PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] - Eldritch Sculptor

Edea
2007-09-15, 07:55 PM
Eldritch Sculptor

Background Information:
Intent: A Warlock who specializes in sculpting and otherwise manipulating the spatial qualities of eldritch blasts.

Quote: "Simply expelling magical energy, without any thought to form or function, is like randomly throwing lumps of clay together and hoping to acheive the perfect work of art. A warlock needs to take the chaos inside of her and tame it, mold it; only then will she realize just how versatile, how beautiful that energy can be."

Background: Usually the warlock is an archetypal loner; he or she is feared and misunderstood due to the nature of the power a warlock wields, and what end it's normally put to (wanton ray blasting). However, some larger cities have enough warlocks secreted away inside of them that they are capable of making consistent contact with one another. This occurs behind the facade of an "Eldritch Fine Arts" college, with initiation examinations designed to weed out warlock candidates from other arcane spellcasters (even the most powerful of archmages can't call upon their powers as many times in a long period as a warlock can) and keep the rest of the world out of their business.

It is in these relatively small covens that those warlocks not possessed of a more ill-natured bent can hone the craft of projecting their spirit into the physical world with the advice and assistance of their peers. Many lessons begin with the act of actually studying about or creating three-dimensional works of fine art, succeeded by specific training in controlling and refining a warlock's spatial abilities. Once they learn how to hold their personal energy in a perfect sphere without actually expending any further magical energy to maintain it, they are considered successful graduates.

Graduates of such "magic schools" are official eldritch sculptors, though ranks are highly informal and presented almost entirely as a matter of personal merit (seeing as virtually everyone in the organization nearly embodies chaos). Sometimes the coven moves to a new location, in order to avoid eliciting suspicion as to their activities (especially from wizards and other preparative casters irate at the fact that they did not qualify to study there). The sculptor is free to adventure and otherwise live life as desired, save for intermittently checking in with his fellow initiates (read: adventure hook).

Prereq/Basic Information:

Requirements:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alignment: Chaotic good or chaotic neutral.
Feats: Ability Focus (eldritch blast), Weapon Focus (ray)
Skills: Craft (sculpture) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 13 ranks, Use Magic Device 13 ranks.
Invocations: Must know at least three blast shape invocations.
Special: Eldritch Blast +5d6, must pass test at an appropriate "Eldritch Fine Arts" college.

Intended Entry: Warlock 10 or Warlock 5/Invoking PrC 5.

Hit Die: d4.

Class Skills: Same as normal Warlock minus the Bluff skill, 2 + Int modifier.

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies: Eldritch sculptors gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Crunch Table:
ELDRITCH SCULPTOR
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Eldritch Orb|+1 level of invocation using class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Eldritch Burst|+1 level of invocation using class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Eldritch Mist|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Eldritch Wall|+1 level of invocation using class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Eldritch Bomb|+1 level of invocation using class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Eldritch Shell|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Eldritch Surge|+1 level of invocation using class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eldritch Blow|+1 level of invocation using class

9th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+6|Eldritch Item|-

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Eldritch Clone|+1 level of invocation using class[/table]

Ability Descriptions:
Eldritch Orb (Sp): Blast becomes an orb approximately one foot across. Requires a ranged touch attack to hit, as normal. Due to the method by which you form the eldritch orb, it ignores spell resistance, and is not affected by effects which normally suppress magic, such as an antimagic field. Effective level: 6th.

Eldritch Burst (Sp): Blast becomes a tiny mote, that when launched streaks to the specified point and explodes in a 40 foot radius spread. You lose the requirement of making a ranged touch attack, instead allowing a Reflex save for half. Treat range as Long. Effective level: 6th.

Eldritch Mist (Sp): Blast becomes a fog. This functions as a solid fog spell, in addition to dealing half of your normal eldritch blast damage for every round spent in the fog. The eldritch mist can be dismissed by you before the end of its duration as a move-equivalent action. While the eldritch mist is in effect, you cannot use your eldritch blast, though you may use your other invocations as normal. Effective level: 7th.

Eldritch Wall (Sp): Blast becomes a wall. You may fill one 5 foot square with your eldritch wall per caster level. You can make the wall hard or soft; the decision must be made at the time of invoking this blast shape, applies to all squares filled, and cannot be changed until the eldritch wall expires (lasts for 10 minutes/casterlevel) or is dismissed (a move-equivalent action).

If you choose to make a hard eldritch wall, the squares function on each side as a wall of force, save that gaze affects cannot pass through any of the occupied squares, and disintegrate fails to function against it (though a rod of cancellation, sphere of annihilation, or Mordenkainen's Disjunction will affect it as normal). The squares must be contiguous, but they do not have to form a solid sheet; for example, you can form a path of curving squares across a chasm in order to walk across it.

