PDA

View Full Version : Warlock fiend help

Whit
2018-09-17, 08:25 PM
To all warlocks. I have never played one.
Reason. I dislike the limited spell casting. So I would like to focus on pact of the blade
I want to go to at least 14th lvl. I love the description of creating a pact weapon as described in the PB.
So I would like to know for weapon purposes which patrons is good to choose from
Hexblade
Fiend etc.

Invocations will be weapon upgrades.
And should I consider dipping to another class
1 lvl up to 6 ?
e.g. fighter paladin for heavy armor or go dex based
Rogue for sneak attack
Etc.
thanks.

Erys
2018-09-17, 09:15 PM
So...

You are wanting people in the Playground to make your character for you?

Joe the Rat
2018-09-17, 10:22 PM
What do you want to do? Heavy, skirmisher, magic knight, eldritch archer, jedi knight... there's a lot of options.

Whit
2018-09-18, 12:26 AM
I was thinking sword board heavy armor like a fighter. But if I get improve pact weapon it gets rid of the range aspect of it. So maybe dex based be ranged bow and switch to melee if they reach me?

bid
2018-09-18, 12:55 AM
I was thinking sword board heavy armor like a fighter. But if I get improve pact weapon it gets rid of the range aspect of it. So maybe dex based be ranged bow and switch to melee if they reach me?
Start fighter 1 to get heavy armor and Con save, or paladin 2 for just heavy armor.
Then bladelock for improved pact weapon.

Heavy armor forces you to have Str15, or you don't do better than medium armor (unless you can waste a feat on mobile). You roughly end up with old style Str bladelock using a 2-hander. But you can pick any patron.

New style is Hexblade patron, but then you can SAD into Cha with Dex14 and medium armor. This takes care of any weapon, melee or ranged, when you pick the invocation.

It comes down to which flavor you want:
- Str16 / Con14 / Cha16 fighter 1, heavy armor with 4 ASI to cap Str/Cha, but no Dex for ranged attack.
- Dex14 / Con14 / Cha16 pure warlock, medium armor with 2 ASI to cap Cha, using Cha for all attacks. You could still start fighter 1 with Str12 or less, and switch to heavy once you grab mobile.