PDA

View Full Version : Journal [MotW] Unnatural (Campaign Journal)

Zozoken
2018-09-17, 04:57 PM
Greetings, everyone! I'm running a private play-by-post game using the "Monster of the Week" system! It is a PbtA (Powered by the Apocalypse) system where you investigate a mystery and then fight a monster. Think Buffy: the Vampire Slayer or Supernatural. But there's a twist... none of the players know who the other players are! The players role-play what they want to do that week, and I type up the results as a script for a fake TV show called Unnatural.

Campaign Format
The campaign takes the concept of "Mystery Letters" from the rulebook and runs with it! Every Thursday night, I give every player information on what happened the previous week and a small form to fill out. The players have a week to respond. Role-playing is allowed and encouraged. There's an information "fog of war" of sorts, but players get the opportunity to work together by passing notes through me in order to accomplish their goals.

The Campaign Journal
As written above, I take all the information and type it out as if it were a script for a fictional TV show called Unnatural. There might be more to it than that, depending on the reception this gets. One idea I have is host fake interviews as if they are actors on a real TV show.

Fun Facts

Some players have taken on some unexpected roles, like creating monsters to fight, writing up pages of lore, or making NPCs in this world
It seems players really like the idea of screwing with the other players
This was originally going to be a serious Paranoia campaign

Feel free to post comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism about this campaign! I look forward to reading your feedback. Enjoy the show!