If you choose to make a soft eldritch wall, the squares function on each side as a prismatic wall, save that instead of the wall's usual effects, anyone other than you passing through a filled square incurs one half of your normal eldritch blast damage (Will half) and is affected by any eldritch essence you chose to place on the wall at the time of invoking. The squares need to be contiguous but do not need to form a solid sheet.

While an eldritch wall is in effect, you cannot use your eldritch blast, though you may use other invocations as normal. Effective level: 7th.

Eldritch Bomb (Sp): Blast becomes a handful of small spheres. You receive one sphere per two caster levels. These spheres can be physically (or magically) placed in any location so long as the eldritch bomb can fit (each has the dimensions of a caltrop). They can be affected by spells of the Illusion school without activating them. These spheres last until triggered or until you command them to detonate (a move-equivalent action). Commanding the bombs to detonate has no range limit (it even functions across planar boundaries).

An eldritch bomb is triggered whenever enough force to damage a caltrop is delivered to it (including the blast of another eldritch bomb), or whenever a creature of size Small or larger (other than you) passes within 30 feet
of it (treat the bombs as having blindsight and blindsense out to that range). Upon being triggered, an eldritch bomb detonates, dealing full eldritch blast damage and inflicting the effects of any eldritch essence
invocation in place on it to all within 30 feet (allows a Reflex save for half). Multiple bombs going off in an overlapping AoE do not stack, though each forces a saving throw (take worst of all the saving throw results).

Command detonation causes all the bombs to go off simultaneously. You cannot use your eldritch blast until all of the bombs have been detonated, but you can use other invocations as normal. Eldritch bombs can also be tossed as grenade weapons (you are unaffected if you happened to be included in the blast radius). Effective level: 8th.

Eldritch Shell (Sp): Blast becomes a spherical shell, centered on you and extending out to 30 feet. Eldritch shells only last as long as you concentrate on them (standard action). While the shell is up, creatures with an attitude of Hostile towards you cannot pass through it or approach within 30 feet of you, though ranged attacks and spells can pass through the barrier normally in both directions. This allowance also extends to your allies.

Anyone with an attitude of Hostile towards you that is caught in the area of the shell when it is invoked is immediately shunted to its outer edge, being dealt 1d6 points of damage per five feet traveled on top of the damage
normally dealt by your eldritch blast (plus the effect of any eldritch essence invocation you applied beforehand). They then fall prone in an available empty space immediately outside of the shell of your choice. If there are not
enough empty spaces available on the outer edge of the shell for hostile targets to end up in, you cannot erect the shell and the invocation is wasted.

While maintaining an Eldritch Shell, you cannot use your eldritch blast, though you may use other invocations as normal, provided you have some way of using them without losing concentration on the shell. Effective level: 8th.

Eldritch Surge (Sp): Blast becomes a wave of corrupting energy, affecting the square in front of you and a number of possible squares to either side of that one equal to one half your caster level, rounded down (so a 10th level warlock/7th level eldritch sculptor could affect (17/2 = 8, 8 x 2 + 1 = up to 17 total squares arranged in a horizontal line in front of and centered on him) and moving forward in a straight line out to a number feet equal to 10 x your caster level (so that same 17th level warlock would send the wave out to 170 feet). You can make the wave shorter/smaller than your maximum limit, but it must remain symmetrical/move in 10 foot increments.

The damage dealt by the wave is 1 point per die of eldritch blast damage you possess (on top of any eldritch essence invocation you decided to use beforehand). Creatures one size category larger than you or smaller are
immediately blown away to the edge of the wave's effect unless they succeed on a Reflex save (negating the push and halving the damage dealt) and are then knocked prone. Creatures too large to be blown away are instead knocked prone at their current location (again unless they succeed on a Reflex save). Effective level: 8th.

Eldritch Blow (Sp): As hideous blow, except that this blast shape is invoked as a swift action, and can be applied to all melee attacks made during that round. You must wait for one round after using this blast shape to use eldritch blast again. Effective level: 7th.

Eldritch Item (Sp): Blast becomes a temporary 'nonmagical' item. The item cannot be larger than the next size category above your own (so a Medium size Warlock cannot make an Eldritch Item bigger than Large), but it can be as small as Fine if desired. The item created functions as its normal counterpart would, except that the eldritch item is, for all intents and purposes, weightless.

Treat any tools/items generated by this as masterwork, if appropriate (but they do not carry any sort of magical bonus, nor can they be targeted by spells or other magical effects). You cannot create limited use items (such as most alchemy products, food, or water). Only you can use your eldritch items, and you can only have one in existence at any given time. If you are generating weapons or armor, the rules for proficiency still apply (so you would suffer a -4 penalty to attack with a spiked chain generated using eldritch chain unless you had the corresponding feat). Using eldritch item is a full round action.

