PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerous Origin: Warrior's Spirit

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-09-18, 09:09 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rIIjP7Fr6Mw3M90TncRbwBgNGDEvL9c8KeDe61rN4mo/edit?usp=sharing

College has given me a lot of free time, and I've been in a homebrewy mood. This is one of the ideas that I'm actually pretty happy with. Most martial classes have a quasi-caster variant, and most casters have a quasi-martial variant. The only caster to really defy that was sorcerer, so I made a version all about integrating magic and martial combat. While I am pretty happy with it as stands, I'm always happy to hear criticism and suggestions on how to better balance it. If you like this, feel free to check out some of my other homebrew stuff (even though it probably hasn't aged terribly well).

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 09:18 AM
So one thing I notice with this subclass is possibly an un-intended consequence

Unresting Creation - If you wanted to, you could literally do this every as long as you have a spell slot available.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-09-18, 09:49 AM
So one thing I notice with this subclass is possibly an un-intended consequence

Unresting Creation - If you wanted to, you could literally do this every as long as you have a spell slot available.

Good catch. Do you think the differences between creating and converting a spell slot would be enough? I know you lose 2 sorcery points or so each time, but I don't know that would be enough.

Thundersteel
2018-09-18, 01:09 PM
My initial thought is that a "Channel Spell" ability fits very well into the concept. I seem to recall a feat for this back in 3.5, but I could be getting lost in the fog of memory.

Something akin to:
When making a weapon attack, you can cast a spell as part of it. If the target is struck by the attack, they suffer the full affect of the spell. The spells range and area of affected is changed to that of the weapon it's being channeled through.

Ie, if I cast a fireball through a melee attack, I deal the extra 8d6 fire damage plus the weapon damage, but lose the range and radius of the fireball. If I cast Blindness, the target is blinded, and so on.

If it playtests out to being too easy to go nova, you might add a cost of sorcery points to it activating it.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-09-18, 04:23 PM
My initial thought is that a "Channel Spell" ability fits very well into the concept. I seem to recall a feat for this back in 3.5, but I could be getting lost in the fog of memory.

Something akin to:
When making a weapon attack, you can cast a spell as part of it. If the target is struck by the attack, they suffer the full affect of the spell. The spells range and area of affected is changed to that of the weapon it's being channeled through.

Ie, if I cast a fireball through a melee attack, I deal the extra 8d6 fire damage plus the weapon damage, but lose the range and radius of the fireball. If I cast Blindness, the target is blinded, and so on.

If it playtests out to being too easy to go nova, you might add a cost of sorcery points to it activating it.

I like that a lot. It’s distinct enough from say what the Eldritch Knight gets, and it’s consistent with the theme. I’m thinking something a bit more like a paladin’s smite spells. The spells can’t be above 5th level (no disintegrating sword) and you have to maintain concentration on it so there are stakes to having what would be a powerful auto-hit spell.

Also, how does the 14th level ability look? I like it thematically, but I also feel like I made some options way better than the others, and I’m not too confident on how it would play out in reality.

Thundersteel
2018-09-18, 06:37 PM
I like that a lot. It’s distinct enough from say what the Eldritch Knight gets, and it’s consistent with the theme. I’m thinking something a bit more like a paladin’s smite spells. The spells can’t be above 5th level (no disintegrating sword) and you have to maintain concentration on it so there are stakes to having what would be a powerful auto-hit spell.

Also, how does the 14th level ability look? I like it thematically, but I also feel like I made some options way better than the others, and I’m not too confident on how it would play out in reality.

I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about it. "Apply metamagic to attacks" is a good theme to run with, but it in the end it feels like a lot of sort of minor miscellaneous powers instead of one big punchy one.
I'm not sure how to rectify it.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-09-19, 02:04 PM
I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about it. "Apply metamagic to attacks" is a good theme to run with, but it in the end it feels like a lot of sort of minor miscellaneous powers instead of one big punchy one.
I'm not sure how to rectify it.

That's my concern. My idea for a big punchy ability would be to basically cast haste with sorcery points, but that feels like a huge letdown.