PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter class

berserker7878
2018-09-18, 05:50 AM
Hello,

I am a goliath fighter Lv 7, have 81 Hp, 20 AC (shield + heavy armor)
19 str, 15 dex, 18 cons and 8 int, wids, char.
My martial archetype is the brute (unofficial), +1d4 dmg by atk (lv3), +1d6 by any savings throws all the time (lv7)
have a duel +2 damage by atk,

I play for a year 1 year DD and I noticed that the fighter was rather strong but he lacked a little something to say that this class is good.

For comparison, I find the barbarian a little too strong with its reduction of damage, rage etc .. more if we play half-orc with the rage of the orc (guide xanathar).

Am I the only one to argue that the fighting class is a little weaker than the others?

I play correctly my class, with all the modifiers, the powers etc .., I went to see on the forums etc ..

our group is composed of 5 people, a human cleric, a half-orc barbarian, a rogue efl and a tieflin magician in addition to myself.

I noticed that each character in my group was really good for his task, but that I was only good, I do not fill myself but I find that I miss something, either my class or my race ( Goliath).

In Lv 8 i don't take the up carac, i take a 'don', it's a Big weapon master: when a critical hit or reduce to 0 the pvs of a monster, you can make another attack in bonus action, and before making an attack you can impose a penalty of -5 to the touch and if it succeeds you do +10 damage per attack

It's ok because the cleric give me 1d4 of touch by minute

other question we are Lv 8 our DM is really good it happens to make a good balance, but I think that Lv 8 we do not have enough magic object, we have only one people by rare people, and not necessarily the best. do you have a comment? the monsters they make us meet are really strong and often we are lucky but one day it will stop.

I have a sword of wounding, ok it's very usefull but this sword d'ont give a real bonus damage, beacause the monster succes all the time the throws dice of constitution and never give the necrotik damage

qube
2018-09-18, 06:47 AM
you can't do -5 / +10 (requires heavy weapon) AND get the +2 from dueling (requires one-handed weapon)

my advice.

heavy weapon mastery
makes strength 20 (and thus +1 attack & damage), and helps against many monsters (if your DM doesn't give magic items, I'm assuming your opponent don't have them either - and many monsters with tooth and claw don't count magic anyway)
polearm mastery
use a quarterstaff in 1 hand (so you can use dueling, and shield)
and still get the bonus attack

I have a sword of wounding, ok it's very usefull but this sword d'ont give a real bonus damage, beacause the monster succes all the time the throws dice of constitution and never give the necrotik damagethey FIRST take damage, and THEN roll the save.

so, they should always at least take +1d4 damage per time you hit (only the monster is dead before it's turn starts)

berserker7878
2018-09-18, 07:57 AM
you can't do -5 / +10 (requires heavy weapon) AND get the +2 from dueling (requires one-handed weapon)

heavy sword is automaticly a two handed sword?

No the monster, haven't magic item's but it's verry strong, have a legendary action, passif buff, big saving throws, and for bit it we need magic items for balance this.

i'm a goliath, my strenght for lift, pull, carrier its' double. haven't incidence for weapon?

Xihirli
2018-09-18, 08:01 AM
Heavy is an actual weapon property, you can see it in the weapon list. All Heavy weapons are also two-handed, including ranged weapons.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-18, 10:43 AM
We have multiple Fighters in our group including:

A Dwarven and Goliath Champion
A Human and Tiefling Eldritch Knight
A Human Battlemaster/ Paladin

(Our group is big and many people run multiple characters which we all rotate based on schedules).

The Fighters are often center pieces in combat encounters and many have some abilities that help with exploration as well.

The Dwarf Champion has above avergae Wisdom and the Outlander background so he does great with perception checks, and uses Stone cunning, Masonry, and Brewing of all things to aid in exploration.

The Goliath took Athlete and wears medium armor and helps with physical challenges like climbing, swimming, door opening etc...

The Battlemaster / Paladin uses inspiring leader and Acts as the party face.

The two EKs both contribute in different ways. The Human is nautical themed and uses a familiar and shape water to scout and explore.

