PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I have the plot, need the baddie

Jellyburd
2018-09-17, 01:14 PM
Long story short my players (x4 level 7s) are helping some mages in an enchanted forest. The forest is high in magical properties as it has an unusually close tie to the feywild. The party learned that the mages may be unintentionally harming a large tree (think the deku tree) in the fey wild.
While it is just a tree on the material plane it is linked to and alive in the feywild and acts as a protector from evil to a clan of elves.

The twist here is that while the mages are pulling magic energy from the tree, it isn't enough to harm it. A group of (unknown creatures/race) used the oppurtunity to tap into it as well. intentionally harming it so that its power would weaken and they could invade the forest in the feywild.

My question is, who might want to do this? The feywild is tricky to me and I want to stay loosely true to lore about creatures, but if I can't that's fine too.

I was thinking maybe Shadar Kai, trying to break free from the shadowfell. Or maybe Githyanki trying to expand from the Astral Plain to the Feywild.

The final requirement is that they must be willing to work with the drow. A single one in particular, as it ties to a players backstory. (the forest in the feywild will start showing the same decay as the forest he grew up in)

TL;DR
What race/creatures would be smart enough to weaken the defenses an elf city in the feywild without anybody knowing they are the ones behind it.
5e, x4 lvl 7 players

thanks!

Callak_Remier
2018-09-17, 01:17 PM
Rakshasa. They are adept at collapsing civilization and are immune to most magic

Unoriginal
2018-09-17, 01:21 PM
A Nagpa seems to be a prime candidate to me.

They're both known for siphoning power from things and for wanting to bring doom to large, magic-filled cities.

Jellyburd
2018-09-17, 01:28 PM
A Nagpa seems to be a prime candidate to me.

They're both known for siphoning power from things and for wanting to bring doom to large, magic-filled cities.

Thats a bit above their level. They are 4 players, level 7.
This is a large arc as it sets up for 2 of the players backstories, but its not the main one.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-09-17, 01:30 PM
The Illuminati. But the party can never find anybody directly tied to them. Only rumors and whispers and ancient hieroglyphics.

BlueHydra
2018-09-17, 01:31 PM
Rakshasa. They are adept at collapsing civilization and are immune to most magic

Love the Rakshasa idea.

Jellyburd
2018-09-17, 01:32 PM

that is an interesting idea, i'll look into it.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-17, 01:37 PM
Love the Rakshasa idea.

It helps having the elf's being mostly magic based since they would need the help against a threat immune to spells Below 6th lvl

Joe the Rat
2018-09-17, 02:42 PM
Rakshasa is definitely an inspired idea - good call Callak_Remier.

I do like the Nagpa, but it's not something they can defeat in combat (CR puts it at Deadly through level 12). It would do better as an overvillain - the man behind the man.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-17, 03:08 PM
Rakshasa is definitely an inspired idea - good call Callak_Remier.

I do like the Nagpa, but it's not something they can defeat in combat (CR puts it at Deadly through level 12). It would do better as an overvillain - the man behind the man.

The Rakshasa is definitely a Behind the scenes monster, but it depends on how you approach it. It could be very plausible that he has spy's and is aware of the PC's before they arrive on the scene. Acting against them wether that's stealing a spellbook, or a magical item.
Impersonating an important figure head and souring thier attitude towards that potential ally before they meet the actual figure head.
You should definitely have Powerful minions who will be taking the brunt of the swords and axes. Also any spellcaster who can cast 5th LVL spells makes a perfect lieutenant

qube
2018-09-17, 03:11 PM
Rakshasa.I can dig that. seems right up their alli

Other then that ... top of my head
the Unseelie Court (basically the evil fey.). couple of hags maybe.
Foromians (they are from the feydark ... basically feywild's underdark
they were among the most handsome of races, possessed of brilliant minds and unrivaled magic ability." However, their greed drove them in a quest to acquire all the magic of the Feywild. The other fey united in defense and defeated the fomorians. As they fell, "their bodies were warped to reflect the evil in their hearts."
followers of shar.
ye good ol' powerhungry red wizard of thay
followers of Cyric (the mad god, who's currently locked away for another 900 years ... if nobody breaks 'm free)
a yuan-ti pureblood trying to use a ritual that turns himself in an malison or abomination

Unoriginal
2018-09-17, 03:20 PM
You could say the Nagpa has to use most of their high-level spell slots for their plan, it'd diminish the CR enough.

Though Nagpas are far more "escape" monsters than "fight to the death". They lived for thousands of years and not one of them died.

Could have an emergency plane shift that activate if they go below a certain HP threshold, effectively banishing them for now.

Ganymede
2018-09-17, 03:22 PM
The Darklings and Darkling Elders featured in Volo's might serve as a good adversary.

Jellyburd
2018-09-17, 03:25 PM
Impersonating an important figure head and souring thier attitude towards that potential ally before they meet the actual figure head.

I really like this idea, the problem is they aren't strong enough yet. However, I suppose I can say once he is exposed he flees, coming back later as an ally to the future BBEG i've already hinted at or even just trying to kill whoever exposes it first disguised as some ally they get between then and now.. I think the call back to a creature they met 5 levels ago would be an amazing plot twist.

EDIT: I should say that they are just starting to acquire magic items so itd be a tough fight. This campaign started as a one shot from level 5 so i've barely worked in magic items yet.