While an eldritch item is being used, you cannot use your eldritch blast, though you may use other invocations as normal.

Effective level: 6th.

Eldritch Clone (Sp): The culmination of your ability to manipulate chaotic eldritch energies, you fashion a clone of yourself out of your eldritch blast. Using eldritch clone takes a full round action. The clone forms in a square adjacent to your own (if no such square is available, you cannot use this blast shape). It does not have access to any equipment you possess and cannot use magic items. It is easy to tell the clone apart from yourself, and it is immune to magic that allows for a saving throw. Barring these differences, it has the same statistics you do. You can transfer damage taken by the clone to yourself as an immediate action, but not the other way around. The clone remains until destroyed (treat as a construct, so it falls when its hit points reach 0) or dismissed by you (move-equivalent action).

You maintain mental contact with your clone at all times while it is in existence. You perceive the world as it does. The clone only stays in existence for as long as you concentrate (a standard action). You can mentally command the clone (subsumed into the action of concentration required to maintain it) to move around up to (need a good range here) away from you. It moves at the same rate you normally would barring external assistance (so if you had a movement bonus from race, for example, the clone would keep it, but not one being granted by a spell or magic item).

If the clone encounters another creature, it will behave the way you command it to (to the best of its ability), using its own initiative and actions. It can make use of your eldritch blast and any invocations up to one grade lower than the highest grade you are capable of invoking, as well as take actions normally available to you regardless of class (attack, parley, use skills/feats, retreat, etc.). However, it cannot make use of any other class special abilities you may have besides bonus feats (for example, it can use Fighter bonus feats you may possess, but it can't sneak attack enemies, since that is not a warlock class ability and not a bonus feat).

You cannot use any invocations or move from your current square while invoking an eldritch clone (though the clone can use your eldritch blast and invocations normally). You are essentially unaware of your surroundings, as if you were under the effect of an astral projection spell. Effective level: 9th.

Where I'm at with this:
"Step 6," so to speak. The PrC is currently at its maximum power level. The prerequisites aren't exactly trivial even for the typical Warlock (let alone anyone else), and the class is supposed to cap out at 20th level.

Eh, I was feeling very snippy when I wrote this, so I took most of it out. Here's the relevant part.

Some suggestions for the PrC I'm quite open to are:
=========================================
*changing the invocation class progression (changed from full to 7/10).

*instead of simply awarding all abilities in the current order, award the generic class ability "Refined Blast" at some other progression rate, and then proceed to say that whenever you get that ability, you can choose any of the blast shapes in the Ability Description block which you qualify for (the vast majority are either Greater or Dark).

*rewriting ability descriptions or simply removing/replacing abilities entirely.
This in particular targets the last couple of shapes (you start making some pretty weird stuff, but it's meant to help out at those high levels).

*capping; the one cap I refuse to use is "1/day" or anything stronger than that. I despise 1/day abilities (there really isn't much mechanical reasoning behind this, I just feel cheated whenever I get one of these). If you sincerely think 1/day or longer is required, just tell me how you'd think to rewrite the ability so it doesn't, or suggest removal/replacement.

*prerequisites: it's quite possible these aren't stringent enough for what the class gives you. If that's the case, recommend some alternatives for qualification.

*fluff/flavor. Not so much revisions, more along the lines of additions. Perhaps the PrC doesn't seem particularly plausible; if you think that, tell me why.

It's a bit of a read, but any help is welcome and appreciated. In particular, I'd like to get this to the point where other people who are 'interested' in actually using it feel that they could get their GM to allow it into their respective campaigns.

JackMage666
2007-09-15, 08:13 PM
While, I know you said you would ignore any comments not related to full casters (which are generally so broken, it would be no fun if every single class were as poweful as they are), it does seem a little bit wrong that this gets so many Invocations (far more than a Warlock 20, by 10 Invocations).
So, here's my suggestions to it. 10 Invocations (though they are blast shapes) is a pretty nice thing to get, as well as every invocation a Warlock 20 would get. My suggestion is to lessen this just a bit, making the increase to caster level somewhere like 7/10th instead of full. He'll still get Dark Invocations, though 1 or 2 levels behind a regular Warlock (which make sense, because they put so much focus on Blast Shapes), and he'll be missing I think 1 Invocation total, one of the strongest ones (fair, considering Warlock 20 is awfully unrewarding, and at least he'll get 3 Dark Invocations rather than 2).
Yes, I know - Warlock isn't a full caster. But full caster's arn't balanced anyway. This should be a fair wair to have a powerful PrC, without making it the Absolute option for Warlocks to go.

With that said, I'd love to play this PrC. It seems like it would be tremendously fun. I just think the balancing factor I suggested would help this a bit. 10 Invocations for the price of 1? Sounds good to me.

