PDA

View Full Version : Sling thunderstone question

Yamatohekatsue
2018-09-17, 11:43 PM
Ok I'm making An artificer for an up coming game, and had a question about setup.
I picked alchemist Wich let's me get 3 formula the alchemist fire, and alchemist acid, plus one of my choice and I picked the thunderstone so I will have a variety of attacks
As starting equipment I can have (a) a handaxe and a light hammer or (b) any two simple weapons
I know a sling is a simple weapon.
The sling only deals 1D4+Dex damage
And the thunderstone says it As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist’s Satchel and pull out a crystalline shard and hurl it at a creature, object, or surface within 30 feet of you (the shard disappears if you don’t hurl it by the end of the current turn). The shard shatters on impact with a blast of concussive energy. Each creature within 10 feet of the point of impact must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be knocked prone and pushed 10 feet away from that point.
Now I know that is raw
But first I wanted to know even though it says as an action I can pull and hurl the stone, can I hurl it with a sling? Or does it mean hurl as in tossing or throwing the stone?
If using the stone with a sling do you add the 1D4+Dex?
Another question is I know you can buy bottles of alchemist's fire can you do the same for acid, or thunderstones? Or is there a way to craft them without using my satchel to make temporary ones?

My end goal is to have basicly to have a second pouch that holds permanent versions of the formula I have picked either for a teammate to use or for use in making improvised traps, while having the satchel to make them on the fly for combat
But I wanted to know if the sling+thunderstone could work if so I would pick it because even though the stone doesn't deal any damage the sling would, if it can't be used then I would pick something else up.
P.S. what other items can a sling potentially use to deal either damage or use of other effect, I know the spell magic stone let's a sling deal 1D6+ Caster spell modifier indead of 1D4
If I pick the sling I want the most versatility I can get from it.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-17, 11:52 PM
Really, the only person who can answer your questions is your GM.

Yamatohekatsue
2018-09-18, 01:12 AM
Really, the only person who can answer your questions is your GM.

Well I'm asking g for anything in the terms of RAW that help with my choices I know my DM has final say but I can still plan for potential optimized builds based off RAW and RAI

Yamatohekatsue
2018-09-18, 02:57 AM
I think I found d the awnser to my own question the Tavern Brawler feat grants advantage on improvised attacks, and makes those attacks deal 1D4, because of this slings can use improvised ammunition and they already deal 1D4 it's the same damage over all.

JDanton
2018-09-18, 06:16 AM
Improvised weapons and improvised ammunition are not the same thing, a sling deals 1d4+dex no matter what is fired out of it, whether or not you're proficient with improvised weapons. As for whether or not the or not the thunderstone would work with it, there are no specific RAW for it and it really depends on what your DM rules is fair and thematic. I'd rule against the thunderstone being used in this way since the item description specifies that you "throw" the item for it t activate, also using the sling in this way allows you to potentially fire the thunderstone up to 120ft which isn't how the item is intended to be used, however I'd still say you can fire the thunderstone out of the sling it would just be considered a normal stone and wouldn't activate.

TheFryingPen
2018-09-18, 06:24 AM
RAW there's no specification what could be used as ammunition, but the only things specifically mentioned / allowed are the ammunition items which clearly state they are ammunition and the pebbles created by the Magic Stone cantrip.

Also RAW, the alchemist's stachel items are supposed to be thrown and just do what's described in their effects.

So, as ImproperJustice said, you'd have to ask your DM.

I think I found d the awnser to my own question the Tavern Brawler feat grants advantage on improvised attacks, and makes those attacks deal 1D4, because of this slings can use improvised ammunition and they already deal 1D4 it's the same damage over all.

Tavern brawler does not give advantage on attacks with improvised weapons, it makes you proficient with them. However, depending on your DM, you might already be able to have your proficiency added to your attack and/or use a higher damage die. When you plan to use an improvised weapon continuously it's not really improvised any more, it's just unlisted. Your DM should probably just add it as a homebrew weapon and adjust the effects/values to be what your table considers balanced.
Tavern brawler also does not allow you to use improvised ammunition, this is not something supported by RAW. There are rules for improvised weapons, but not for improvised ammunition.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-18, 10:50 AM
Yeah. Sorry I wasn’t more detailed in my original response.
I think you are going way outside the bounds of RAW with an unofficial class, so your GM will have to be the one to help parse these things out with you.

Side note: I love the alchemist, and hope you have as much fun lobbing thunderstones as I did with mine.
Tossing behind the enemy so they get blown prone in front of your fighters is great.
It can also be an emergency eacape option for yourself when surrounded. I have intentionally failed my own save so I could get blown back from being surrounded while avoiding reaction attacks.

strangebloke
2018-09-18, 11:07 AM
RAW, no.

the trigger for the detonation is a throw, not a sling.

But it might be perfectly reasonable for your DM to allow this. Just remember, using that same logic, if you miss, he'd be within his rights to make the thunderstone go off a few feet away from the target, potentially hitting an ally. Furthermore, this logic could justify the "You fall prone, roll a DEX save to avoid breaking your twelve flasks of acid" style of DMing.