PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Witch in Carrion Crown advice

catower
2018-09-16, 06:50 PM
I'm going to be playing in a Carrion Crown pathfinder campaign soon. So far the party is Human Paladin, Human Rogue, Half-Elf Summoner, and I'm playing a Human Witch.

I've it mentioned that this campaign has a lot of enemies that are resistant to mind-affects and some of the best hex a witch has are exactly that. It has me worried about how viable my witch will actually be.

Is a witch alright to take through this campaign and does anyone have any advice for which hexes would be better to take?

TheFamilarRaven
2018-09-16, 07:31 PM
Witch would certainly not be my go to for Carrion Crown. As you say, you'd lose out on some of your strongest hexes (sleep, evil-eye etc). Maybe not all the time, but a good chunk of the first module pits the party up against undead. Plus there aren't too many utility hexes that pop out as solid options (flight not withstanding). In addition, you have a limited spell list and less spell slots compared to a regular full caster, and the spells you do have don't lend themselves to fighting undead either.

That's not to say your Witch abilities will never come up. Each module varies in theme. Some heavily involve creatures that are immune to mind-affecting ability and some not so much. But I wouldn't want to be in a position where most of my abilities don't work.

What, in particular, makes you want to play Witch? Because from the look of your party, you could probably roll up an Oracle and fluff it in a way to match a witch and be a better fit mechanically for your party's composition, since you might want someone who can channel energy consistently. Basically, you can be a witch without having levels in the Witch class....

If you have to go Witch, the white-haired Witch archetype replaces hexes with a hair attack through which you can deliver touch spells and deal damage.

catower
2018-09-16, 08:34 PM
I was fine with filling any roles the party were missing which was more healing and since the witch would allow it i also wanted to fly around on a broom and do witch things.

I wouldn't mind switching to an oracle if it would have more use in the carrion crown campaign and save the witch for another campaign that ever came along.

I think i'll do that. Thanks for your help!

Geddy2112
2018-09-16, 08:44 PM
If you want to stick with witch, you can always use the gravewalker (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo-witch-archetypes/gravewalker/) archetype which gives you a bonkers powerful hex against undead. A lot of your magic is mind affecting, but not all and you have plenty of other options. With hexes even on a vanilla witch, you can go buffing with fortune/ward+cackle.