have found what I was looking for in one of that class's archetypes. Based off the responses that idea didn't pan out too well. But I am still interested in the concept and am looking for alternatives.

Basically I'm looking for a good class/archetype/etc setup that would work for this concept. What I'm looking for...

-Decent melee capability with a Pick (light or heavy).
-Smattering of roguishness for skills/movement.
-Access to spells based around earth/metal.

Would there be anything like this? So many options in Pathfinder that there's a good chance I might have missed a bunch. Could use some help on that particular issue.

tadkins
2018-09-16, 08:48 PM
A few rough ideas I've already had but am not sure whether they'd pan out.

Wizard Gish w/Metal specialization.
Sorcerer Gish, Deep Earth bloodline.
Inquisitor of an Earth deity. Problem there is that no earth deities seem to have picks as a favored weapon. The couple I did find tend to be your standard "evil psycho killa" deities totally unrelated to geology or mining.
Cleric of an Earth deity, maybe VMCed with rogue or other skillful stealthy class. Same problem as Inquisitor.

Geddy2112
2018-09-16, 08:57 PM
How much magic do you need? A ranger, particularly with the deep walker (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo-ranger-archetypes/deep-walker) or dungeon rover (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo-ranger-archetypes/dungeon-rover)archetype is right up your alley. You get pick proficency, a lot of skills and roguelike abilities, and some decent earth themed magic.

If you are a dwarf, you gain access to heavy pick proficiency. You could go cleric of earth/metal/artifice, or a stone spirit shaman. More magic, still some decent martial ability but lack of skills. Warpriest is another option, just pick earth/forge/blessings like these. You mentioned inquisitor with earth domain, and dwarves make great inquisitors and bring their own proficiency to the table.

For a dwarf, your best bet might be a cave druid (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo-druid-archetypes/cave-druid). Earth domain access, 3/4th bab, dungeoneering class skill, and my personal favorite, undetectable by tremorsense. All on top of the druid full casting which has a ton of earth/dirt/metal themed spells.

For a prestiege class, the dark delver (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/dark-delver/) is worth a look, but it won't advance spellcasting.

tadkins
2018-09-16, 09:18 PM
How much magic do you need? A ranger, particularly with the deep walker (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo-ranger-archetypes/deep-walker) or dungeon rover (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo-ranger-archetypes/dungeon-rover)archetype is right up your alley. You get pick proficency, a lot of skills and roguelike abilities, and some decent earth themed magic.

If you are a dwarf, you gain access to heavy pick proficiency. You could go cleric of earth/metal/artifice, or a stone spirit shaman. More magic, still some decent martial ability but lack of skills. Warpriest is another option, just pick earth/forge/blessings like these. You mentioned inquisitor with earth domain, and dwarves make great inquisitors and bring their own proficiency to the table.

For a dwarf, your best bet might be a cave druid (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo-druid-archetypes/cave-druid). Earth domain access, 3/4th bab, dungeoneering class skill, and my personal favorite, undetectable by tremorsense. All on top of the druid full casting which has a ton of earth/dirt/metal themed spells.

For a prestiege class, the dark delver (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/dark-delver/) is worth a look, but it won't advance spellcasting.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Of all those options I think the Stone Spirit Shaman looks the best. Got plenty of the kind of magic I'm looking for while not compromising the "rugged gruff miner" character look I want to go for.

Haven't really decided what race I want to go for. More than likely it'd be human, dwarf, or one of the elemental-blooded ones. Haven't created too much of a story either, just have the bare bones in mind so far. Basically he's an adventurer with a love for mining, finding gems and valuable metals beneath the earth. He knows his pick better than anything, and uses it frequently in and out of combat. His magic helps him reach out and find the best places to mine.

Edit: Tough call regarding races. Dwarves get the heavy pick proficiency, but Humans get a favored class option that lets them pick out Cleric spells, which would be nice for fleshing out the spell selection of the Shaman. Very tough indeed!

