PDA

View Full Version : Laser weapon question

Jackaccount
2018-09-16, 05:37 PM
Would it be possible to combine the electrolaser and pulsed energy projectile weapon concepts? Basically the latter but with some added electricity. I'm trying to think of exotic, yet plausible weapons for a story.

Ravens_cry
2018-09-16, 06:06 PM
Would it be possible to combine the electrolaser and pulsed energy projectile weapon concepts? Basically the latter but with some added electricity. I'm trying to think of exotic, yet plausible weapons for a story.
Probably could, aye, but, at the same time, why would you want to? The idea of an electrolaser so you can have a taser without needing those pesky limited range and easily broken and limited use leads. The idea of a pulsed laser is to add greater penetration, I believe. Those aren't very compatible goals.

Jackaccount
2018-09-16, 09:19 PM
The pulsed energy projectile isn't just a pulsed laser, basically the PEP ablates the surface of it's target and makes a small amount of plasma. The resulting pressure wave is what does most of the damage. I was wondering if electricity could be added to that to make it more lethal/aesthetically pleasing.

Ravens_cry
2018-09-16, 09:49 PM
The pulsed energy projectile isn't just a pulsed laser, basically the PEP ablates the surface of it's target and makes a small amount of plasma. The resulting pressure wave is what does most of the damage. I was wondering if electricity could be added to that to make it more lethal/aesthetically pleasing.
"Aesthetically pleasing"? Not sure what you mean by that, but, regardless, an electrolaser is still meant as a less lethal weapon. So its incompatible with the goals of a PEP, i.e. killing things.

Jackaccount
2018-09-16, 09:56 PM
"Aesthetically pleasing"? Not sure what you mean by that, but, regardless, an electrolaser is still meant as a less lethal weapon. So its incompatible with the goals of a PEP, i.e. killing things.

I was thinking of weapons for a story, I meant that it would look flashy. Both weapons are technically non-lethal. Mostly I'm curious if this combination is even possible.

Anymage
2018-09-16, 10:41 PM
Vaporizing a hole through something is generally pretty lethal.

In very specific situations where you have fantasy nasties who are only mildly put out by that sort of thing, extra electricity shot into them can both incapacitate them taser style, and do electrocution damage. The energy requirements would be ludicrous, and I don't know whether spending all that energy on one system wouldn't be more effective than trying to do two things at once. (Your other topic has people explaining why laser weapons are impractical from a realism standpoint.)

In the aesthetic sense of "makes for some nice sounding technobabble why these weapons are particularly effective", I guess it works okay.

Jackaccount
2018-09-17, 07:28 PM
Ok, I feel like we have very different ideas about what the PEP is but I appreciate your input.

The other thread isn't me by the way, just another guy with Jack in his name.