PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcane Tradition - Pinball Wizard - PEACH

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 07:40 AM
Please feel free to add any comments on this. Whether you see a need for clarity, something is over or underpowered, or if it doesn't feel right. Also, if you look at it and go "this seems fine" that helps me to know that it's good the way it is currently and there isn't a lack of comments due to it being a mess.

Homebrewery Link to the most recent iteration if you prefer that
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ-BngVp_m

Arcane Tradition - Pinball Wizard
He’s a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist a pinball wizard s’got such a supple wrist. A just for fun wizard based on the Who’s Tommy and the Pinball Wizard song.

He stands like a statue
Becomes part of the machine
Feelin' all the bumpers
Always playin' clean
Rebounding shot
At second level, you learn the rebounding shot ability. When you make a ranged spell attack and miss, you can use your bonus action to have it rebound off of them and hit a different target instead. Make a spell attack against a different target within 10 feet of the original target. You can use ability your int modifier (minimum 1) times per long rest.

He ain't got no distractions
Can't hear those buzzers and bells,
Don't see lights a flashin'
Plays by sense of smell.
No Distractions
At level 2 you learn to be skill at focusing despite distractions. You are not bothered by lights flashing, buzzers, or bells, or anything else really. 2 times a day, when you fail a concentration check, you may attempt it again. When you do, your re-roll keeps the same advantage/disadvantage as the first roll. You must keep the results of your second roll.
You regain these 2 uses after a long rest.

Plays by sense of smell.
Plays by Sense of Smell
At 6th level you gain a supernatural sense of smell. You gain advantage on all perception checks that require a sense of smell. Additionally, you are able to use the scents of the area around you to pinpoint the exact location of creatures and objects. This gives you blindsight to 20 feet.
A creature is undetectable with this blindsense by anything that renders them unsmellable (pass without a trace for example).

He's got crazy flipper fingers
Never seen him fall...
That deaf, dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pinball.
Never seen him fall
At level 10, you may cast the feather fall spell at will, but only on yourself. You may use a spell slot to cast feather fall normally. Additionally, you gain advantage on any save or check against a spell or effect that will knock you prone on failure.

Always has a replay,
'N' never tilts at all
That deaf dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pin ball.
Replay
At 14th level you learn the replay ability. When you cast a spell of level 5 or lower, you can use this special ability to cast the same spell again as a bonus action. This bonus action cast must be the same spell, and spell slot level.
This ability allows a second casting on a single turn even though other rules say otherwise, but the bonus spell also uses a spell slot. This ability can be used once per long rest.

He stands like a statue
Feelin' all the bumpers
Always playin' clean
Rebounding shot
At second level, you learn the rebounding shot ability. When you make a ranged spell attack and miss, you can use your bonus action to have it rebound off of them and hit a different target instead. Make a spell attack against a different target within 10 feet of the original target. You can use ability your int modifier (minimum 1) times per long rest.

Plays by sense of smell.
No Distractions
At level 2 you learn to be skill at focusing despite distractions. You are not bothered by lights flashing, buzzers, or bells, or anything else really. You gain the ability to automatically succeed a concentration check 2 times, but you must decide before rolling. You regain these uses after a short rest.

Enhance Familiar
At sixth level, your abilities with your familiar are increased. You no longer need to spend an action to use the familiar’s senses, and your familiar gains the ability to see through magical darkness for 60 feet. Additionally the familiar learns the ability to cast the invisibility spell on itself 1 time per day.

I'M FREE- I'm free
And freedom tastes of reality
I'm free-I'm free
I’m Free
You become immune to the grappled and restrained conditions. You can break out of Non-magical ropes and manicals with a flick of the wrist as a free item interaction. Additionally, you are immune to the deafened condition.

Always has a replay,
'N' never tilts at all
Replay
At 14th level you learn the replay ability. When you cast a spell of level 5 or lower, you can use this special ability to cast the same spell again as a bonus action. The ability allow a second casting on a single turn even though other rules say otherwise. This ability can be used once per long rest.

Eragon123
2018-09-17, 08:52 AM
Arcane Tradition - Pinball Wizard
He stands like a statue
Feelin' all the bumpers
Always playin' clean
Rebounding shot

I like this. Great flavor and mechanics.