Ellrin
2018-09-16, 10:34 PM
Humans' adoptive parentage alternate racial trait will allow them to pick up the default languages and racial weapon proficiencies of another race in exchange for their bonus feat. Not mechanically ideal, of course, but it's something, and it gives you an excuse to RP Carrot Ironfoundersson.

tadkins
2018-09-16, 10:58 PM
Humans' adoptive parentage alternate racial trait will allow them to pick up the default languages and racial weapon proficiencies of another race in exchange for their bonus feat. Not mechanically ideal, of course, but it's something, and it gives you an excuse to RP Carrot Ironfoundersson.

I was already considering just using that bonus feat picking up the weapon proficiency. That option would just mean getting a tad extra from it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

tadkins
2018-09-16, 11:52 PM
Actually another possibility just caught my eye; the Archaeologist (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo-bard-archetypes/archaeologist/) Bard.

Not quite as "bound to stone" as other options, but kind of has that same feel and plenty of what I'm looking for. Not entirely sure how effective of a character it would be though. Thoughts?

Geddy2112
2018-09-20, 12:10 AM
I almost suggested archaeologist bard, but that is more Indiana Jones(whip proficiency seals the deal here) than magical battle miner; it lacks earth/metal based magic as well as pick proficiency. The class itself is a very strong bard archetype. Combined with fate's favored for +1 to luck bonuses and you are on par with warpriest and magus for combat, with bard spells/skills and rogue features. Being able to turn on your juice as a swift action at level 1 and qualify for lingering performance ensures you almost always have your luck active and come out the gate with overclocked BAB and damage. Suddenly, you are on par with martial output but with all the classic bard versatility.

The best part is that it is a great way to break the trope of lute playing ninny bard. Not just Indiana Jones, but any of your more rogueish archetypes with a social flair. James Bond, Han Solo, Mata Hari,Lord Peter Balish/Littlefinger, and others like these. Can also make a fairly good Domino from Deadpool for the luck thing.

If you go shaman, human is the best mechanically to patch up your otherwise garbage spell list, but even without the FCB there you are not dead in the water. Wandering spirit helps a fair amount to give you other spells, particularly if you wander into lore and don't dump INT, allowing you to constantly poach spells from the sorcerer/wizard list. Regardless of spirit, shaman has some okay spells and certainly thematic for what you are looking at.

tadkins
2018-09-20, 03:05 AM
I almost suggested archaeologist bard, but that is more Indiana Jones(whip proficiency seals the deal here) than magical battle miner; it lacks earth/metal based magic as well as pick proficiency. The class itself is a very strong bard archetype. Combined with fate's favored for +1 to luck bonuses and you are on par with warpriest and magus for combat, with bard spells/skills and rogue features. Being able to turn on your juice as a swift action at level 1 and qualify for lingering performance ensures you almost always have your luck active and come out the gate with overclocked BAB and damage. Suddenly, you are on par with martial output but with all the classic bard versatility.

Eh, I'm still debating which route I would want to go with. The spiritualist with a mind, body and soul forged in stone, or the hardy adventurer in search of relics and treasure. Could easily say my archaeologist has a background in geology (the two fields go hand in hand quite well). Wouldn't need to necessarily throw around earth-based spells to fit that theme, and gaining pick proficiency is as easy as being a dwarf, or being a human adopted by dwarves.

And yep I feel the exact same way as you do. Not the biggest fan of bards in general (singing and dancing aren't really my thing) but the Archaeologist turns it into an archetype that I like. The page even suggests that it's not just for bards who want a roguish feel, but also for rogues who are more interested in learning than stabbing. It looks awesome.

