PDA

View Full Version : Highlander fighting style

qube
2018-09-18, 12:35 AM
(based on this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Wh8KeAPmg))
Benefits
You can use a smaller shield on your arm, and combine it with holding a dagger ( 1:17 )

your shield AC is reduced by 1
you can use your bonus action to make off-hand attack with the dagger. if you do, you lose the bonus to AC of your shield until the start of your next turn.

you can use your shield to hammer down in a blocked attack ( 4:45 )
usable only when wielding a one-handed weapon in one hand and shield (possibly with dagger) in the other
when you've taken the attack action and miss your last attack, you can spend your bonus action to reroll the attack. if you do, you lose the bonus to AC of your shield until the start of your next turn.

Thoughts?

JackPhoenix
2018-09-18, 01:43 AM
Unnecessarily fiddly and already pretty much covered by Dual Wielder feat.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-09-18, 02:40 AM
Agreed. There's too much going on and it's too specific. I don't really think new fighting styles are necessary here.

(also, I love the comments on the video. "this video is entirely inaccurate. Neither of those men appear to be drunk, and it isn't raining, therefore this is not an accurate portrayal of Highland combat.")

GlenSmash!
2018-09-18, 12:30 PM
Doesn't help at all will cutting someone's head off and absorbing their power.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-09-18, 03:06 PM
Now that gives me an idea... :smallamused:

JackPhoenix
2018-09-18, 11:52 PM

How do you think XP works?

Angelalex242
2018-09-19, 06:36 AM
Don't leave home without a vorpal sword. All Highlanders get one by default.

MrStabby
2018-09-19, 08:24 AM
Whilst I was living in the highlands I only ever saw one fight. And that was with improvised weapons (broken bottle). I feel tavern brawler is probably the feat you want to go for.

Asmotherion
2018-09-19, 08:33 AM
My thoughts exactly. XD

Legendairy
2018-09-19, 09:14 AM

This, so much so, we had refluffed our Birthright campaign back in AD&D days to mirror the movies and series....good times.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-19, 11:22 AM
How do you think XP works?

Don't know. We use milestone leveling.

Thrudd
2018-09-19, 12:32 PM
The combat in the video is covered by the abstraction of proficiencies, AC and attack rolls. What is depicted in the video is called "using a shield", and it's why having a shield increases your AC. You can use videos like this to improve your narration of how combat plays out, but it doesn't need any extra rules. The game abstracts all those techniques into weapon and shield proficiency already- there's nothing special going on that needs new rules to depict it.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-19, 01:01 PM
The combat in the video is covered by the abstraction of proficiencies, AC and attack rolls. What is depicted in the video is called "using a shield", and it's why having a shield increases your AC. You can use videos like this to improve your narration of how combat plays out, but it doesn't need any extra rules. The game abstracts all those techniques into weapon and shield proficiency already- there's nothing special going on that needs new rules to depict it.

Well said.

qube
2018-09-20, 04:54 AM
The combat in the video is covered by the abstraction of proficiencies, AC and attack rolls. What is depicted in the video is called "using a shield", and it's why having a shield increases your AC.I'll have to disagree with you on that, because I specifically touch on two of the video's techniques which are, not by the D&D rules, nor by RL generic shield techniques*, possible
using an off hand weapon in your shield hand**
using your shield in increase your attack/damage (the shock of a shields momentum against the sword is not something you can just reproduce with an empty of odd-hand. nor a bigger shield to bulky to attempt it)
In fact, the existance of the shield mastery feat disproves the "oh, anything with a shield is just abstracted into proficiency, AC, ..."

*: as reenactor, I don't see myself doing any of those two techniques with my kite shield.
opposite to, for instance, keeping your sword arm protected with your shield when striking
** to effectively attack, opposite to having a back-up axe nearby

GlenSmash!
2018-09-20, 09:49 AM
I'll have to disagree with you on that, because I specifically touch on two of the video's techniques which are, not by the D&D rules, nor by RL generic shield techniques*, possible
using an off hand weapon in your shield hand**
using your shield in increase your attack/damage (the shock of a shields momentum against the sword is not something you can just reproduce with an empty of odd-hand. nor a bigger shield to bulky to attempt it)
In fact, the existance of the shield mastery feat disproves the "oh, anything with a shield is just abstracted into proficiency, AC, ..."

*: as reenactor, I don't see myself doing any of those two techniques with my kite shield.
opposite to, for instance, keeping your sword arm protected with your shield when striking
** to effectively attack, opposite to having a back-up axe nearby

You can easily draw a backup axe as an object interaction. Whether you pull it from your shield hand is entirely up to you.