Plays by sense of smell.
No Distractions
At level 2 you learn to be skill at focusing despite distractions. You are not bothered by lights flashing, buzzers, or bells, or anything else really. You gain the ability to automatically succeed a concentration check 2 times, but you must decide before rolling. You regain these uses after a short rest.

Little worried about this one. As 2 free concentration checks after you know what the DC is per short rest. In play I could see this growing into "I don't make concentration checks".

Enhance Familiar
At sixth level, your abilities with your familiar are increased. You no longer need to spend an action to use the familiar’s senses, and your familiar gains the ability to see through magical darkness for 60 feet. Additionally the familiar learns the ability to cast the invisibility spell on itself 1 time per day.

Keep in mind that while a wizard should always have Find Familiar it is not required. Maybe add it as an extra spell? Also I'm slightly worried about this stepping on the Chain-Warlock's toes.

I'M FREE- I'm free
And freedom tastes of reality
I'm free-I'm free
I’m Free
You become immune to the grappled and restrained conditions. You can break out of Non-magical ropes and manicals with a flick of the wrist as a free item interaction. Additionally, you are immune to the deafened condition.

I assume 10th level. :smallsmile:
I like the immune to deafened, if only that was a bigger deal in 5e.... I also like the image of a demon trying to grab a wizard only to keep have him slipping out of its fingers.

Always has a replay,
'N' never tilts at all
Replay
At 14th level you learn the replay ability. When you cast a spell of level 5 or lower, you can use this special ability to cast the same spell again as a bonus action. The ability allow a second casting on a single turn even though other rules say otherwise. This ability can be used once per long rest.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little worried about this one. Double fireball is mean. Also you may want to add "provided you have the spell slot to do so".
I'd almost want to add a "reduced to 1 instead of 0" feature here. But it IS high level where it won't be too meaningful.

Here is an idea I had when reading your subclass.
By Sense of Smell
Your keen senses can help you make the most improbable of shots.
Once per short rest, you can aim a spell anywhere within range, even if you can't see the destination, provided that you know a feasible path for the spell to rebound to get there.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 09:06 AM
Little worried about this one. As 2 free concentration checks after you know what the DC is per short rest. In play I could see this growing into "I don't make concentration checks".

Thanks for the comments, do you think that it would be better to make it 2 per long rest instead? Would that fix your concern while still leaving the flavour?

Keep in mind that while a wizard should always have Find Familiar it is not required. Maybe add it as an extra spell? Also I'm slightly worried about this stepping on the Chain-Warlock's toes.

Thanks, maybe I will replace it by a sense of smell type thing. My goal was to give the idea of Tommy being able to see even though he was deaf and blind. Maybe some sort of smell sense that allows someone to track and identify people around corners from a distance. I'll take a look

I assume 10th level. :smallsmile:
I like the immune to deafened, if only that was a bigger deal in 5e.... I also like the image of a demon trying to grab a wizard only to keep have him slipping out of its fingers.

Immune to deafened if more fluff than anything else since it's fitting for the story of Tommy. I know he was also no longer blinded, but I thought immune to blind was just to much.

I'm a little worried about this one. Double fireball is mean. Also you may want to add "provided you have the spell slot to do so".
I'd almost want to add a "reduced to 1 instead of 0" feature here. But it IS high level where it won't be too meaningful.

I'll add some clarity here. It is meant that you have to use 2 slots, and it only a once per day thing. Yes, it's powerful, but that's why I limited the slot level and how often it can happen.

Here is an idea I had when reading your subclass.
By Sense of Smell
Your keen senses can help you make the most improbable of shots.
Once per short rest, you can aim a spell anywhere within range, even if you can't see the destination, provided that you know a feasible path for the spell to rebound to get there.

Thanks, I took the title and made it into something else that could be used effectively by a clever player. Make the senses more powerful for someone based on smell.

Eragon123
2018-09-17, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the comments, do you think that it would be better to make it 2 per long rest instead? Would that fix your concern while still leaving the flavour?

I think this is a good starting point. Maybe in play it can be adjusted but its hard to nerf things once they hit the table sometimes.