The Tiefling by comparison has found a niche where he uses magic to draw attention to himself and act as a decoy, to draw enemies into ambushes. He’a resilient enough to make that work.

All of these characters are highly efficient and deadly in combat while managing to sustain themselves for long engagements.

I am wondering if your problem may be failing to take full advantage of a Fighters consistency in battle and their ability to develop interests outaide of combat via the occasionaly feat or proficiency choice or having a more diverse stat spread.

All of the characters above have some kind of non-optimal stat (above average wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma, etc).

In battle, are you acting tactically?
Are you taking advantage of action surges or using feats?
The class is great.

strangebloke
2018-09-18, 11:49 AM
Four things you should remember as a fighter:

1. Your action surge after 5th level is incredibly powerful. You ever heard of timestop? 9th level spell, seems pretty strong? 25% of the time, action surge is comparable to that. A Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter can deal out buckets of damage in a turn with action surge. And it comes back on a short rest!

2. Your extra ASIs are how you specialize. If you pick up PAM and GWM you will be a monster on the battlefield. You'll dominate physical damage much of the time. If you pick Resilient:Wisdom and Tough, you'll be pretty hard to take down. If you take Prodigy and Shield Master, you'll be able to very consistently knock enemies prone. If on the other hand you go for inspiring leader, gourmand, and healer, you'll be the party medic. You can customize your character a lot through these choices.

3. The fighters features are exceedingly generic, but strong. That leaves a lot of room for creativity and flexibility. Spend time coming up with stunts you could try. Here's a freebie: If you're Two-Weapon fighting a physically weak opponent, you can knock them prone with your first hit, and then then follow up with 2-3 attacks with advantage!

4. You're an ideal target for party buffs. Talk to the wizard about haste. Talk to the cleric about magic weapon.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-18, 12:02 PM
Not sure how you can play an unofficial archetype and then say that the Fighter is weak. Every Fighter I have played or played with have been. Good all around and have carried the party through difficult fights

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 01:00 AM
they FIRST take damage, and THEN roll the save.

so, they should always at least take +1d4 damage per time you hit (only the monster is dead before it's turn starts)

Thks for this, i don't understand that

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 01:03 AM
1. Your action surge after 5th level is incredibly powerful. You ever heard of timestop? 9th level spell, seems pretty strong? 25% of the time, action surge is comparable to that. A Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter can deal out buckets of damage in a turn with action surge. And it comes back on a short rest!

3. The fighters features are exceedingly generic, but strong. That leaves a lot of room for creativity and flexibility. Spend time coming up with stunts you could try. Here's a freebie: If you're Two-Weapon fighting a physically weak opponent, you can knock them prone with your first hit, and then then follow up with 2-3 attacks with advantage!

Nope , what is a time stop? a spell lv 9?

If i knock a enemis what is the result?

And thks for the advice

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 01:06 AM
We have multiple Fighters in our group including:

A Dwarven and Goliath Champion
A Human and Tiefling Eldritch Knight
A Human Battlemaster/ Paladin

(Our group is big and many people run multiple characters which we all rotate based on schedules).

The Fighters are often center pieces in combat encounters and many have some abilities that help with exploration as well.

The Dwarf Champion has above avergae Wisdom and the Outlander background so he does great with perception checks, and uses Stone cunning, Masonry, and Brewing of all things to aid in exploration.

The Goliath took Athlete and wears medium armor and helps with physical challenges like climbing, swimming, door opening etc...

The Battlemaster / Paladin uses inspiring leader and Acts as the party face.

The two EKs both contribute in different ways. The Human is nautical themed and uses a familiar and shape water to scout and explore.

The Tiefling by comparison has found a niche where he uses magic to draw attention to himself and act as a decoy, to draw enemies into ambushes. He’a resilient enough to make that work.

All of these characters are highly efficient and deadly in combat while managing to sustain themselves for long engagements.

I am wondering if your problem may be failing to take full advantage of a Fighters consistency in battle and their ability to develop interests outaide of combat via the occasionaly feat or proficiency choice or having a more diverse stat spread.

