PDA

View Full Version : Droch's Warbringer [Arcanum]

Dhavaer
2007-09-15, 08:03 PM
Can anyone tell me where you find the schematic for this gun, and what the components are?

13_CBS
2007-09-15, 08:16 PM
Ah, the warbringer.

You need a Large Bore Vendigrothian rifle and an Ancient Chassis, both of which can be found in the Vendigroth ruins (RUINS, not wastes!). Same can be said of the schematic; hunt around in the ruins for the schematics. IIRC, it's in a chest somewhere...(not ver specific, I know, but at least you won't have to look through corpses, random loot piles, or garbage cans for it).

Ooh, something from gamefaqs:

"Past the altar is what turns out to be a laboratory that is overrun with
Automatons. In the eastern part of the lab is Vendigroth Key 4, which opens
a door in the SW part of the lab that leads to a Chest containing a Droch's
Warbringer Schematic."

whole guide is here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/914155/16191

Search for the Warbringer.

Dhavaer
2007-09-15, 08:38 PM
Awesometastic. Sad you can't get it a little earlier, though.

13_CBS
2007-09-15, 09:17 PM
Well, it IS the most powerful gun in the game...:smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-09-15, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but mages can start with Harm and get Disintegrate by level 20. Poor, poor technologists...

What kind of ammo does the Warbringer use?

13_CBS
2007-09-16, 07:48 AM
As with almost any other gun, just bullets.

...don't ask.

At least you'r not using the Blade Launcher (think mechanical crossbow), which ALSO somehow uses bullets :smalleek: (and how! it's like 5 bullets per shot).

Edit: True. IIRC, the game leans more towards magic than tech in terms of power, and sometimes convenience. Teleportation FTW!

Dhavaer
2007-09-16, 09:48 AM
I thought it would use fuel, somehow.

The really powerful characters seem to be warrior mages. I just started a soulless half-elf, and she tears through anything except those fire golems (the name escapes me, the red rock things), which I think were higher level than her.

13_CBS
2007-09-16, 10:42 AM
Hmmm...were those creeping masses? I forget. But I know what you're talking about.

As for fuel as ammunition...IIRC, only very few guns use fuel as ammo. Flamethrowers, obviously, but besides that, they all use bullets.

Oh, try using a tech warrior next time. Pyro axes are DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY. Also, from my experience they don't get damaged very easily, if at all (by level 20 I could solo ore golems just by running up to them and smacking them. My pyro axe never got damaged either :smallbiggrin: )

Dhavaer
2007-09-16, 06:02 PM
Bronwyck's Gun uses fuel, and it has the same chassis as the Warbringer.

Where do you get the Pyro Axe schematic?

Beleriphon
2007-09-16, 09:58 PM
Where do you get the Pyro Axe schematic?

I think its a random purchase from the technologists around the cities. I know I found one with the dwarf gunsmith in Tarrant.

13_CBS
2007-09-17, 06:53 PM
A more reliable (but MUCH more dangerous) way to get it is to get to that one gnome's house in Tarant...he's like the Master of Persuasion and has an office at the main administrative building near Bate's house in Tarant. In his back room there is a trapdoor, and under that trapdoor are three mech spiders (:smalleek: ) and a few other stuff, among them the Pyro axe schematics.

Very easy to make; just a featherweight axe (3rd or 4th in the normal smithing line) plus fuel.

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-18, 01:15 AM
This is the game where disintegrate kills pretty much everything even if they make their save isn't it?

Dhavaer
2007-09-18, 01:28 AM
There is no save for disintegrate. It kills anything except the BBEG.

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-18, 02:11 AM
Really? Been awhile since I played it but I think I remember something about there been a save for half damage but since the actual damage amount is ridiculously high, it doesn't matter.

Dhavaer
2007-09-18, 02:38 AM
No, that's D&D. In Arcanum, Disintegrate just kills.

13_CBS
2007-09-18, 06:45 AM
Yep. Cheapest spell ever.

