PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Eldritch knight with Ritual caster feat..where's the limit?

dehro
2018-09-18, 05:58 AM
Using only the PHB, the eldritch knight has access to spells going up to the fourth level tops, as he levels up.
Ritual casting gives access, by spellbook, to the wizard's rituals, which go up to level 6.
Would it be possible for an eldritch knight to perform a 5th or 6th level ritual?
I'm really thinking that no, it wouldn't be...but is that also true by RAW? I don't see any limitation spelled out in the feat itself.
Furthermore, the description says
"The spell must be on the spelllist for the class you chose, the spell's level can be no higher than half your level (rounded up), and it must have the ritual tag."
What "half your level" does it refer to? half your total level? your caster level? the level of spells you have access to? I assume it's caster level..
so a fifth level character who is a single class fighter-eldritch knight, would be a third level caster and get access to rituals of 1st and 2nd level (rounding up)? except by that level the eldritch knight doesn't have, on his own steam, access to second level spells yet... so... what gives? Can he ignore that particular limitation and enjoy full benefit of the feat despite not being per sé a full caster? Is there a ruling or is this one of those "ask yuor DM" things?

On a separate note, since a ritual caster can pick any one class to perform the rituals of and he already has access to wizard magic through his spellcasting ability, would it pay off to pick another class instead, maybe cleric, for rituals? Or is the list of rituals for the wizard just that much better than the others?

Asmotherion
2018-09-18, 06:17 AM
Considering it's a Feat that's accesible to Non casters as well, "Level" is refearing to Character Level, not Caster Level. Practically, if there were 9th level Rituals (or if there are some homebrew ones in your Campain), your Eldritch Knight, or even a Barbarian with the same Feat would be able to Transcribe them to their Ritual Book by level 17 (17/2=8,5 Rounded Up=9).

Basically, the same level that a full caster would have his first 9th level slot, if you follow a full caster's tables. This holds true for all spell levels, I'm using 9th as an example.

The only limits are that, as long as you don't have the appropriate spell slot, you can only cast said spell as a ritual, as long as you have the Ritual Book and Components at hand. I do think that, as long as you have the appropriate spell slot, you can use it, but this may not hold true from DM to DM. Don't bet on it on any case. If your DM's world is designed around that the idea, go for it. If not, take it like a man.

dehro
2018-09-18, 07:24 AM
Considering it's a Feat that's accesible to Non casters as well, "Level" is refearing to Character Level, not Caster Level.

I should have thought of that...
Thank you :smallsmile: