PDA

View Full Version : Delaying Magical Secrets

ATHATH
2018-09-17, 07:06 PM
I was recently looking over the Lore Bard subclass, and I noticed something interesting about (Additional) Magical Secrets.

Additional Magical Secrets
At 6th level, you learn two spells of your choice from any class. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip. The chosen spells count as bard spells for you but don't count against the number of bard spells you know.
A Wizard 1/Lore Bard 6 would have access to 4th level upcasted spells at level 7- could they take 4th level spells with Additional Magical Secrets?

The "as shown on the Bard table" bit seems worrying, but I'd like to hear the Playground's thoughts on this.

Side note: This sort of reminds me of the "take one level of a PrC" trick that Beguilers could pull in 3.5e to delay their Advanced Learning feature.

Aett_Thorn
2018-09-17, 07:11 PM
I don’t think this works by RAW. You determine spells you can cast for each class individually, and the. You get slots for the combined class, but doing that you still only know third level Bard spells, so you can only pick up to third level spells.

PhantomSoul
2018-09-17, 07:12 PM
I was recently looking over the Lore Bard subclass, and I noticed something interesting about (Additional) Magical Secrets.

A Wizard 1/Lore Bard 6 would have access to 4th level upcasted spells at level 7- could they take 4th level spells with Additional Magical Secrets?

The "as shown on the Bard table" bit seems worrying, but I'd like to hear the Playground's thoughts on this.

No; when you multiclass your gain spells separately -- like two single-classed characters whose total levels combined determines their spell slots. The spell needs to be of a level you can cast, rather than of a level for which you have slots. (Though that would still be computed separately, as per the multiclass rules.)

ATHATH
2018-09-17, 08:50 PM
No; when you multiclass your gain spells separately -- like two single-classed characters whose total levels combined determines their spell slots. The spell needs to be of a level you can cast, rather than of a level for which you have slots. (Though that would still be computed separately, as per the multiclass rules.)
Looking over the text for Additional Magic Secrets now, it looks very similar to the text for normal spells known, and the multiclass rules seem to not support my argument...

Darn.