Thanks, maybe I will replace it by a sense of smell type thing. My goal was to give the idea of Tommy being able to see even though he was deaf and blind. Maybe some sort of smell sense that allows someone to track and identify people around corners from a distance. I'll take a look

I like it. May actually be on the underpowered side. Also kinda worried about unwise wizards but that's their problem and they shouldn't pick this class.

Immune to deafened if more fluff than anything else since it's fitting for the story of Tommy. I know he was also no longer blinded, but I thought immune to blind was just to much.

Also immune to blind is counter to the flavor. :smallbiggrin:
Yeah this feature is on the weird side but I like it.

I'll add some clarity here. It is meant that you have to use 2 slots, and it only a once per day thing. Yes, it's powerful, but that's why I limited the slot level and how often it can happen.

Fair enough, I'll let it be tested at the table then and see what the feedback is.

Overall, I think this class is solid. There may be some room for improvement but on flavor and mechanics I think it's ready for a test go.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 09:41 AM
I think this is a good starting point. Maybe in play it can be adjusted but its hard to nerf things once they hit the table sometimes.

I like it. May actually be on the underpowered side. Also kinda worried about unwise wizards but that's their problem and they shouldn't pick this class.

Also immune to blind is counter to the flavor. :smallbiggrin:
Yeah this feature is on the weird side but I like it.

Fair enough, I'll let it be tested at the table then and see what the feedback is.

Overall, I think this class is solid. There may be some room for improvement but on flavor and mechanics I think it's ready for a test go.

Thanks for taking a look and the comments, I really appreciate it all!

KOLE
2018-09-17, 12:37 PM
First of all, this is a fun idea! On first glance, I think you nailed the combination of flavor and crunch@

Rebounding shot

I love this. A great ability to build an archetype around. It's flavorful and fun.

At level 2 you learn to be skill at focusing despite distractions. You are not bothered by lights flashing, buzzers, or bells, or anything else really. You gain the ability to automatically succeed a concentration check 2 times, but you must decide before rolling. You regain these uses after a long rest.

I think this is too much. I would say let's dial it down to gaining advantage on concentration checks twice per long rest.

At sixth level you gain a supernatural sense of smell. You gain advantage on all perception checks that require a sense of smell. Additionally, you can use an action to locate the position of a creature with 100 feet by it's scent, unless it's scent is blocked by magical means

I'm not a fan of this. What if we gave blindsight out to 20 feet instead? You could still flavor it as tracking by smell.

At 10th level, you become immune to the grappled and restrained conditions. You can break out of Non-magical ropes and manacles with a flick of the wrist as a free item interaction. Additionally, you are immune to the deafened condition.

I think this is too much. After looking at other Traditions, I vote we either drop immunity to grapple and retrained and keep the other abilities as is OR allow you add your proficiency bonus to checks against being grappled or restrained. I'm not a fan of outright immunities.

Replay
At 14th level you learn the replay ability. When you cast a spell of level 5 or lower, you can use this special ability to cast the same spell again as a bonus action. This bonus action cast must be the same spell, and spell slot level.
This ability allows a second casting on a single turn even though other rules say otherwise, but the bonus spell also uses a spell slot. This ability can be used once per long rest.

I love this! I think this is pretty solid as it is, and it's awesome flavor.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 12:46 PM
First of all, this is a fun idea! On first glance, I think you nailed the combination of flavor and crunch@
thanks!

I think this is too much. I would say let's dial it down to gaining advantage on concentration checks twice per long rest.

So, my first thought was to do exactly that. However, Warcaster is almost a feat tax for wizard and gaining advantage on concentration checks would directly compete with that. Do you have other thoughts on what could be used to avoid distraction from a fluff perspective while not competing with Warcaster?

What about a re-roll 2 times/long rest of concentration checks? Would that feel more satisfying? It wouldn't compete with Warcaster since you would re-roll with advantage the second time.

I'm not a fan of this. What if we gave blindsight out to 20 feet instead? You could still flavor it as tracking by smell.

Sure that is possible. What in particular don't you like about it, so I can think it through better?

I think this is too much. After looking at other Traditions, I vote we either drop immunity to grapple and retrained and keep the other abilities as is OR allow you add your proficiency bonus to checks against being grappled or restrained. I'm not a fan of outright immunities.