Edea
2007-09-15, 08:18 PM
Ah, but I am more than open to that suggestion. Actually, I dunno whether to use 7/10, 5/10, or even just drop the progression entirely (that's a bit drastic tbh).

For now I'll go with 7/10, thanks for your input :D

Eighth_Seraph
2007-09-15, 11:29 PM
Eldritch Clone can be far too powerful if, well, if it's used. Does the clone have the ability to use invocations? Explain it a bit better so we can see what its capabilities are.

Eldritch Item will likewise leave many DMs balding prematurely with the free creation of items like a Staff of Power until the Sculptor needs the XP back to level up.

All in all, it's a very good idea. Though I don't have access to the warlock, I've done some projects involving invocations on these forums in the past, and these look very nice. I especially like the beautiful annihilation that lies within Eldritch Bomb. However, if you're going to post something on here, then tell us not to tell you that it's overpowered, then I see no reason for you to be posting here at all. Those last two abilities are just waiting to be exploited, even by core rules, and can break a game in the hands of a halfway canny player. The fact that other classes can break a game in the hands of even an idiotic player doesn't do much to change this, either.

Edea
2007-09-15, 11:45 PM
I'm fine with someone saying 'overpowered,' I'd just really like to see the reasoning why after someone says it. I'm just used to reading "this thing is broke," and then little to no explanation. That cheeses me off, especially seeing as a third of the core classes have far more capability than a warlock, even one that took this prestige class :( . But yes, I definitely still want comments.

Ideas on the last two abilities so far (currently in use in the OP):For eldritch item, the main thing is that only one can be in existence at any given time since you can't use eldritch blast while it's in existence. Actually, I COULD just have it create nonmagical objects, such as chairs and ladders and such, but a Warlock that takes this isn't going to get Imbue Item, and I wanted to be a bit more creative than just re-spoonfeeding the ability to the character. Either that or make it a much more costly investiture than experience points/have it involved in some way with UMD/put a cap on how valuable an item you can conjure up and invest XP in.

Eldritch clone does indeed make a functional duplicate of yourself. However, the warlock himself still can't use eldritch blast while this is out (and therefore neither can the clone), and since he's most likely a character who is a near-homogeneous warlock, the main thing you can send through it are other invocations. Perhaps, instead of it mimicking your actions, I can have it as a concentration ability; you can have it scout out up to a certain range away from you, and maybe I can put a cap on the Grade of invocation available to it from your repertoire (it would use the invocation at your command, obviously, instead of copying/effectively doubling the number of invocations you pump out).

Also, removing the stuff in the last block. But please, for the love of the Twelve Gods, follow the example of the people nice enough to comment so far and give reasons for comments/suggestions, they help a great deal.

appending_doom
2007-09-18, 05:43 AM
Is it entirely within your intended power level for an eldritch sculptor to be able to summon weapons of any material (silver, adamantine, etc) he chooses? Not that I really have an opinion on the power of such an effect, but it is a consequence of the class (unintended or not).

-574N

AKA_Bait
2007-09-18, 07:56 AM
Why the alignment restriction?

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 09:22 AM
Does Eldritch Blast damage increase as well? There's no stat block for its progression, only invocation progression.

EDIT: I like it, but I'd like to see it in action before I say it's over/under-powered.

Edea
2007-09-18, 10:02 AM
The alignment restriction is due to the flavor text; so, if you're not using a 'college' to educate the members of this PrC (or if the college you're envisioning either doesn't have that restriction, or specifically attracts evil warlocks) by all means change it. It's NOT a mechanics factor.

The objects the sculptor creates with eldritch item are all made out of eldritch blast energy. They don't count as being made of any normal material, even common iron, wood, or leather, so on its own it wouldn't bypass DR (but on that note, spells such as a druid's repel metal or wood would be useless against them). A successfully targetted dispel magic or similar effect will simply cause the object to vanish.

However, while a warlock's eldricth blast certainly isn't one of his natural attacks from a mechanical perspective, I would feel comfortable allowing a sculptor's items to bypass DR as if they were made of cold iron (still thinking about that one). OH, and the items do NOT transfer eldritch blast damage, in case anyone was curious (that'd be a bit borked, lol).

And, since you can only have one at a time, you can't effectively create most ranged weapons using this ability (for example, you can fashion a bow, but you'll need arrows). I might end up having to make a very specific list, but in all honesty you're not getting this ability until 19th character level, so...

Yah, I thought invocation progression included eldritch blast dice, and I'm not sure whether I can add that text block or not on this forum. It DOES increase eldritch blast damage, yes (I don't think the skips in the progression are that big of a hit, either, especially considering monstrosities such as Hellfire Warlock).

Thanks for commenting :D