Geddy2112
2018-09-20, 12:15 PM
Even stock bards make great academics, but archeologist focuses the theme. Bards have every knowledge as a class skill and archeologist maintains bardic knowledge/lore master. Geology is basically dungeoneering, and archeology covers almost every other knowledge skill in varying degrees.
Take an ancient egyptian pyramid:
-Magical writings and wards are arcana.
-Dungeoneering to determine traps and false passages.
-Engineering to how it was built and of what.
-Geography to know location significance alignment with celestial bodies.
-History for an ancient civilization.
-Local to help secure guides, equipment, passages, translators, and know rumors.
-Nature to determine species of embalmed creatures and natural substances left in the tombs. Dead cats, organs in jars, vats of honey etc.
-Nobility to know the people of significance buried their, their pedigree and deeds.
-Religion to know the religious significance of such a tomb and beliefs. Also important to ID the mummy's abilities and weakness when it rises up and attacks you.

tadkins
2018-09-20, 02:19 PM
Even stock bards make great academics

Very true. But a stock bard would have to learn how to sing or play a musical instrument.

*shudder*

Ellrin
2018-09-20, 04:26 PM
Very true. But a stock bard would have to learn how to sing or play a musical instrument.

*shudder*

You could play the bones.

On a more serious note, this certainly doesn't cover the pick proficiency, thematic spells, or anything of the kind, but if you want a nerdy, adventurously skilled melee-proficient with magical ability, the investigator is hard to beat. An investigator right out of the box is pretty nearly the most skilled character in the game, gets all knowledge skills, gets free +1d6 (or higher) to all proficient knowledge rolls, and has access to a talent that lets you take 10 on knowledge checks even while under stress. He has a limited pool of points that let him add that same +1d6 (or higher) to any skill check, save, or attack roll, not to mention a rogue's trapfinding and access to talents that let him add that +1d6 to more skills for free; he also gets access to some of the best stealth rogue talents. In melee, he's a quick buffer with access to the poisoner's gloves, which work with his spell-substitutes, and gets a bunch of excellent combat buffs on his list; not to mention +half level on attack and damage rolls against designated targets and a basic version of the alchemist's mutagen.

tadkins
2018-09-20, 04:59 PM
You could play the bones.

On a more serious note, this certainly doesn't cover the pick proficiency, thematic spells, or anything of the kind, but if you want a nerdy, adventurously skilled melee-proficient with magical ability, the investigator is hard to beat. An investigator right out of the box is pretty nearly the most skilled character in the game, gets all knowledge skills, gets free +1d6 (or higher) to all proficient knowledge rolls, and has access to a talent that lets you take 10 on knowledge checks even while under stress. He has a limited pool of points that let him add that same +1d6 (or higher) to any skill check, save, or attack roll, not to mention a rogue's trapfinding and access to talents that let him add that +1d6 to more skills for free; he also gets access to some of the best stealth rogue talents. In melee, he's a quick buffer with access to the poisoner's gloves, which work with his spell-substitutes, and gets a bunch of excellent combat buffs on his list; not to mention +half level on attack and damage rolls against designated targets and a basic version of the alchemist's mutagen.

The plot thickens! Yeah the Investigator looks like a pretty nice class too. So very tough to choose. :D

Getting the pick proficiency isn't much of a concern. I can either be a dwarf, or a human with the adoptive parentage trait.

Geddy2112
2018-09-21, 11:20 AM
*shudder*
You have perform: act, dance, comedy, and oratory as alternatives to music. Rousing speeches, hilarious quips, battle dancing and the whole artistic assassin thespian are not musical if you wanna go a different direction with bardic performance.

The plot thickens! Yeah the Investigator looks like a pretty nice class too. So very tough to choose. :D

Getting the pick proficiency isn't much of a concern. I can either be a dwarf, or a human with the adoptive parentage trait.

Investigator could fit, there are a few archetypes that are minerequese. If you need light underground, the lamplighter (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo-investigator-archetypes/lamplighter-investigator-archetype/) is your ticket. You expressed some anthroplogical interest, so gravedigger (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo-investigator-archetypes/gravedigger-investigator-archetype/) is worth a look. It is not very good mechanically, but the cartographer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo-investigator-archetypes/cartographer-investigator-archetype/) archetype might be of interest for mapping out ruins, mines etc.