How would you feel about Int mod to bonus checks and saves for grappled and restrained and keep the other more fluffy abilities? I just don't see immunity to deafness and being able to break out of ropes/manacles as being enough to even really be excited about at level 10

Or as I was thinking about it more. Immune to grappled, advantage against restrained and immune to deafened. By level 10 wizards have lots and lots of ways to break a grapple as a bonus action, so it's not as powerful.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 01:53 PM
Alternately I could trade out an ability for a charm like ability

You didn't hear it
You didn't see it
You won't say nothing to no-one
Never in your life
You never heard it
Oh, how absurd it all seems
Without any proof
You won't say nothing to no one
At X level you can cast a memory charm over an opponent. They must make a wisdom save verses your spell save DC or have the last 10 minutes of their life completely erased from their memory.
This skill can be used once per long rest

KOLE
2018-09-17, 02:34 PM
So, my first thought was to do exactly that. However, Warcaster is almost a feat tax for wizard and gaining advantage on concentration checks would directly compete with that. Do you have other thoughts on what could be used to avoid distraction from a fluff perspective while not competing with Warcaster?

What about a re-roll 2 times/long rest of concentration checks? Would that feel more satisfying? It wouldn't compete with Warcaster since you would re-roll with advantage the second time.

Ohhh, that's a really good point, especially since Warcaster is on of the only feats I consistently build spellcasters with personally. I think rerolls work or maybe add your prof modifier to a concentration check twice per long rest? Rerolls would probably be better.

Sure that is possible. What in particular don't you like about it, so I can think it through better?

After reflecting on it, I'll admit my bias, I don't usually like having smell as a feature. But I think it fits the flavor too well to pass on, so as-is it should be good.

How would you feel about Int mod to bonus checks and saves for grappled and restrained and keep the other more fluffy abilities? I just don't see immunity to deafness and being able to break out of ropes/manacles as being enough to even really be excited about at level 10

I see what you're saying, but I think it's just too many things in one feature. It's rare to get so much in one level, especially for wizards. I still vote either/or.

Or as I was thinking about it more. Immune to grappled, advantage against restrained and immune to deafened. By level 10 wizards have lots and lots of ways to break a grapple as a bonus action, so it's not as powerful.

Like I said, Immunities are so powerful on PCs I'm really skeptical of it being an option, especially multiple. I understand 14 is supposed to be a big power boost, but this still feels a bit strong. Especially since grappled and restrained are really good tools for a DM to use on a spellcaster without killing them outright. I'm okay with immune to deafened, but I think we should lean to Int modifier against grapple and restrain checks. It's still really powerful, but not an outright removal.

nickl_2000
2018-09-17, 02:43 PM
I see what you're saying, but I think it's just too many things in one feature. It's rare to get so much in one level, especially for wizards. I still vote either/or.

Sounds to me like this one is to confusing/controversial to really work, and I'm not set on it since it's pull from a different place in the story. How do you feel about the other one I mentioned?

You didn't hear it
You didn't see it
You won't say nothing to no-one
Never in your life
You never heard it
Oh, how absurd it all seems
Without any proof
You won't say nothing to no one
At 10th level you can cast a memory charm over a creature of intelligence 6 or greater. They must make a wisdom save verses your spell save DC or have the last 10 minutes of their life completely erased from their memory.
This skill can be used once per long rest. As part of this you may come up with a replacement story for that time. It is the DMs perogative as to whether the creature believes the replacement story

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 06:53 AM
Alternately, this may actually work better. It boosts the overall effectiveness of the class and adds power without being out of control.

Never seen him fall...
Never seen him fall
At level 10, you may cast the feather fall spell at will. Additionally, you gain advantage on any save or check against a spell or effect that will knock you prone on failure.

Eragon123
2018-09-18, 08:01 AM
Alternately, this may actually work better. It boosts the overall effectiveness of the class and adds power without being out of control.

Never seen him fall...
Never seen him fall
At level 10, you may cast the feather fall spell at will. Additionally, you gain advantage on any save or check against a spell or effect that will knock you prone on failure.

I like that but maybe the at will feather fall should only be casted on himself.

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 08:05 AM
I like that but maybe the at will feather fall should only be casted on himself.

Done :) added in a clarity piece that you can cast it normally using a spell slot.