All of the characters above have some kind of non-optimal stat (above average wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma, etc).

In battle, are you acting tactically?
Are you taking advantage of action surges or using feats?
The class is great.

Ok thk for the advice,
I do not say that the fighter is weak, but it is more a resenti, I see that my damage is good, but sometimes I find that it is missing something to say, ouuhh it is really excelent, j love my fighter, but sometimes I find the goliath race below the other, compared to the buff that the dwarves, tieflins and half-orc have them in the xanathar guide

AHF
2018-09-19, 07:38 AM
Nope , what is a time stop? a spell lv 9?

If i knock a enemis what is the result?

And thks for the advice

You have advantage on all attacks against a prone enemy if you are within 5 feet. Ranged attacks will have disadvantage if not within 5 feet (and will have disadvantage if they are unless they have crossbow expert feat).

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 08:19 AM
You have advantage on all attacks against a prone enemy if you are within 5 feet. Ranged attacks will have disadvantage if not within 5 feet (and will have disadvantage if they are unless they have crossbow expert feat).

It's a ability of figther? i don't know the source of this ability, it's a good advantage.

Specter
2018-09-19, 08:19 AM
I can understand people thinking Fighter is weak compared to some other classes, but definitely not Barbarian.

- Your archetype feature is pretty much the same as Rage in terms of damage, except it's permanent.
- Barbarian's damage reduction is the best thing it has going that you don't... except you have a higher AC and actually use it, without getting Reckless all the time.
- Non-Frenzy Barbarians have nothing good going on for their saves, while you have plenty.

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 08:25 AM
It's a ability of figther? i don't know the source of this ability, it's a good advantage.

just a last question, my stat is

19 str, 15 dex, 18 cons, 8 in intel cha and widsom, it's better take my augmentaion of carac or a 'don', im a fighter lv7 and i have one blade of wounding and shield.

it's cool for me to take +1 in str and +1 in dec, my modificator up.

berserker7878
2018-09-19, 08:29 AM
I can understand people thinking Fighter is weak compared to some other classes, but definitely not Barbarian.

- Your archetype feature is pretty much the same as Rage in terms of damage, except it's permanent.
- Barbarian's damage reduction is the best thing it has going that you don't... except you have a higher AC and actually use it, without getting Reckless all the time.
- Non-Frenzy Barbarians have nothing good going on for their saves, while you have plenty.

I saw with my DM and actually the fighter is good, it was more a feeling than reality.

I did not understand that my action surge me to do my attack more and my extra attack

Thk for all advice, juste somtimes, i see ' ohh this player make a impressive action', but it's true i don't a real " legendary action" but i'm a constant fighter.

Rfkannen
2018-09-19, 08:29 AM

It's not a fighter ability, look at the back 9f the phb, it's a standard part if the prone condition. Look at the fighting chapter for rules on how to knock people prone.

Tanngrisnr
2018-09-19, 10:41 AM
I do not say that the fighter is weak, but it is more a resenti, I see that my damage is good, but sometimes I find that it is missing something to say, ouuhh it is really excelent, j love my fighter, but sometimes I find the goliath race below the other, compared to the buff that the dwarves, tieflins and half-orc have them in the xanathar guide

For comparison, I find the barbarian a little too strong with its reduction of damage, rage etc .. more if we play half-orc with the rage of the orc (guide xanathar).

Berserker, I apologize in advance if I understood you poorly, but I'm getting the feeling that you are playing with a mix of books translated to your native language and some books with the original English text. This may be causing some confusion amidst your gaming table.

What you call a "buff" that dwarves, tieflings and half-orcs gained in XGtE are actually just feats (what you are calling "don" - ), and not free racial buffs to those races. Members of the races referenced in XGtE feat section need to pay for those abilituies with and ASI, the same as you did when you got the feat Great Weapon Master. Xanathar's feats are far from game breaking, even though some of them are pretty good.

I see the same type of confusion coming from the use of Action Surge (yes, that gives you another full action, with all the extra attacks, as you know now) and the your weapon properties and powers.