Try this:

Build a mage, any mage, with 20 or so Dex. Then get all of the Force spells (and thus Disintigrate), travel to Tulla, and train under the Force master.

Then turn on Turn Based Combat if you haven't already.

Your super high Dex gives you both lots of action points (so many castings of Disintigration) plus a high chance to go first. If you're attacking opponents that aren't expecting you to attack, then more the better.

Start combat. Cast disintigrate as many times as possible. Once you run out of action points, turn off Turn Based Combat, and finish the job.

You are guaranteed at least 3-4 kills this way without them even getting to react.

Triaxx
2007-09-18, 06:27 PM
Hmm... I'll have to try this game again after I get my new computer running. I'm only waiting on the Mobo and Processor.

13_CBS
2007-09-18, 07:56 PM
Y'know, I'm surprised that people actually still play this game. :smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2007-09-19, 07:48 AM
First time through, I was advised to play tech, and use the boomerang as my early offensive weapon. Fine.

Tried to stop the bank robbery and ended up slaughtered by the townsfolk.

Shikton
2007-09-19, 08:16 AM
First time through, I was advised to play tech, and use the boomerang as my early offensive weapon. Fine.

Tried to stop the bank robbery and ended up slaughtered by the townsfolk.

Heh, not surprised. Personally I went with swords. Swords kill things. They're fun. And I slaughtered the robbers easily, with little help from Virgil.

Dhavaer
2007-09-19, 08:22 AM
I started with magic. Dark necromancy, to be exact. Arcanum is likely the first game I ever played where my first character had an essentially optimal build. Elf + Harm + high Beauty = win. Going for Quench Life instead of Disintegrate was a mistake, though.

Cubey
2007-09-19, 08:31 AM
Really? Been awhile since I played it but I think I remember something about there been a save for half damage but since the actual damage amount is ridiculously high, it doesn't matter.

From a mechanical point of view, Disintegrate doesn't kill stuff, it deals ridiculous damage that one-shots everything (except for the final boss who is immune). As for magic resistance:
You have a % chance to resist magical effects that is equal to your technological affinity. If you resist a damage spell, damage you receive is reduced by 1-x%, where x = technological affinity.

So a 100% tech character has Disintegrate's damage on them reduced by 1-100%, which means they still have a fairly high chance of being one-shotted. This game is VERY unbalanced when it gets to magic vs technology.

EDIT: Oh, and.

Y'know, I'm surprised that people actually still play this game.
Same here. Not because the game is old, but because it simply isn't that good. It had potential to be great, but wasted it.

13_CBS
2007-09-19, 04:15 PM
Yeah...it had such a cool storyline and setting, but the combat was subpar.

More on tech: has anyone ever managed to build an automaton? Those things are SO cool.:smallbiggrin:

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-19, 07:45 PM
Yea, the combat system might not be that great but there's few games out there that has tried combine magic with technology and that's what attracted me to this in the first place. And the storyline certainly isn't that bad either compared with some of the other games out there.

Mech tech with gun smithy was the first character I tried but I lost my first automaton before I got to test it much because of pathing problems :smalltongue:

13_CBS
2007-09-20, 11:37 PM
Is anyone else kinda frightened about how powerful a Droch would be in real life? Same penetrating power and damage as an elephant gun, but is semiautomatic and somewhat easy to conceal :smalleek:

Tom_Violence
2007-09-23, 01:14 PM
I found that one of the most powerful characters I ever made was a backstabber with turned based switched on. Once you get your DEX up to stupid levels, and a dagger of speed (which are everywhere), you just nip round the back of someone and have at it. Damage is massive, and you get so many action points since it only costs you a single one to stab someone (I think). I found it a very fun alternative to the more traditional sword-mage dealy.

I generally find playing magic to be easier (i.e. less hassle) in this game, simply because of Teleport really. Technology annoys due to the difficulty of finding schematics (it sometimes takes me far too long to find Bullets, seriously screwing me in the early game), and the increased resource management of ammo and whatnot. But the variety makes technology a better option for a subsequent run through, I'd say.