Again, sorry if I'm mistaken.

just a last question, my stat is

19 str, 15 dex, 18 cons, 8 in intel cha and widsom, it's better take my augmentaion of carac or a 'don', im a fighter lv7 and i have one blade of wounding and shield.

it's cool for me to take +1 in str and +1 in dec, my modificator up.

What kind of armor are you wearing? I don't see a reason for you to up Dex one more time, unless you plan to go for the Medium Armor Master don.

I'd go for Sentinel or maybe Shield Master and then Athlete.

Also, think about how effective Great Weapon Master has been to you. You have dueling fighting style and a shield. Maybe you can talk to your DM and see if you can swap the feat for another one, or maybe use the full benefits of the feat even if you're not using a heavy weapon (I would allow your character a reduced hit penalty in exchange for reduced bonus damage, something like -2/+3, instead of the regular -5/+10).

MilkmanDanimal
2018-09-19, 11:34 AM
One thing to remember is there are ways to provide value outside of just dealing damage; yes, the barbarian will very possibly outstrip you there, but you a high AC and are likely harder to hit. My group has a fighter who doesn't do much damage, but he runs into combat and uses Sentinel to lock things down, and gets in the way while other people pile on the damage.

Take Sentinel with your next available ASI/feat and focus on defense; heck, charge into combat and dodge making it very hard to hit you, and use Sentinel to stop the movement of anyone who tries to get by you. You may not do huge damage, but it's an incredibly valuable thing to have you basically be the wall in the middle of the battlefield, keeping everybody else safe.

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 02:26 AM
Berserker, I apologize in advance if I understood you poorly, but I'm getting the feeling that you are playing with a mix of books translated to your native language and some books with the original English text. This may be causing some confusion amidst your gaming table.

What you call a "buff" that dwarves, tieflings and half-orcs gained in XGtE are actually just feats (what you are calling "don" - ), and not free racial buffs to those races. Members of the races referenced in XGtE feat section need to pay for those abilituies with and ASI, the same as you did when you got the feat Great Weapon Master. Xanathar's feats are far from game breaking, even though some of them are pretty good.

I see the same type of confusion coming from the use of Action Surge (yes, that gives you another full action, with all the extra attacks, as you know now) and the your weapon properties and powers.

Again, sorry if I'm mistaken.

What kind of armor are you wearing? I don't see a reason for you to up Dex one more time, unless you plan to go for the Medium Armor Master don.

I'd go for Sentinel or maybe Shield Master and then Athlete.

Also, think about how effective Great Weapon Master has been to you. You have dueling fighting style and a shield. Maybe you can talk to your DM and see if you can swap the feat for another one, or maybe use the full benefits of the feat even if you're not using a heavy weapon (I would allow your character a reduced hit penalty in exchange for reduced bonus damage, something like -2/+3, instead of the regular -5/+10).

Yes sometimes i don't use the right words.
I have a 'Harnois' it's heavy armor, +18 AC.
I talk to my DM for your idea (-2 touch,+3 dmg), it's a good idea.

Tanngrisnr
2018-09-20, 09:29 AM
If you are using heavy armor, there is no need for you to spend another point in Dexterity, unless you really REALLY wanna even out that ability score.

My suggestion is that for 8th level you go for +1Str and +1 Wis, so later (lvl 10) you can get the feat Resilient (Wisdom); or go for any feat that adds +1 Str.

djreynolds
2018-09-20, 08:28 PM
The fighter class is about consistency. Laying down that steady damage.

In respect to your teammates, they always know what you're doing in terms of damage output.

Let's say with a long sword and 19 strength and dueling style, you doing an average of say 11 points of damage per attack or 22 points of damage per turn.

The rogue knows when can he/she skirt in and help finish off the monster your fighting.

The wizard knows that after 3 rounds, you have damaged the gang your holding back for roughly 60 points of damage and that properly placed AoE spell can now finish them off.

The fighter is about that very important and consistent "average" damage output.

The fighter does this all day long. No powers or spells or resources used.

At level 11, you now have the ability to focus those 3 attacks on one enemy or spread it out.

Fighters are really the ultimate consistant teammate.